Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Any car salesman here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Any car salesman here?

I was thinking lately about getting out of the IT field and selling cars. After years of college and some time in the IT field I've learned I really can't stand it. Between all the outsourcing, crappy pay, and no room for advancement it seems like I just need to find sometihng else. I've always thought about selling cars, but always heard how much it really sucks. My friend got a job last summer selling toyotas/scions and he loves it and makes what I make in a month in a pay easily. He keeps trying to get me to do it and keeps telling me how good it is and how easy it is. So anyone else sell cars and actually liked doing it? I'd jump on it, but the no pay unless you sell stuff is kinda making me weary to try it.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way to do it is to jump head first into it. It is a tough job, don't let anyone fool you. People hate you before they meet you, it's a salesman's job to get past all that. If you tend to be somewhat personable with people, that's a good step. Thick skin and the ability to let the negative out of your head is mandatory. Just because some brat treats you like a douche, doesn't mean you get go sulk in the corner for the rest of the day. Think about a QB that throws an interception, they have to let it go, same thing.

The other thing is the long hours. Plan on 6 days and 70+ hours/week. Vacations are tough to get as well. This is one of the arenas that the store you goto work for can make all the difference. Every store is different here. I've heard of 4 days on 3 days off type schedules, I've heard of 7 days/week, I've heard them all. Find out from your friend what it's like there.

The owner also makes all the difference. The owner/GM's make the pay plans, find out how long the pay plan has been in place, if they say a few years, it's probably a good store. I worked at one store that changed the plan every other month; not good.

You also want to know how long the current crop of managers have been there; stabilty is a good thing.

Now, on the plus side: 95% of all car salesmen suck. And I mean, reaaaaally suck. They don't follow up, they're lazy, they think they can tell you if someone driving up is going to be a deal. But most of all, they're lazy. They hang out together on a corner of the store, smoke, drink coffee, and tell old war stories...rather than focusing on getting themselves in front of a customer. You can't sell if you don't have a customer. Anyone can learn how to sell as well. There's a few key things you need to know, and a handfull of word tracks to keep things on track for selling the vehicle.

Keys: nothing sells like excitement and sincerity. Get excited, the customer gets excited. Demonstrate clear sincerity for your customers needs/budget, and they will not only come buy their next car from you, but they will bring you their friends, family, and co-workers. But you have to follow up with them on a regular, like twice within the first 2 weeks, and a third time within 3 - 6 mos. After that, birthdays and anniverseries (the day they bought their car) are great annual follow up system.

Marry the customer for life, and with 5 years you'll never meet another stranger on the lot (or random up), you'll sell 25-40 cars a month, and bring home 120k or more.

Demonstrate clear professionalism and the ability to make things happen without being micromanaged, and you can be a desk manager making upwards of 200k.

What this means to you: There is tremendous opportunity in the business for someone with drive, dedication, focus, and the ability to get people on their side.

If you decide to do this, let me know, I've got a great manual I can email to you.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Awesome! Good luck Brian if you decide to do this!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here, try this.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

It's a reporter's for Edmunds.com's experience getting work as a car salesman and seeing how it really is to be in the trenches.

Short version - it all depends on how the dealership is managed, their philosophy that they spout publicly i.e. "Customer service" vs. what their actual actions and practices are "price them in low on the car and pile on uesless options!".
Commission / Salary / Commission & Salary

Plan on working all weekend, and Friday evenings. That's usually when customers come in.

Don't forget sh!+ flows downhill. Salesmen are usually at the bottom of the hill. You really need to pick a good dealership - one that fits your style.

A car dealership is selling the their own profit on (almost) any given car because the ususal MSRP isn't sufficiently fat to give good profit.

From what I hear, it's a high turnover business (like Fast-Food). Salesmen come and go rapidly.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I read that last night again, it actually made me want to do it even more.

I usually end up working all weekend as it is (36hrs) where I work now, at least the 12+ hour days aren't overnight. I'm already at the bottom of the pile here, they always make it our fault if something goes wrong above us. Where I work also is a revolving door. Guess it's about the same environment that I work in now, but at least I can make some money and am not trapped in a windowless building for 12 hours overnight.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ChimChim
Awesome! Good luck Brian if you decide to do this!
I think I should talk to Sean since he said they are hiring. I'm thinking Toyota or Subaru or maybe even Chevy. The salesman always seem to be pretty happy at those dealerships.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep with the Toyotas and/or Subies. The products sell themselves. I was once at a Dodge store, and everytime we took on a Honda or Toyota salesman, they just griped about how everything was so much better where they were before. I eventually got tired of it, and would just tell them, "so if it was so good, why'd you screw it up and get fired?"
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Don't sell Chevys Brian! What are you thinking?!??!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My friend's friend sells them at Day Chevy and makes enough to own an evo and they all seem happy over there

