Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by tC4italy
And if those criminals are not convicted but are guilty, what then...? My husband can go nutz in 10 years turn physco buy a gun and shoot me. But hey he had the right to buy the gun cos he was never convicted? Naw....Sorry
So the right of one should trump the rights of the TENS of THOUSANDS of private citizens that use firearms every year to defend and save lives, theirs and the lives of others? What if you owned a firearm? Maybe you could defend yourself aganist your husband. In fact, if you didn’t own a firearm and he did, no amount of screaming or tax dollars spent on police or whatever would offer you any protection. Your protection is YOUR responsibility.

But to play along, the same thing can be said for baseball bats, cars and even human hands. Maybe we should regulate those as well?

The thing is, if someone really wanted to harm you, a law/regulation/type of weapon will not stop them. This is a people problem, not an object problem.
If there were no guns in the first place I wouldn't need a gun to defend myself from a man with a gun.

There's not much we can do about baseball bats (the PURPOSE of those is to play baseball) or human hands (we can't really go ahead and chop everyone's hands off now can we?) but guns yes. The purpose of guns is to kill someone/something. Guns can be taken away, guns can be banned.

Obviously you don't believe in the country's armed forces that you need to take it in your own hands. And that's fine, but I think otherwise and no one I know will own them.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whipple81
Sodomy - illegal in CA...but is anyone stopping it? No...for two reasons: half the politicians are already givin it to US in the rear (w/o lube mind you), and the ___ community would call it discrimination.

Damn...that didn't turn out how I wanted it...haha!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm for gun ownership but that is because i'm also for population control!

i dream of a world where a man can get alcohol, tobacco and firearms at a drive-thru and use them all before he gets home!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[

If there were no guns in the first place I wouldn't need a gun to defend myself from a man with a gun.

There's not much we can do about baseball bats (the PURPOSE of those is to play baseball) or human hands (we can't really go ahead and chop everyone's hands off now can we?) but guns yes. The purpose of guns is to kill someone/something. Guns can be taken away, guns can be banned.

Obviously you don't believe in the country's armed forces that you need to take it in your own hands. And that's fine, but I think otherwise and no one I know will own them.
Guns can NEVER be taken away. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Criminals, by definition, do not follow the law. All you are advocating is leaving the choice of defense up to the criminals. Look at he REAL crime statistics (not that propaganda they have the Brady websites and the like) that you can find from police offices (albeit a year or two old). There you will see that more firearms save innocent lives than take them. What you advocate would put in harms way more innocent people, not the other way around.

Sure, a world without guns would be great, but it is a dangerous disillusion that is in no way based in reality. Life would be great if there were no nuclear weapons, no war or crime and money grew on trees, but you cannot uncreate something. The technology is here and no matter how much you wish it was not, turning your back to the problem will only make it worse.

Look at gun crime in the UK, where private ownership is illegal. Has that stopped gun crime? Has it made the streets safer? No, it only emboldens criminals who now know that the citizens cannot defend themselves in the most efficient manner.

Ban guns and only criminals will have them.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

[

Guns can NEVER be taken away. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Criminals, by definition, do not follow the law. All you are advocating is leaving the choice of defense up to the criminals. Look at he REAL crime statistics (not that propaganda they have the Brady websites and the like) that you can find from police offices (albeit a year or two old). There you will see that more firearms save innocent lives than take them. What you advocate would put in harms way more innocent people, not the other way around.

Sure, a world without guns would be great, but it is a dangerous disillusion that is in no way based in reality. Life would be great if there were no nuclear weapons, no war or crime and money grew on trees, but you cannot uncreate something. The technology is here and no matter how much you wish it was not, turning your back to the problem will only make it worse.

Look at gun crime in the UK, where private ownership is illegal. Has that stopped gun crime? Has it made the streets safer? No, it only emboldens criminals who now know that the citizens cannot defend themselves in the most efficient manner.

Ban guns and only criminals will have them.
I'm not arguing with you Heathen. I'm not advocating anything. I'm stating MY opinion. And no one can nor will change it; just like I won't change yr opinion.

Well I gave mine here so I think I'm done
Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You really havent been paying attention to current events have you? Or Supreme court rulings.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You really havent been paying attention to current events have you? Or Supreme court rulings.
No I haven't cos I think the world has become a POS to live in. I have my own problems to think about and I don't want to be even more depressed by the animals and idiotic stuff going on in the world.

I used to watch the italian news but hey every time I turned it on only and I mean ONLY macabre (dunno the word in english) came up. Never anything nice, never.

So screw that.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

As far as supreme court rulings my sis works for a judge so I get the info from her.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never mind that every major scientific study has shown that firearms ownership in a community reduces violent crime.

Never mind that every increase in firearms ownership in the United States since 1900 has resulted in a decrease in firearms accidents.

Never mind that every community that has instituted major gun control becomes an example of excess crime: Washington DC, Los Angeles, New York City.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

..... I have my own problems to think about and I don't want to be even more depressed by the animals and idiotic stuff going on in the world.

