Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Affordable LONG-term run data Back Up solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Affordable LONG-term run data Back Up solution?

Hello everyone. I want every ones opinion about long term data back up solutions. This is not about saving dozens of terrabytes of data, this id not for company or big files. This is more about personal stuff like family/friend videos and pictures. I have up to 200gb of pictures/vids of my life and basically i lost them all once like a good 5 years ago when my external HDD took a crap and i almost lost it a few weeks ago when my internal HDD stopped working and wont show up in the bios or OS. Fortunately i found out ( thanks google) that my HDD was made with a glitch that might lock up the hdd because of a firmware problem. So it got fixed by seagate for free.. YAAAY!
Back on topic: so Hard Drives not meant or long term data back up solutions.. they will die eventually for a handfull of different reasons pretty much between as soon as you turn it on and they age of a couple of years.
Online Data Back up... sounds good but there are only 1 or two that offers UNLIMITED data for a yearly subscription. I just paid for carbonite around $50 for a year but upload 200gb would take me around 2 months or more if i dont run my pc for a month always ON.
and then its 50 dollars a year... thats 500 dollars for 10 years. If the price wont change or the company does not go out of business.
Cds? too small! Tape? yeah... 30 years guarantied but i dont want to spend 3000 dollars
DVDs are also small..
Blu Ray maybe?
burner for the computer is like $100
Then 10 discs ( 250GB which is enough for me to back up EVERYTHING) $40? of course probably ritek, verbatim

what do you guys think?