But I really want to sell Toyota/Scions, Hondas, or Subarus
I'd really like to do Lexus, Infiniti or something upscale like that, but they definitely don't hire first timers.
As long as it isn't Ford or Dodge, their salesman always seem so unhappy
Old 02-07-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Don't sell American.. you'll regret it.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm not gonna go domestic
I wouldn't mind working at North Hills or Baierl Toyota though.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by smoke20
My friend's friend sells them at Day Chevy and makes enough to own an evo and they all seem happy over there

But I really want to sell Toyota/Scions, Hondas, or Subarus
I'd really like to do Lexus, Infiniti or something upscale like that, but they definitely don't hire first timers.
As long as it isn't Ford or Dodge, their salesman always seem so unhappy
I would say go for something that you are going to be comfortable selling. I already know you are familiar with Subarus and Toyota. Give one of them a try.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Any car salesman here?

I was thinking lately about getting out of the IT field and selling cars. After years of college and some time in the IT field I've learned I really can't stand it. Between all the outsourcing, crappy pay, and no room for advancement it seems like I just need to find sometihng else. I've always thought about selling cars, but always heard how much it really sucks. My friend got a job last summer selling toyotas/scions and he loves it and makes what I make in a month in a pay easily. He keeps trying to get me to do it and keeps telling me how good it is and how easy it is. So anyone else sell cars and actually liked doing it? I'd jump on it, but the no pay unless you sell stuff is kinda making me weary to try it.
Dude, i dont know what you're talking about, no room for advancement? I've been in the IT field for only 3+ years myself and i'm making QUITE good money, shoot..with a few more certs i could easily DOUBLE what I make now and become a system engineer/admin....what do you do in the IT field? System admins can easily make 80g's a month, then theres database engineers, IS&C, programming, web development....
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdorkx
Dude, i dont know what you're talking about, no room for advancement? I've been in the IT field for only 3+ years myself and i'm making QUITE good money, shoot..with a few more certs i could easily DOUBLE what I make now and become a system engineer/admin....what do you do in the IT field? System admins can easily make 80g's a month, then theres database engineers, IS&C, programming, web development....
I think what you mean is that with an MBA, 20 years in the business, and being as politically savvy as tech savvy, you can make your way into a fortune 500 company as a CIO and then make that kind of money. And no, not easily. There are probably less than 100 salried techie positions in the country that will pay that. Some of the better independent contractors can do that, but once again, not easily and not for long time.

SysAdmins can, however, easily make 8 - 12g's/month in large markets, and there are loads of those positions. But, the market is being inundated with talent, and the positions are drying up as more and more are being shipped over to India.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Originally Posted by xdorkx
I think what you mean is that with an MBA, 20 years in the business, and being as politically savvy as tech savvy, you can make your way into a fortune 500 company as a CIO and then make that kind of money. And no, not easily. There are probably less than 100 salried techie positions in the country that will pay that. Some of the better independent contractors can do that, but once again, not easily and not for long time.

SysAdmins can, however, easily make 8 - 12g's/month in large markets, and there are loads of those positions. But, the market is being inundated with talent, and the positions are drying up as more and more are being shipped over to India.
LOL, my bad, 80g's a YEAR
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Maybe out in cali IT makes decent money, definitely not in the middle of western PA. What pays 80k out there pays in the 30k region here and starting out in the IT field you get jealous because Walmart employees make almost what you do, if you can even find a job since there are so little IT jobs available out here. And when you find one, you end up losing your job or are in constant fear of losing your job to india like at where I work
Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe out in cali IT makes decent money, definitely not in the middle of western PA. What pays 80k out there pays in the 30k region here and starting out in the IT field you get jealous because Walmart employees make almost what you do, if you can even find a job since there are so little IT jobs available out here. And when you find one, you end up losing your job or are in constant fear of losing your job to india like at where I work
don't be jealous, 80k/year in cali is dang near the equivilant of minimum wage in the midwest....just ask a realator out there to show you something in the low to mid 100's. :p
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, shoot yeah, i was in vegas this weekend, NICE houses starting at 220k, those same houses in southern calif would cost 750k+ i would imagine.....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be worse. There's a neighborhood in London that goes for about 8k/square foot, and somebody listed a 77sq ft "apt" for $340k. That's right seventy seven square feet for three hundred and fourty thousand dollars. You could literaly stand in the room and touch two parallel walls with both hands at the same time.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can get nice houses out here for a little under a 100k

Quick Reply: Any car salesman here?