Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?

I live in Santa Cruz, so everyone here chomps at the bit to protest anything and everything you can imagine. One of those things is "gun control." Although I think there should be more strict regulations as far as obtaining a gun, I do not feel as if certain guns should be banned (unless they are full Auto -- in that case, I think they should only be owned by ranges and establishments like them). I wouldn't mind owning a full auto weapon cuz they have to be fun as hell to shoot, but I think in the interest of keeping them out of the wrong hands, keep them banned.

With that said, I would like to see who else out there in the Scion community owns guns, and where you stand on the issue of gun control.

I'll get this list started...in my arsenal, I have:

1. Smith & Wesson .500 mag (4" barrell w/compensators)
2. Colt 1911 A1 .45 (1939-41 original Army issue w/serial number)
3. Winchester model 1917 30-06 (w/aftermarket stock)
4. Marlin .22 rifle (first gun)
5. Coming Soon: Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag

The Colt and S & W (take note of bullet size)

Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glock 17 and 19
Mossberg 12G
AK's
AR's
M1's
Various .22's
2 Rifles from WWI (complete, with imperial crest)

I have sold a quite a bit of my collection (AR's are the next because the AK is superior) to focus in on just a few I really enjoy.

For me, gun control means hitting what you aim at.

I assume most people are content leaving their safety in the hands of others (police, governments, etc) but I see that as misguided. Although the main reason I own guns (defense is secondary) is to keep my goverment in check.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

My fiancé’s grandfather has an old Springfield from when he was in WWII and I drool every time I see it (I love things WWII).

I support owning guns and I see nothing wrong with them. I missed my opportunity to buy my first gun right when I turned 21 but I am planning on buying one in the near future. God only knows what would happen if they tried to heavily restrict guns in GA, hell I think there is even a county that has a law making it illegal to not own a gun (or something like that).
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd shoot/hunt with my family on my grandparent's farm in iowa when i was younger, but never actually got a gun for myself. i would if there was a reason like if i lived in a bad neighborhood, or if i had a sh!tload of highend stuff and extra money, but i don't even lock my door half the time.
Do guns appreciate in value at all? or are we just making too many?

if i still lived in texas i'm sure i'd get one.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no
Old 03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tC4italy
no
no...to what question?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
Do guns appreciate in value at all? or are we just making too many....
You bet!

I bought a few AKs (milled rec., w/ 3 30rd mags and a 75rd drum, cleaning kit , sling, manual and sights) for $300/ ea. Now, just the gun is worth $450-$600.

Older (WWII or before) ones are generally more collectable though.

Calico made a sweet 9mm rifle (also a "hand"gun as well) w/ a 100 rd drum. New, they were about $250. They go for well past $500 now.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Browning .22 target pistol
Tarus 9mm pistol
S&W .357 magnum revolver
Jennings .380 pistol

Browning 7mm magnum rifle
Springfield .30-06 rifle
Marlin .22 rifle

Winchester 12 ga. shotgun

I've had guns for hunting and target shooting my whole life. While I enjoy them and I believe in my right to have them, I also understand why certain weapons (full auto) are outlawed.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No to the fact that anyone (well basically) can own a gun.

Especially not kids that can buy them off the street.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by seattledave
Do guns appreciate in value at all? or are we just making too many....
You bet!

I bought a few AKs (milled rec., w/ 3 30rd mags and a 75rd drum, cleaning kit , sling, manual and sights) for $300/ ea. Now, just the gun is worth $450-$600.

Older (WWII or before) ones are generally more collectable though.

Calico made a sweet 9mm rifle (also a "hand"gun as well) w/ a 100 rd drum. New, they were about $250. They go for well past $500 now.
I second that...my 1911 is worth over $3000.00 (granted, it has historical significance). The only thing a gun can really do is appreciate. Obviously there are some exceptions (unreputible brands, etc..) but I would say for the most part, they only go up, if anywhere. My S&W retails at most places for $1250.00 -- my buddy bought it brand new for $900.00 from a dealer friend of his, and I in turn bought it from him for $700.00 because...well...I don't know why he sold it so cheap, but it worked out nicely for me! Certain guns are unique and they will either hold their value, or go up. In my case, I got it at wayyyy below market value, and as long as I keep it in good condition, I think it'll be a nice asset.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bet you guys are firm believers in the phrase

"happiness is a warm gun"
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the day we can stop drug traffic, is the day we can stop gun traffic. In other words...it aint gonna happen, unfortunately. I believe the HSC (handgun Safety Cert) should be a bit tougher (I also think that the DMV test should be harder, but I wasn't complaining when I was 16) -- the questions on it are rediculous.

