Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right. I agree with you. I agree that we should be allowed to own them. I have several. But I also know that if the government decides to invade your house, you aren't going to stop them for very long. My point was that the real advantage to the average citizen (as far as home defense goes) is in the event of a criminal break-in.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand your point, but was simply expanding the overall scope: why it makes sense as a nation to own firearms and examples of historic vistories over despotic governments.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

double post
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by matt_a
If the government decides to invade your home, no gun you'll own is going to stop them.....
United we stand, divided we fall.

In your example, you may be correct, but an armed society helps because even evil people can calculate costs.

Governments mass murdered their own citizens, or civilians under their control (as with occupation), in numbers exceeding 170,000,000 in the 20th Century alone. The mass murder of at least 70,000,000 (perhaps many millions more) civilians (men, women and children) by governments in the 20th Century occurred in nations where "gun control" ideas and laws had taken a strong hold.

Bad guys rob convenience stores and pizza delivery guys whom they know are unarmed. Bad guys do not rob gun stores nor do they burgle police stations, because the criminal’s personal risk of getting caught and killed is too high.

It is known that **** Germany did not invade Switzerland largely because the ***** did not want to invest a lot of machinery and manpower to subjugate a nation that was civilian-armed to the teeth. Similarly, historians tell us that the Imperial Japanese military leaders did not want to invade the United States during World War II because they knew they would encounter fierce resistance from armed citizens.

Remember that human beings are the ones who carry out orders. People calculate risks. Even though there is a lot of crime and lots of criminals infesting certain parts of Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C. (for example), the police will not go to those parts of town without backup. And in some areas, they will not go at all –certainly not at night.

We learn from all of these examples that armed civilians can deter even armed government functionaries.

Likewise, in the Iraq War, the American military chooses to deploy its forces in a manner less likely to result in American casualties. Thus, the American military does not blindly attempt to move into some towns and regions where they know the civilian resisters (“insurgents”) are armed and dangerous.

We therefore learn from modern military history that even powerful armies steer clear of armed and motivated civilian populations.
I was just going to say that, in not so many well articulated words. If I'm the only one on the block with a rifle and the gov decides to take my home, they pretty much get it. If everyone on the block has a gun and the gov decides they want the neighborhood, they're gonna have a much more difficult time taking it. One voice is easy to silence. 100 is a bit more difficult, let alone millions...
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Sadly enough this country has very few women in power...kinda weird coming from the FREE LAND
Ironically, in my informal and by no means all inclusive polling, that more women refuse to vote for a woman president then men.

Maybe they know something we dont...
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand your point, but was simply expanding the overall scope: why it makes sense as a nation to own firearms and examples of historic vistories over despotic governments.

Yeah, I see what you mean. If I were looking to rob a store and hold up the cashier, it sure as heck wouldn't be a gun shop!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly enough this country has very few women in power...kinda weird coming from the FREE LAND
Ironically, in my informal and by no means all inclusive polling, that more women refuse to vote for a woman president then men.

Exactly. Women make up more or less exactly 50% of the populace. The lack of a woman president is as much your fault as ours, ladies...
Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Did I say president position?

No.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13

Exactly. Women make up more or less exactly 50% of the populace. The lack of a woman president is as much your fault as ours, ladies...
Read above
Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That doesn't surprise me at all. Women do not get along with each other. I work in a hospital. There are many departments which are staffed by mostly women (Lab, Radiology, Critical Care..etc). Without going into great detail, I can tell you that they do NOT play well together. Heck, even my wife will admit that.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No.
Which position were you thinking of then?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No.
Which position were you thinking of then?
lol funny.

I never wrote anything about positions
Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget the speaker of the house is a woman... as are several senators. Not the majority, but they are there.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I own. But do to personal feelings I will refrain from what. I was in the military, I got to play with Full Autos...big ones.
Gun control laws in California, are not the best, granted in other states they can and are worst. I think though the one thing people forget, is gun control laws affect those who are not criminals.....law biding citizens are getting bit in the **** with the laws. Criminals, h*ll they dont register weapons..those laws dont effect them. Lawmakers for some reason..dont seem to understand this. Ive used firearms for my own personal safety as well as defense, I follow the laws. But those same laws can negatively affect me. Im keeping this short. My two cents if you will.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Don't forget the speaker of the house is a woman... as are several senators. Not the majority, but they are there.
compare the numbers to european countries.
then you shall see
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwatts5250
...the one thing people forget, is gun control laws affect those who are not criminals.....law biding citizens are getting bit in the **** with the laws. Criminals, h*ll they dont register weapons..those laws dont effect them. Lawmakers for some reason..dont seem to understand this.
Exactly. That (in a nutshell) is why more gun laws are pointless.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hhhmmm....

glock 19 9mm (sold)
s&w model 624 i think .45acp ayways
2 mossberg 500's 12ga
winchester 1300 12ga
coast to coast model 720 12ga
beretta neo u22 .22lr
winchester 629 .22lr
marlin camp 45 .45acp
yugo sks 7.62x39
savage f93 .17hmr
mossberg 720 .22wmr
91/30 7.62x54r

i have a kid on the way so eventually il get rid of everything except my 500
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mike51392
hhhmmm....

glock 19 9mm (sold)
2 mossberg 500's 12ga
winchester 1300 12ga
beretta neo u22 .22lr
winchester 629 .22lr
marlin camp 45 .45acp
yugo sks 7.62x39
savage f93 .17hmr
mossberg 720 .22wmr
91/30 7.62x54r

I said the same thing.....but then I found an Ithica...... That is my baby.
(I had 2 fully modded Russian SKS, FA when I was 18.....then Clinton made them illegal to have....so they went bye bye...Sad day in my life)
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

First Gun- Hi Point .380...I walked into a gun show just to look around....$140.00 and an hour later, I walked out with a gun and ammo.....
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mike51392
hhhmmm....

glock 19 9mm (sold)
2 mossberg 500's 12ga
winchester 1300 12ga
beretta neo u22 .22lr
winchester 629 .22lr
marlin camp 45 .45acp
yugo sks 7.62x39
savage f93 .17hmr
mossberg 720 .22wmr
91/30 7.62x54r

Way to get us back on track my friend! I think I want my next purchase to be a new 30-06...the bore on mine is SPENT...so it makes for a nice "shoot till the barrell is red hot" type of gun...

...I don't hunt...I just want something that is accurate from a rooftop or hotel window...

HA! I kid, I kid! To me, shooting is all about the exhileration you get from shooting something with some kick. if it doesn't bruise my shoulder, or break my wrists...it's not going to satisfy my needs -- being banned from indoor shooting ranges gives you this sick sort of satisfaction

I will admit though...I am a serial killer...

I lived on a ranch for the first 21 years of my life...my prey: ground squirrels. As heartless and sick as it may sound to kill a cute little "harmless" animal such as a squirrel...wait till you own a horse...that's a big price tag to have to put a bullet in it's head because it got it's hoof stuck in a hole made my an over-populated varmint.

...now though, I no longer shoot cute little animals...I just watch OTHERS that do...

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU LIKE FURRY LITTLE ANIMALS:

http://www.dogbegone.com/

Quick Reply: Anybody Own Firearms? Gun Control?