Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Windshield Pits/Chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM
SL Member

Default Windshield Pits/Chips

Can these pits be fixed? How about Safelite? I know they fix bigger chips/bullseyes/spiderwebs and such, but anything in this category? How about some kind of resin or polish? It wouldn't bother me as much but it is right in the line of sight. As you can see there are 3 or 4 tiny pits, they are not as small as the 50 that are already on the windshield throughout that you can only see when sunlight is shining through a certain angle. Those don't bother me. But these do. I put a penny in there for scale. I can feel them with my fingernail unlike all the others, they definitely have depth to them.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Windshield pits/scratches are tricky to remove. In general, if a scratch is deep enough that you can catch it with a fingernail, then theres not much you can do about it.

You can polish out finer scratches with a glass polish, but since you're actually removing glass in the process, you can easily mess up the glass, either by introducing more scratches and hazing, or by removing too much material in the wrong places and changing the optical properties of the glass. Having a nice "wavy" patch in your glass is both distracting and unsafe.

Honestly, for the time and effort its going to take, and the fact that you can't even be certain of getting satisfactory results, replacing the windshield is probably a better option. Id of course wait a few years since the windshield looks great otherwise.

The good news about pits is no repair is needed, the bad news nothing can be done to permanently improve the pits appearance.

FYI, pits are caused mainly by 2 things.

A. Fine grit blasting the glass surface. You can minimize this effect by not following so close to the vehicle in front of you...this also helps prevent rock chips to your paint.

B. Tree sap left on your glass for any length of time will etch the surface of the glass. Its good to never let this stuff sit and harden.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM
SL Member

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time. I guess I am going to have to replace it, since I am quite obsessive and it distracts me. Got my car in April and already this happens. I have paint chips from rocks on my hood and front of car, at least they are staring at me in the face though. I think this is too tough a challenge for me and my OCD.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are just going to replace the glass anyway, you could at least try one of the numerous repair methods....it might not be an "invisible" repair, but it might be good enough that you can live with it.

Google:

"windshield repair" methods DIY

and see what you come up with.

Na Zdrowie!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:26 AM
SL Member

thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM
SL Member

bump
Old 04-02-2009, 05:45 AM

Call your insurance company and see if they can put you in touch with somebody to get that fixed or look in the phone book. I know where I get my oil changed at Kwik Kar Lube and Tune they have somebody there that does it. They can fix that. Anyhow back on subject, yes insurance understands how much cheaper it is to fix the cracks then replace the windows so ...hopefully next week you will have no more chips. Get it done soon. I've seen chips like that spread out over the entire window overnight. i think theres a service through mitsubishi called diamond star protection or something thats made to protect mainly your windshield, and the rest of your windows, im not sure if they still do it, but when the evos were first introduced to the u.s. they offered something along those lines.

Replacement Auto Glass
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just changed my wiper blades today to see a strange mark on the windshield about 3 inches long right in front of drivers side, it appeared to be a smeared bug, but after trying everything it appears to be a very mild scuff/scratch or something done by the old wipers =( , It is not deep for the nail to catch and is just surface, I tried home depot and they didn't carry glass polish (so they said) I just came across an article that says to use salt to polish, anyone have any ideas how to fix this ?