Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anyone here have a street bike???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

All new riders...listen to SciontCya...he speaks the truth.

I recommend the following list for all new riders (some of which SciontCya has already mentioned):
- MSF Course (http://www.msf-usa.org/): Take it. It also bypasses the DMV riding test here in California, which is impossible to pass unless you have a scooter or a very small bike.
- Read: I recommend "Twist of the Wrist II" and "Twist of the Wrist". Great reads when you're on the pooper.
- Gear: At minimum get yourself a good helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. MSF will require them, and you dont want to borrow their helmets.....trust me. I've gone down to know good gear will save your skin, life, medical bills, etc. It will be an expensive investment at first, but it is an investment.
- Insurance: BEFORE buying a bike, look into insurance quotes. Depending on your age, it can cost you quite a bit, so look into that before getting yourself a crotch rocket.
- I would recommend the Ninja 250 as a starter. They're cheap, look OK and an easy resell.
- All those that think a 600cc sportbikes (R6, 600RR, ZX-6R, GSX-R600, etc) as "smaller" or "slower" than the 1000cc versions have never ridden before or have no skills in riding. Anyone can go fast in a straight line....ask them to carve some turns. I can get my R6 up to 150+ on the track straights and even pass some 1000's in the turns, so it's definitely no slouch.

Shane, if you have any other questions, let me know. I will gladly give you any advice.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

A 600 super sport, IMO, is a bad idea as a first bike.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a zx6 for my first bike and as long as you don't ride like an idiot it shouldn't really matter what size you get. you can wreck just as fast and as bad on those other bikes IF you ride stupid. get what you want or you'll always regret not getting. just ride like i did, an old lady, and just assume everyone else doesn't see you so when they really don't you'll expect it.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and the brands of the gear just depend how much you wanna spend. most of the styles are similar. i like icon's stuff , cuz of their styles and prices. arai, and shoei are more expensive.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^also depends on how coordinated you are. Those SS bikes have very sensitive and unforgiving throttles. Hit a bump too hard in a turn and blip the throttle and you could be sliding out.

Don't forget that the odds are greatly against you. Thr odds make it almost certain that you WILL drop your bike.... Better a beater than a nice shiny SS. For every 1 person who makes it OK, there are 20 with damaged bikes, injuries, and/or death.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Can anyone recommend a comfortable - more upright bike?

I don't want to be hunched over the gas tank like I'm doing yoga.

What kind of bikes does MSF let you learn on? I'm doing that course in August

hmmmm what else?

Can anyone recommend a comfortable helmet for a really large noggin? I've tried a Shoei large and it pinches so hard I got a headache after a minute.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I have a fat head and my HJC fits fine, but HJC isn't exactly fancy like an arai.

I hate the ergo's on most sport bikes too.... But I can't stand the handling on cruisers either. For a good balance between sport and touring, try a Honda VFR or a BMW (hate 'em of love 'em, cops choose 'em for a reason). Thr Ninja 650R is also very comfortable.... Or you can find a deal on a Katana 600/750 like I did. I rode from LA to SF and back (over 800 miles) for a weekend with no problems. Thr Hayabusa and ZX-14 are also very comfortable if you can afford them, and will blow the doors of just about any car.

But add risers to the handlebars and lower the pegs on any sport bike and it will make a world of difference. However cruisers are as comfortable as comfort gets, aside from an ingodly touring goldwing or something like it.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Thr MSF usually offers an assortment of ninja 250's, dirtbikes, rebels, and SZ 250 cruisers. Speeds never exceed 30MPH (and you'd be asking to get kicked out if you hit that), so you won't need the power.

For the stuff you will be doing, the bikes are perfect. Plus plenty of noobs have enough trouble as is with those bikes.

But there's always the ERC MSF that let's you use your own bike.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

A comfortable bike would be something like an f4i or something like that. The stance is less track inspired. Good luck on finding a used f4i though. Loads of people use them for stunt bikes...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a 07 Ninja 650R and its very comfortable, vibrates more than i think it should but its also my first bike. What everybody has said is true about gear and the MSF course. I dropped mine in a turn at 17 miles on my odometer, all the used bikes where i live were like 1000cc and cost the same as the 650. I dropped it due to inexperience (dont hold the clutch in while in a turn) but my gear helped alot, just got bounced around on the pavement and had some bruises. got back up and got right back on it. i get to take my MSF course next wednesday, im excited!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by firstkingofbeer
I have a 07 Ninja 650R and its very comfortable, vibrates more than i think it should but its also my first bike. What everybody has said is true about gear and the MSF course. I dropped mine in a turn at 17 miles on my odometer, all the used bikes where i live were like 1000cc and cost the same as the 650. I dropped it due to inexperience (dont hold the clutch in while in a turn) but my gear helped alot, just got bounced around on the pavement and had some bruises. got back up and got right back on it. i get to take my MSF course next wednesday, im excited!

You can hold a clutch in, in a turn, just don't RELEASE the clutch.. you'll get wheel hop. I almost went down twice because of it!!!!! But now I know better!

i picked up a used 2006 ninja 250..... with 4100 miles.. immaculate condition....

I took the MSF course and now looking for BETTER gear to fit me
Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ohhh, see i couldnt really remember what all i did. i just remembered i had pulled the clutch. it happened way fast. lol
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

figured id rep my honda in this b*tch.
last pictures show my new exhaust, since everything on my bike is carbon (front fender, rear fender, clutch guard, shark fins, inner vcowl, heel guards, mirrors (yeah, REAL carbon for everything), and more. way more parts to list too... haha.. All from Magical Racing in japan, top notch company, very expensive parts. So I had to add the devil twin pipes in CARBON son!

pimp on.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM

I have an '06 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster with all the stage 1 mods. It's sorta comfortable. It's loud, but compared to sport bikes, it's snail slow. It doesn't handle or brake that well. In fact, it doesn't do anything really well. The only thing it does that is worth noting is get more compliments from women than any other bike I've owned. It definitely has a "cool" factor to it. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a GSXR instead. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
Can anyone recommend a comfortable - more upright bike?

I don't want to be hunched over the gas tank like I'm doing yoga.
Dirty Bars FTW!

Now I just gotta finish the bike so I can ride it