I used to watch the italian news but hey every time I turned it on only and I mean ONLY macabre (dunno the word in english) came up. Never anything nice, never.

So screw that.
You are showing classic denial.

Im not arguing with you either TC, just trying to make some points for others to ponder. As you have stated, you want to put your head in the sand and wish all the bad away. I want real solutions to problems and am not afraid to step on some toes to get there. Do I have all the answers? No. But I do advocate being the solution rather than depending on others to come up with a solution for me.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

..... I have my own problems to think about and I don't want to be even more depressed by the animals and idiotic stuff going on in the world.

So screw that.

Im not arguing with you either TC, just trying to make some points for others to ponder. As you have stated, you want to put your head in the sand and wish all the bad away. I want real solutions to problems and am not afraid to step on some toes to get there. Do I have all the answers? No. But I do advocate being the solution rather than depending on others to come up with a solution for me.
I said I don't watch the news, meaning on tv, not that i'm not aware of what goes on in the world. I lived pretty much everywhere so I SAW it with MY eyes not through TV. So I'm far away from being sheltered.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So screw that.

I said I don't watch the news, meaning on tv, not that i'm not aware of what goes on in the world. I lived pretty much everywhere so I SAW it with MY eyes not through TV. So I'm far away from being sheltered.

With all due respect, because one is aware of events it does not mean one is not in denial about them.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A gun is only a tool. It's the person using it who decides if it will be used for good or bad. If someone is intent on harming someone else, they will find a way. If not a gun, they'll use a kitchen knife, a baseball bat, or a car. Putting restrictions on tools doesn't change the person.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So screw that.

With all due respect, because one is aware of events it does not mean one is not in denial about them.
True. But I have my own reasons to choose not to "see" everything.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly we can't have handguns in chi-town, but I do plan to get a rifle in the near future. I'm no gun nut either. I'd prefer a nice hunting bow. Still waiting for that one. I just feel strongly for the constitution and having the legal right to defend my home should the gov try to impose themselves on me. Plus they're fun to shoot at non-living targets. I do all my living target shooting in videogames.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Damn...this is getting interesting...

if there are two things I know for a fact, it's this:

1) guns don't kill people...PEOPLE kill people.
2) you can argue with a woman all you want, and you may be right...but remember...you're NEVER right. (Heathen, Italy...naughty naughty). Men have outies, and woman have innies...hence, men make the laws and women argue them :-D

Let the lashing begin!!

Muahahahaha
Old 03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

and on a side note...Italy...you HAVE guns...all women do...and they lure us men into a false sense of security and BAM! you're married!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
I just feel strongly for the constitution and having the legal right to defend my home should the gov try to impose themselves on me..
If the government decides to invade your home, no gun you'll own is going to stop them. BUT..if a local crackhead decides to climb through your livingroom window at 2:00 A.M., you'll be able to do something about that!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
If the government decides to invade your home, no gun you'll own is going to stop them.....
United we stand, divided we fall.

In your example, you may be correct, but an armed society helps because even evil people can calculate costs.

Governments mass murdered their own citizens, or civilians under their control (as with occupation), in numbers exceeding 170,000,000 in the 20th Century alone. The mass murder of at least 70,000,000 (perhaps many millions more) civilians (men, women and children) by governments in the 20th Century occurred in nations where "gun control" ideas and laws had taken a strong hold.

Bad guys rob convenience stores and pizza delivery guys whom they know are unarmed. Bad guys do not rob gun stores nor do they burgle police stations, because the criminal’s personal risk of getting caught and killed is too high.

It is known that **** Germany did not invade Switzerland largely because the ***** did not want to invest a lot of machinery and manpower to subjugate a nation that was civilian-armed to the teeth. Similarly, historians tell us that the Imperial Japanese military leaders did not want to invade the United States during World War II because they knew they would encounter fierce resistance from armed citizens.

Remember that human beings are the ones who carry out orders. People calculate risks. Even though there is a lot of crime and lots of criminals infesting certain parts of Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C. (for example), the police will not go to those parts of town without backup. And in some areas, they will not go at all –certainly not at night.

We learn from all of these examples that armed civilians can deter even armed government functionaries.

Likewise, in the Iraq War, the American military chooses to deploy its forces in a manner less likely to result in American casualties. Thus, the American military does not blindly attempt to move into some towns and regions where they know the civilian resisters (“insurgents”) are armed and dangerous.

We therefore learn from modern military history that even powerful armies steer clear of armed and motivated civilian populations.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by whipple81
Damn...this is getting interesting...

if there are two things I know for a fact, it's this:

1) guns don't kill people...PEOPLE kill people.
2) you can argue with a woman all you want, and you may be right...but remember...you're NEVER right. (Heathen, Italy...naughty naughty). Men have outies, and woman have innies...hence, men make the laws and women argue them :-D

Let the lashing begin!!

Muahahahaha
Sadly enough this country has very few women in power...kinda weird coming from the FREE LAND

and I'll take yr next post as a joke

Quick Reply: Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?