...but yeah, there are some things that we just wont be able to stop, illegal gun sales is one of those things.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In actuality, not everyone can own a gun. Those convicted of crimes, are mentally unstable, have been convicted of spousal abuse are permanently banned from owning firearms. The remaining legal citizens can then legally purchase and own certain firearms as long as they pass an extensive background check and pass a written test.

As far as carrying a firearm w/o a permit, I believe that is legal in only two sates. Ironically, the two states with the lowest amount of crime.

Just as freedom of religion and freedom of speech, the Constitution guarantees our right to own firearms.

As far as illegal street purchases, this is an enforcement issue, not the responsibility of legal firearm owners.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

In actuality, not everyone can own a gun. Those convicted of crimes, are mentally unstable, have been convicted of spousal abuse are permanently banned from owning firearms. The remaining legal citizens can then legally purchase and own certain firearms as long as they pass an extensive background check and pass a written test.

As far as carrying a firearm w/o a permit, I believe that is legal in only two sates. Ironically, the two states with the lowest amount of crime.

Just as freedom of religion and freedom of speech, the Constitution guarantees our right to own firearms.

As far as illegal street purchases, this is an enforcement issue, not the responsibility of legal firearm owners.
And if those criminals are not convicted but are guilty, what then...? My husband can go nutz in 10 years turn physco buy a gun and shoot me. But hey he had the right to buy the gun cos he was never convicted? Naw....Sorry
Old 03-14-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And if those criminals are not convicted but are guilty, what then...? My husband can go nutz in 10 years turn physco buy a gun and shoot me. But hey he had the right to buy the gun cos he was never convicted? Naw....Sorry
hopefully you would be close enough to your husband to notice that he has flipped his lid and has become potentially dangerous. and with the 3 day waiting period, maybe he might cool down unless you keep aggrevating him...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ it was a hypothetical situation
just to give an example that if someone has not been convicted but is still guilty and unstable then he/she can get a fire arm just because it's not on record.

I'm not married
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Springfield xd-40 (in my dad's name) just for sport. I love shooting. I go shooting a lot on my lunch breaks with the guys I work with, they took me with them one time when I first started working here and I was instantly hooked (they have to buy my ammo for me though since I'm not 21 yet and everybody gives me crap about it at the shop )

A friend of mine has a Glock 17L 9mm with the 33 round extended clip and it's really fun to shoot.

All in all, I'm pretty content with the gun laws our nation has in affect at this time. I really can't believe the recent decision to raise the gun ban in DC though...that's just craziness.

My 40:
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just to give an example that if someone has not been convicted but is still guilty and unstable then he/she can get a fire arm just because it's not on record.

I'm not married
just keep an eye out for the usual signs...like twitchy eye, buys some heavy duty 55 gallon trash bags, starts inspecting or buying tools like a hacksaw, shovel. starts clearing space in the freezer or suddenly wants to dig a new garden plot...etc
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the right of one should trump the rights of the TENS of THOUSANDS of private citizens that use firearms every year to defend and save lives, theirs and the lives of others? What if you owned a firearm? Maybe you could defend yourself aganist your husband. In fact, if you didn’t own a firearm and he did, no amount of screaming or tax dollars spent on police or whatever would offer you any protection. Your protection is YOUR responsibility.

But to play along, the same thing can be said for baseball bats, cars and even human hands. Maybe we should regulate those as well?

The thing is, if someone really wanted to harm you, a law/regulation/type of weapon will not stop them. This is a people problem, not an object problem.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm not married
and people on parol for drug charges are still smoking crack -- regardless of the laws...like Heathen said...it's an enforcement issue. Some things are just out of our control, the best we can hope to do is keep them at their current level, or reduce the occurences one percent at a time. We will never be able to completely eliminate certain issues in this world...

Sodomy - illegal in CA...but is anyone stopping it? No...for two reasons: half the politicians are already givin it to US in the rear (w/o lube mind you), and the ___ community would call it discrimination.

Damn...that didn't turn out how I wanted it...haha!

Quick Reply: Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?