Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Aftermarket Steering Wheel: Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FLINT
just wear a helmet
lol, this is definitely the most insanely reiculous thing to do to fix a problem..

and I don't mean that in a bad way bro, I started laughing out loud when I read that, lol..

ahh man, that's too much..
Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by guitarguru44
just wear a helmet
lol, this is definitely the most insanely reiculous thing to do to fix a problem..

and I don't mean that in a bad way bro, I started laughing out loud when I read that, lol..

I've worn my motocross helmet while driving my tC..people give the weirdest looks sometimes. It is definitely worth just going out with a friend (who is also wearing a helmet) and driving around town for a while.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha, my father gets really wierd looks when he drives my car, i cold just imagine the looks i would get wearing a helmet...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
just wear a helmet

I've worn my motocross helmet while driving my tC..people give the weirdest looks sometimes. It is definitely worth just going out with a friend (who is also wearing a helmet) and driving around town for a while.
hell yea. I'm gonna do this. I hate wearing seatbelts. Seatbelts are for pussies.

And if I get pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt, I'll just the him to step off and then explain that is what the helmet is for. He'll understand I'm sure.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i do hope your joking....
Old 03-25-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by RapierTL
just wear a helmet

hell yea. I'm gonna do this. I hate wearing seatbelts. Seatbelts are for pussies.

And if I get pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt, I'll just the him to step off and then explain that is what the helmet is for. He'll understand I'm sure.
I take no responsibility when you DO get a ticket.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RapierTL
just wear a helmet

I take no responsibility when you DO get a ticket.
or end up spread over a few hundred feet on the highway
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, i hope he's joking too cuz i think its a pretty rediculous concept. A helmet wont prevent much without seatbelt..
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

lol, i hope he's joking too cuz i think its a pretty rediculous concept. A helmet wont prevent much without seatbelt..
The helmet was a joke...not intended as a safety restraint replacement. And honestly, anyone who thinks "Seatbelts are for pussies." really needs to get his facts straight and quit trying to compensate.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And keep your eyes on the road, not the steering wheel. ;)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 PM
fox
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wear a helmet
I just pictured an episode of Jackass!!! I could see anyone trying to explain to another motorist that you wear a helmet because you have no airbag
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all of yal r silly. i'm glad my reply was enjoyed by many of u.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM
SL Member

As someone who pretty much only drives modified cars, the laws are odd. Here is my take. I am not a lawyer, this is not advice.

1. It is totally legal to remove your airbag. If you are a mechanic, there is a form you are supposed to fill out and send in to NHTSA to cover your butt legally for liability reasons.
2. Most states have laws against 'removing or modifying safely equipment'. This is the one a ******** cop could use if you anger him. I have NEVER had this happen in 20 years. California is the possible exception, as they tend to actually enforce the asinine laws.
3. Aftermarket steering wheels in general are legal, as are 'suicide spinners', fuzzy dice, and other myth prone objects. They even make aftermarket wheels with space for stock airbags if that's your style. Do it all while driving barefoot. Its cool.
4. It is legal to run a helmet in most states, but it only replaces the need for a windshield, not safety harnesses. In fact, without a front window (roadster, trike, motorcycle) you generally must wear eye protection of some kind, even in states without a helmet law.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-15-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:55 PM
Azz
SL Member

Hey Kam

Dr-Isotope had a good detailed answer.

As a supplement: here in Ontario, Canada, air bags are categorized as a SRS, a supplementary restraint system. And these systems are not legally required systems, otherwise all pre 1994 vehicles would be scrapped.

They can be removed, but *not* modified, as long as your primary restraint system is still functional. Read: seatbelt works

As for steering wheel, our only legal requirement is a functional horn switch. Nice, eh

Personally, i'd take a walk into a police station & ask a traffic enforcement officer their take. Do it in another region tho - that extra distance might he relevant down the road [sic].

Cheers
Azz