Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Any car salesman here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The job market is very different here in PA than it is out in Cali.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah it's way different out here in mulletville lol
Old 02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love california, oh..and 80k a year would not be equivelant to a min wage job out there, 80k here is pretty good actually...mayb3 30k might be, but not 80..i make decent money, but not close to 80k..yet
Old 02-09-2007, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdorkx
I love california, oh..and 80k a year would not be equivelant to a min wage job out there, 80k here is pretty good actually...mayb3 30k might be, but not 80..i make decent money, but not close to 80k..yet
Hyperbole
Old 02-09-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hyper what?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey im only 20 and sell toyota,scion, suzuki,and chevy and average about 20-25 cars per month. sometimes its cake but you always get the customers with a 450 credit score that want an avalon for 300 max per month with 0 down. then you gots to be the bearer of bad news. also it depends on the location were the dealer is located. i love my job,but you work long hour, spend little to none time with your family and have to deal with alot of stress sometimes. ahhh sometimes i wish every one in this world was a 775 credit score and is realistic
Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Hyper what?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The more I read about it and the more advice I get from salesman the more I want to go out and do it.

I just need to get past the how will I pay my bills until I sell my first car thing. I guess some dealers pay you for the first few weeks or so while they train you and some don't.

I already have a stressfull job with long hours so I don't mind it at all anymore. I kinda like the idea of how I can choose my own destiny unlike here, I get paid no matter if I slack off all night or bust ___ all night. It's just such a dull and boring the same thing happens every night job. I want something that's different everyday.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by smoke20
The more I read about it and the more advice I get from salesman the more I want to go out and do it.

I just need to get past the how will I pay my bills until I sell my first car thing. I guess some dealers pay you for the first few weeks or so while they train you and some don't.

I already have a stressful job with long hours so I don't mind it at all anymore. I kinda like the idea of how I can choose my own destiny unlike here, I get paid no matter if I slack off all night or bust butt all night. It's just such a dull and boring the same thing happens every night job. I want something that's different everyday.

The stress, in this business, is generally self-induced. It's not like we're in law enforcement or fighting fires or teaching. If you show up to work, then work, you will almost always be fine. Just be sure to sock some money away in the good months to be ready for a slow one. (or keep your bills low in the first place)

Good luck to you.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Hyperbole

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

For example:

Salary in Orange County CA: $80,000
Comparable salary in Harrisburg PA: $53,500.5

Or more of a tech support type pay:

Salary in Orange County CA: $50,000
Comparable salary in Harrisburg PA: $33,437.81
Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ That seems about right. But keep in mind, a 1200 sq ft. fixer upper in Watts now goes for $300 - $400k.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I wish tech support paid that much over here, most are closer to $20k, if your lucky maybe $25k. Guess being in the IT field in a largely blue collar area wasn't the best idea. Though most tech support has gone to india anyways.

So I've been reading a bunch and got some books on selling cars, so after I read up more and feel more comfortable with how stuff works I'll go and apply at a few dealerships. I just don't want to walk in asking for a job and not having a clue about anything.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20-25k? WOW thats ____, lol, i make....well.. well over double that, lol...you need to leave PA and get to a more 'technical' state
Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck btw
Old 02-12-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The sad thing is that wendy's has a big sign on their window here saying $10hr, toys 'r us is hiring at $11hr, and wal mart pays nearly $10hr, it's really sad that wendy's pays what most entry level - just out of college IT jobs pay around here. All my friends I went to school with moved to where the jobs are at like NOVA and make great money.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, well i'm not saying what i make, but i make over 20 an hour, and that was my starting pay....in the upper 40's...
No degree, just experience... :-)
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smoke,
did you get that Road to a Sell?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

From Zero to Hero: How to Master the Art of Selling Cars and Selling Cars: The Handbook of the Professional, are the two books I got this time, I just picked out the highest rated ones off amazon since I had no clue which ones to get.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Is an internet sales sales position really as good as alot of the books/websites make it out to be? The chevy dealer down the street from me is looking for one and actually emailed me back. I always thought you had to work your way up to internet or fleet sales from what I've read or are they just in that big of a need to sell chevy's?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smoke20
Is an internet sales sales position really as good as alot of the books/websites make it out to be? The chevy dealer down the street from me is looking for one and actually emailed me back. I always thought you had to work your way up to internet or fleet sales from what I've read or are they just in that big of a need to sell chevy's?
Internet sales can be very good. A buddy of mine does it in Brunswick and made close to 100k last year, if not more. I know he had about 15k Year to Date by mid Feb. It's like everything, it is what you make it.

Now, the real question is how much support you'd be getting from the dealership. Are they going to give you a budget for marketing? How much is that budget? What is the track record of the internet sales now? What are they looking to do with it? How are you going to be paid?

These are the questions you need to be asking. At some dealerships, internet sales is just there so that they can claim to have it, and they just put someone that knows something about computers (dealerships are filled with ignorant fools, and if you can change a screen saver, they think you are a computer God) At others, they aggresively promote it, and realize the opportunity that can be there.

So where does this leave you? It's a foot in the door. Make sure they are going to pay you right, and jump in if it's ok. You want a salary at that position. Internet deals are notoriously low grossers, which is why savvy customers love it, and GM's hate it. It may not be the 60k+ that many of the salesmen are making on the floor, but as long as you can pay your bills, put some dough away, and enjoy a few things, it can be a golden opportunity for you.

You'll get a desk, a computer, won't be standing for 10 hours a day, a lot better hours than everyone else, and you'll avoid a lot of the brain damage the guys on the floor get from idiot customers. Your leads/ups will be ready to buy, will know what they want, and will likely know what they are going to pay.

Our internet guy works 8-5 (sometimes till 4) M-F. He makes about 400/week with benifits, is semi-retired, and is just doing this because he isn't to fishing and really loves working with people. Our dealership is not very aggressive with the internet tho. Others are and sell upwards of 500 units a month on the internet. We maybe do 10 on a good month.

Quick Reply: Any car salesman here?