Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anyone worked for USPS, UPS, FedEx, or a courier service?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone worked for USPS, UPS, FedEx, or a courier service?

I'll try to keep this short, so you don't have to listen to my entire life story.

Most young people work and go to school simultaneously, but I chose a different route. I went straight into full-time work after getting out of high school, and I spent a couple of years saving every penny with the hope of going to university when I had enough money. By summer 2006, I had enough money to fund my education, so I quit work and started doing the full-time student thing. In the year and a half since then, I have almost completed my 4-year degree by taking unit overloads and spending almost every day in school.

So right now, I have one 8-week session left until graduation. Because this is my last session, I have fewer classes and I am also pretty much running out of money. I'm looking to get a job to tide me over for a while, not just for the next 8 weeks, but until I can find something in my field of study. I would like to do something which involves driving. I used to do pizza delivery for a few years. The tips were great, but I am too old to go back to working with high school kids now.

So I was thinking about getting a job with a mail/package delivery service, or a courier service. I am sure I would have no problem getting hired, but I want to know what I am getting into first. I have a couple of friends who work for UPS, but I wanted to get some other opinions. I also talked with a guy from a local private courier company. That job sounded like fun, but I would have to use my own vehicle (the tC). I know from my previous work experience that using your own vehicle as a source of revenue is not fun, due to frequent maintenance and repair costs.

Any thoughts? Any experiences? Any stories to share?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

work valet. im one of the youngest guys that i work with. we are all in or just out of college, that age group. most fun job ive had, great tips, great friends, and i get to drive some of the most expensive cars in the world. plus youre in LA so theres def. some money out there. its a great part time job for me while im in school, and it def helps to pay the bills, plus the running helps me keep in shape, sort of lol
Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm, I'll think about it. How much money do you make on an average day?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it depends on the day, but the on average its about 10-15 dollars an hour. but on sunday mornings, bc its a hotel and thats when everyone checks out, ive walked with 150 for a 5 hour shift. try to get a job at a really nice hotel with some type of bar or restaurant in it. that way you get all of the normal guests, but also on weekends you get the people who are going out for the night
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i know some guys that used to live in Vegas. they said that 300 a night was a slow night for them. plus in LA is probably a little more money than here in Austin
Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can have my job..
Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DONT work with UPS. Im sorry, but i worked for the under paid slaves for almost a year, and depending if you know anyone, you wont be working the day shift, more like the twilight shift since your new, and you def wont be driving for them right on until you've worked there for over 2 years or so because there is a senority list that you have to move up. Sounds like you did a great job w/ your studies. Like /\/\/\ he said, try valet or some small delvery co. but dont use your car. Wear n' Tear sucks
Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default worked for UPS

Just a quick tidbit - I worked for UPS for almost a year. I was in the revenue auditing sector - never intended on driving.

The feeling I had while working there was you basically had to work your way up to the driver's position. A lot of guys/girls start out loading and unloading trucks with the intention of becoming drivers. Its basically the prized position unless you have a degree and are looking for an office type environment.

Just FYI. There are probably a good amount of people looking to be drivers who are already employed there. Kinda have to put in your time.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I didn't know about that. Is it the same deal with USPS? I was hoping to find something where I can jump right in as a driver. I know that some companies are looking for entry-level courier drivers, but most don't provide a vehicle.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While working for Delta Cargo we had a steady amount of couriers that came in and out. They were all preaty much on call and would have to travel anywhere the package needed to go with their own car. After a while some of them went out and got a second car so they didnt rack up alot of miles. Also if the flight was delayed they had to hangout or come back when the package arrived.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Is the pay based on performance, or is it a standard rate?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its based on preformance evry package you pick up is a fee and then every mile you go is also a fee!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good money?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: worked for UPS

Originally Posted by hammy
Just a quick tidbit - I worked for UPS for almost a year. I was in the revenue auditing sector - never intended on driving.

The feeling I had while working there was you basically had to work your way up to the driver's position. A lot of guys/girls start out loading and unloading trucks with the intention of becoming drivers. Its basically the prized position unless you have a degree and are looking for an office type environment.

Just FYI. There are probably a good amount of people looking to be drivers who are already employed there. Kinda have to put in your time.
yup, too bad you aren't already working at ups. Got this driver working here, always drive his porsche to work. As for me I'm working as a loader for 2 years now and planning to go to wyotech and get the hell out of here...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
Good money?
It all depends on the company you work for and what region they are in. Try doing a search on air couries in you area and go from their.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about working as a mailman for USPS?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to take some test to work for the usps and chances are they won't hire you. i've taken the test twice and aced it both times. my dad has taken it 3 times over the past 10 or so years and gotten over a 90 everytime. i feel like they are filling quotas for the dumbest people they can find. good luck if you take that route. i would look into the valet thing
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO! I am educated and "blue collar" work is for the uneducated.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O and completing a 4 year degree in a year and a half? RIGHT! At my university you need at least 192 credit hours, and each class is 4. That means you would have to take 10 classes a quarter. either you are lying or dumb.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member