Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Any Linux users out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any Linux users out there?

Nerds come out of the closet, UNITE! Form of....a PC! Shape of....a MOTHERBOARD!

Any linux users out there? I am making the complete switch soon, not sure which flavor I will go with yet...likely SuSE since ive already got it.

I have used Gentoo, SuSE, Red Hat and long ago an older Mandrake version.

I may actually use a 32 bit base version for gaming....and 64 bit SuSE for email, web browsing and office suite etc.....
Old 11-29-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Linspire but haven't had a chance to install it yet. It will go on one of my machines eventually, but I doubt it will ever replace my windows PC because of game compatibility. Linspire is pretty cool and they have a subscription service (if I understand it right) that has a library of compatible programs and stuff. It's worth a look.

http://www.linspire.com/

*edit* I have been thinking about building a PC for my XB, and if I did I would use Linspire because of the media compatibility.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Use to have a dual boot system with Mandrake 10 on one hdd, and XP pro on the other. That was until my hdd with Mandrake started to go bad. I've been lazy and haven't installed another hdd yet. But when I do, whatever the latest Mandrake is, I will be installing.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm familiar with linux, just don't have it installed. I'm a fan of Fedora, but they're starting to test Core 5, so I'll wait on that before I switch back. I am an avid user of Apple OS X on my iBook, and I am a die-hard fan of apple. I use windows at home too, but the dang thing runs 22 processes at start up, most of the services are shut down, and I run AVG Free AV software. It's only for games which consists of Halo, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2 and Sims 2 University.

Stinks because I support Windows XP at work... Thankfully I was able to hack my file system at work and now I use something called Blackbox, which is a shell replacement program for windows. blackbox.exe replaces explorer.exe and runs*nix command files and also offers full windows progam compatibility.