Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Any Mormon Members?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Any Mormon Members?

Just wanted to know if their are any Mormon ScionLife members other then me
Old 11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Let me take a wild guess.....your white?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
Let me take a wild guess.....your white?

I'm French/Mexican. :D Is it not a stereotype to say that all mormons are white....but a large majority are . (But I am pretty pale lol)
Old 11-12-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So if I said I was Mexican, would you say that I was Catholic? Is that how stereotypes work?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Catholics didn't have to edit the bible in the 1960's to take out the part that saying non-white people (specifically Native Americans and Blacks) were the creation of satan.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Catholics didn't have to edit the bible in the 1960's to take out the part that saying non-white people (specifically Native Americans and Blacks) were the creation of satan.
no, you are right, catholics merely subjugate women instead of ethnic males....it seems inappropriate to demean another's faith because the alleged claims made by that faith seem "outlandish" to you. what makes your fairy tale any more real than theirs?....it's older?

heck, scientologists believe that aliens were imprisoned underground. catholics have odd beliefs as well....i.e., evil spirits possess people and magic water can get rid of these evil spirits. i like the one where once you perform "miracles" that are recognized by the church you become some kind of demigod and people will pray to your dead spirit to make sure their travels are safe, etc., (it woulda been cool to be the guy who gives everyone an excuse to get drunk every march)....but i played dungeons and dragons too.

anyway, mormons didn't "edit" the bible, they made up another one. both are pretty interesting reading.

all religions make someone a scape goat.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:00 AM
Banned
SL Member

Sheesh....these are not the responses I was expecting lol.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm Mormon. Where in the world did you get the idea Mormon's editted the Bible? It's the same King James version that many Christians use. The Book of Mormon is translated in over 160 different languages, don't look racist to me.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
I'm Mormon. Where in the world did you get the idea Mormon's editted the Bible? It's the same King James version that many Christians use. The Book of Mormon is translated in over 160 different languages, don't look racist to me.

Nice to meet ya mate , and you are correct about how similar our bible is to others.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no, you are right, catholics merely subjugate women instead of ethnic male
And Mormon's don't?

I'm not a Catholic but I fully admit that Catholics are stuck back in 1722 with their social values.

You are right....Mormons had to edit their own bible (Book of Mormon) that THEY created to make it less racist. That is a fact. It is also a fact that hardcore Mormon's wear special underwear and it is also a fact the really hardcore ones are polygamists. (just like hardcore people of any religion are often time lunatics)

How is it that Scientology is a joke and Mormonism is mainstream?

Believe in whatever ever you want to believe in, but if you beliefs include things that are morally wrong people will call you out on it.

If I said "what is everyone's E-Meter reading today" I would have gotten laughed out the room.

no beef.....my skepticism and cynicism goes to far sometimes
Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is it that Scientology is a joke and Mormonism is mainstream?
dude, i got what you meant. my point was that imo the whole thing is absurd.

how is it any harder to believe in several lives than one? i believe that we are all making it up as we go along, some of us just cop out and latch on to someone else's version of the truth than our own. it won't hurt us in the long run because the truth just is, the same thing believed is a lie.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
I'm Mormon
what i found interesting was all the changes to the ceremonies, illustrated here.

i encourage people to "plow" through it because it is interesting as heck, especially the handshake stuff. i hope i wasn't giving anything away.

i'm a student of religion. btw, dateline nbc is doing a show to "unravel the mysteries of the birth of jesus christ" tonight so we'll get to the bottom of this whole christian thing.
[/tongueincheek]
Old 11-12-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys crack me up. Mormons are NOT polyamists! We are to be true to one wife and one wife only. We are also to remain a virgin until marriage. The Book of Mormon is not a replacement for the Bible but another Testament of Jesus Christ, that is it. It takes no precedence over The Bible. We believe Christ is at the head of our church, always have always will.

You are right....Mormons had to edit their own bible (Book of Mormon) that THEY created to make it less racist. That is a fact. It is also a fact that hardcore Mormon's wear special underwear and it is also a fact the really hardcore ones are polygamists. (just like hardcore people of any religion are often time lunatics)
You claim all of these things are fact but you are clearly misled. As stated above, the Book of Mormon is our founding doctrine but IS NOT a replacment of The Bible. We do wear undergarments but not until we are endowed in the Temple (I guess you find something wrong with that).

And again MORMONS ARE NOT POLYGAMISTS.

Adultery is a big sin in our books. Why are people so defensive of something they know nothing about. I guess there is something wrong with wanting to help people and be nice to one another.

Ask yourself one question, how much do your church preachers and pastors get paid? Everyone in our church gets paid nothing 'cause we don't believe people should get paid to do the Lord's work.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

ok but my questions are....

1. why do all the mormons who come around my house ride bike

2. what happened to your bike

3. do you wear a white shirt and black tie on a daily basis

4. do you strategically plan to come to my house at dinner time

hey, im not being racist, or stereotyping, im just asking comical questions that i dont think that i read them in this thread already
Old 11-12-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB

hey, im not being racist, or stereotyping, im just asking comical questions that i dont think that i read them in this thread already
1. It depends on the area. I was a missionary in Portugal and I didn't have a bike. I used public transportation and my own two feet.

2. I'm not sure what this means.

3. Missionaries wear a white shirt and tie (any color) daily, except for their one day off.

4. Sometimes. The missionaries like to talk to entire families and most are at home together around dinner time.

I thank you for asking these questions politely and without sarcasm. I hope you understand a little bit more about Mormons.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by cvrefugee
Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB

1. It depends on the area. I was a missionary in Portugal and I didn't have a bike. I used public transportation and my own two feet.

2. I'm not sure what this means.

3. Missionaries wear a white shirt and tie (any color) daily, except for their one day off.

4. Sometimes. The missionaries like to talk to entire families and most are at home together around dinner time.

I thank you for asking these questions politely and without sarcasm. I hope you understand a little bit more about Mormons.

Great Explanation sir ,

Big props to missionaries....thats something I couldn't do.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I used to be Mormon.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mafiamike
I used to be Mormon.
Were you excommunicated?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No, I quit.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I do give the missionaries credit. There are a bunch of them that ride the same train as me to work and they are always trying to convert me. I have to give credit to anyone that believes in something enough to spend two prime years of your life in your 20's in one of the crappiest neighborhoods in New York trying to convert people.
Given they have a tough job and probably get crap from people all day, I always am nice to them and not a wise ___ when I ask questions (most of the time anyways).....and I never, ever get a straight answer. Even most Catholics will admit there have been some pretty lousy Pope's, but it seems like the founding Mormon's are infallible.

Joseph Smith was a polygamist and had sex with teenage girls. Brigham Young wanted to secede from the United States and ordered the slaughter of more than 140 people so he could steal gold from their wagon train.

The only reason the LDS church renounced polygamy was that in return, Utah was allowed to become a state.....and the government called sending in troops. There are still plenty of Mormon polygamists out there, whole cities in fact (Arizona City, Arizona etc.)

So I guess none of you believe in celestial marriage then? What about blood atonement?

And what does the LDS church spend all hundreds of millions of dollars they have coming in from all the businesses they own...soda bottling/distributing, hotels even the main newspaper in SLC is owned in part by the LDS Church.....I know they have to support the missionaries and BYU and pay for the local church basketball league....but they have a TON of money coming in........where is it all going to?

Quick Reply: Any Mormon Members?