Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yep, personally, I want to get a .40 for the next one I buy. They are easy to manage and still do a decent amount of damage.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far my 9's are fine, and I'm used to them, but if something comes out that I just HAVE to have, I will probably want to get it in a .40 - maybe.

I also have some tiny lightweights, .380 and .32, but they are only backups. If I could come up with a more compact 9 that I am comfortable with, I might have to consider it, just because my current carry 9's are bulky and heavy.

But if nothing else, my current 9's can be used as a club or a hammer when empty... :D

Tom
Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed Tom.

A lot of guys get into this "size" contest when it comes to calibers....you know, the "bigger is better" mentality. For me, a 9 with the proper rounds is the best choice. Fast double taps, extreme accuracy and the inexpensiveness of the round allows me more range time to practice and perfect technique.

Tom - if you havent already, look into a Glock 19 (or even the compact series depending on your hand size). Very light weight, pratical for CC and holds 15 + 1.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by NenaG112
Originally Posted by Dwatts5250
What exactly is the worlds largest handgun???

If I remember correclty - Smith and Wesson makes it, I have to go home now and look for my pictures, it's this heavy silver gun that you need both hands to just hold it up, when you shoot it - man it feels like it could break your hand.....

I'll look for the pics to show you guys.
yeah, i think that was the S&W 504. (Had one for Thanksgiving aftermath purchasing event)... i had just thought there was something larger.
i was always partial to Charles Bronsons, .475 Wildey Magnum, from the Death Wish movies. That pistol, was perfect, and the barrel options. Oooh yeah!!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Dwatts,

50 cal desert eagle I beleive. But I am sure someone will mention a larger one. The 50 would be cool.. but not very practical when it comes to carry and/or multiple shots, since after your first shot you are so far off target the next shot is way off.

Largest handheld rifle I know of is the 700 nitro. Double barrel.. looks just like a shotgun (you can stick your thumb in the barrel) but fires 70 cal rifle rounds. It is made to bring a charging elephant down in one - two shots. You also need a chiropracter after a couple of shots as well :D
Desert Eagle is the gun the "Agents" use in the Matrix trilogies.

700 Nitro? Dang. Can you even get a second shot off in the general direction of the target with something that huge?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You dont need to :D I read a whole write up on that gun. A hunter shot a full grown elephant in the chest while it was running... he said the second shot was pretty much overkill.. the first one took it to the ground. 8900 ft*lbs of muzzle energy and a 1000 grain round that is almost 3/4 inch in diameter does a lot of damage!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sort of like a hand-held 20MM round from an aircraft cannon... except they are usually HEI...

Tom
Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
You dont need to :D I read a whole write up on that gun. A hunter shot a full grown elephant in the chest while it was running... he said the second shot was pretty much overkill.. the first one took it to the ground. 8900 ft*lbs of muzzle energy and a 1000 grain round that is almost 3/4 inch in diameter does a lot of damage!
Probably very effective on masked unstoppable serial killers too. Jason, Leatherface, Micheal Meyers, etc.

Rules of surviving horror movies-
"use enough gun"
"shoot them in the head after they're down - from at least beyond arm or leg reach"
Old 06-15-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

guns=BLAH
Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

So I'm looking to buy my first gun (for home defense) and I was told 16 gauge pump shotgun would be the best. Can anyone give me some ideas of types and prices I'm looking to spend. I assume they're about 400 give or take..right? I'm not too educated when comes to shotguns so be nice I was sheltered as a kid.

thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigMURR
So I'm looking to buy my first gun (for home defense) and I was told 16 gauge pump shotgun would be the best. Can anyone give me some ideas of types and prices I'm looking to spend. I assume they're about 400 give or take..right? I'm not too educated when comes to shotguns so be nice I was sheltered as a kid.

thanks
Id say go for the 12 gauge. It will be less expensive, the ammo is cheaper and more knockdown power as well. The recoil is NOT that bad on a 12.

The Mossberg 500 is a great 12G, 5+1 capacity and comes w/ both a 18.5" and 28" barrel for ~$250. An excellent, reliable shotty at a very fair price.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look into a chainsaw. Nobody stays in a house very long when they hear a chainsaw crank up.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Look into a chainsaw. Nobody stays in a house very long when they hear a chainsaw crank up.
ROFL thats probably true.

As far as my weapons I have:
9mm Sig Sauer P226
9mm High Point Carbine
.22 Ruger Bolt
.17HMR Savage Bolt
.308 CETME
20 Gauge Semi Auto
20 Gauge Break Barrel
12 Gauge pump

I also have a lot of air guns for keeping bunny wabbits, squirrels, and cats out of my yard, inluding a full auto BB gun (called a Drozd) that is just plain awesome.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fully automatic BB gun? Now, that is cool! How much fun would that be take out on a few punks tp-ing your house?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing

thanks
Id say go for the 12 gauge. It will be less expensive, the ammo is cheaper and more knockdown power as well. The recoil is NOT that bad on a 12.

The Mossberg 500 is a great 12G, 5+1 capacity and comes w/ both a 18.5" and 28" barrel for ~$250. An excellent, reliable shotty at a very fair price.
The only reason I am a little iffy about a 12ga is I know so many people and seen many people with buised up sholders, though I doubt if someone did break into my house I would have to use it as a shotgun is intimidating as hell.

but thanks for the input I will look into Mossberg.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing

thanks

The only reason I am a little iffy about a 12ga is I know so many people and seen many people with buised up sholders, though I doubt if someone did break into my house I would have to use it as a shotgun is intimidating as hell.

but thanks for the input I will look into Mossberg.
Those people you know with bruised up shoulders obviously don't know the proper way to fire their shotgun. I've never had a bruised shoulder and I first shot a 12 gauge when I was around 11 years old. I could hardly even hold the durn thing up...

If you have nobody to personally learn from I highly recommend you enroll in a hunter's education class. It will teach you the basics of firearm safety.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^ I was actaully planning on it, since I would like to get into a little hunting here and there.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
BTW, this works even better when you holler out, "Hey Ma!!! Looks like we're having steaks tomorrow night!"
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
guns=BLAH
Untill you need one to defend yourself and are stuck with your thumb up your butt :D
Old 06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This may or may not be true in all cases, but from what I've experienced, people who are against guns are generally uneducated (ignorant, if you will) toward them. Most have never even held one but feel the need to make generalizations according to what the media has taught them.

Quick Reply: Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?