Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Window Tinting Precautions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Window Tinting Precautions

I just got my windows tinted on my xA, and the guy who did them told me to not roll them down for a couple of days and all that. I was just wondering if anyone of you guys has some tips for not screwing up my newly tinted windows. And also, what do you suggest washing them with?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member

i use invisible glass on mine. Just look for a indication on the label of any window cleaner that says that it is safe on tinted windows.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh... it's mostly all a pseudo-urban legend passed on by crappy window tinters

unless the tinter left a huge amount of water under the film and on top of that, didn't tuck the bottom edge of the film an inch or two past the plastic window seals - you can roll the windows down. Film starts sticking to glass within a few minutes and if done properly - is nearly 1/2 dry before it ever even leaves the shop. It's more than OK to roll the windows down at that point.

If the job was done right, there's no reason you can't roll them down right away - its more a force of habit that bad tinters pass that 'advice' along.

Products with ammonis tend to eat at plastic (it' snot just TINT... but rather anything made of PLASTIC - including door panels, dasjes etc) Clean the windows with a soft damp cloth and they'll be fine.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

eh WindowTinT..

I gotta question for you...

I just got my tint about a week today. Well after I wash the car and started detailing, I notice that the driver side window has this tiny trail of little circles. Are they little pockets of air that I can get rid of with say a heat gun?

...Its really bothering me because everything else looks great! I just think that the installer may have missing a spot??
Old 10-17-2004, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I assume these spots look very silverish/whitish from the outside but from the inside not so noticable. (if they are just a light blackish foggy color - - probably just water)

hard to say without seeing it - but by the sound of it it is either 1. a dust trail or 2., a small trail of air bubbles that developed during the drying process (becuase he didn't push out enough water at the start - and air suspended in the water congregrated into small bubbles)

either one is not 'fixable', a brand new peice of film needs to be installed.

take it back to the place that did it and show them - if they say it's "normal - don't worry" etc.... and you're still not confident in their answer, you can try to take it to another shop and just ask their opinion. If it's an incorrect job, the other shop will most likely rat them out on the spot. (but be warned - you might also get a very unwelcome reception at the 'other' tint shop since you weren't their customer and they never got any money from you... some shops are weird about that - but not all)
Old 10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome, thanks guys. I just tried rolling down the windows, and nothing happened with the tint, so that's good. Yesterday, however, I noticed that there seemed to be those bubbles in the film. I was really worried, but they seemed to have dissappeared today. Does that ever happen?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That happens on ALL tint jobs. It's the water drying out. Part of the entire process.