Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Apple iPhone revealed!! (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it certainly won't be released until the pending suit is finished between Apple and Cisco. iPhone is a registered name already, and has been for like 6 years.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think it releases in the summer.

8 GB nano cost $250, the PDA phone with equv. features cost $200-$400... or $190 for a 8GB memory card instead a nano. price seems about right.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ahaha.. i dunno the details... but Cisco has owned that name since 2000.... Apple's getting sued..
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Pretty sure they would have taken care of it before announcing this. Same with how they changed their name to Apple, Inc. (conflicts with a company having to do with The Beatles)
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Streeter
Pretty sure they would have taken care of it before announcing this. Same with how they changed their name to Apple, Inc. (conflicts with a company having to do with The Beatles)
They've been working on details of the contract to hand over the name for quite some time. As Jobs was announcing it, the papers were still not signed. Cisco's PR guy said that the contract was not finalized and that Apple should never have shown the product with that name since it is already used and trademarked/copyrighted(or whatever). Because of that announcement they are suing them.

iPhone was used a few years back on one of the VoIP phones from a company that Cisco bought out.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i heard Apple announced it anyway... and Cisco's already announced the lawsuit.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Madzozs
Originally Posted by Streeter
They've been working on details of the contract to hand over the name for quite some time. As Jobs was announcing it, the papers were still not signed. Cisco's PR guy said that the contract was not finalized and that Apple should never have shown the product with that name since it is already used and trademarked/copyrighted(or whatever). Because of that announcement they are suing them.

iPhone was used a few years back on one of the VoIP phones from a company that Cisco bought out.
Apple has been on a role and in this case, they are being a little bit arrogant, IMO. If Cisco were a smaller company, I think Apple would have just ignored and crushed them. Will be pretty interesting to see how this works out. Cisco doesn't want to sell the name or receive the royalty but make the products open enough to interoperate with each other.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Madzozs
InfoGear was the company

yea.. right now Apple is being a little greedy with some of its technology and Cisco is a litte angry because they want Apple to open up that technology or something something so Cisco can make more money doing the things that they do...

network and connect things together.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

how is any company going to get max % profit by sharing their technology. greed is how you they got ahead. Apple jumped 8% by simply announcing it the iphone.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XxTamTxX
how is any company going to get max % profit by sharing their technology. greed is how you they got ahead. Apple jumped 8% by simply announcing it the iphone.
and down today in a rally day on litigation news...

We don't know what this "sharing technology" means but it doesn't take a genius to guess that it should be mutually beneficial.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i wasn't the first one to say that.. i was commenting on the previous post.

Cisco is jus trying to get their names in the news too.. ride on the buzz too. Which they deserve the plug for owning the rights of the name.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ask Bill Gates, he seems to have done quite well. The reason 90% of the world uses Windows is because BG allowed any and everyone to develop products that required MS-DOS and gave free access to the code (ok, well, not exactly 'free'). It's also the same reason nobody here has ever seen a Beta Max tape. Sony wanted to be the soul producers of the players and tapes, but the folks at VHS let everyone do it.

You'd think Steve would have learned by now. If they want more people using the Macs, they need to be a little more open with their code.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wasn't the first one to say that.. i was commenting on the previous post.

Cisco is jus trying to get their names in the news too.. ride on the buzz too. Which they deserve the plug for owning the rights of the name.
Agree. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

I hope each employees of Cisco gets Apple iPhone as a punitive damage compensation. (yes, i work for Cisco...)
Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm sure it got 'lost in the mail'.. haha.. ^^
Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few details after reading and watching the Keynote on Tuesday...

1) Disregarding any setbacks, expect to see this phone in June.

2) While you can get 18hrs of as an iPod/media player and 5hrs for talking, those numbers sound great. Now factor in if you're doing both at the same time. The huge let down about this product is that you're going to be charging it every other night if not every night and batteries only last so many charges before their ability to keep a charge is greatly effected. And in case none of you have seen the gallery of pictures, this thing is sealed up tight like an iPod and there are no options for extended life batteries or additional ones.

3) This thing is using EDGE technology in a time whenever Cingular(AT&T) is getting ready to light up G3 over the country, not smart...

4) I'm interested to see how long the screen responds after drops, scratches, scuffs... it does happen. I'd love to see this thing put the thru the ringer to prove me wrong.

5) It's pricey... I don't care what it has in it, it's pricey. Flash memory is getting cheaper and cheaper. Hell, SanDisk just released a 32GB SSD for around $600. 8GB of flash memory is a shot in the bucket compared to that.

6) The whole iPhone name fiasco that is going on. Truth be told Cisco owns that name. Apple says they the suit against them from Cisco is 'laughable'... yet it's perfectly okay for Apple to go after anyone that includes the letter 'i' before or the word 'pod' after a product name. I'm not talking about things geared towards MP3 playback (that I would understand) but I'm talking about meters to measure water pH levels and things that don't even make people think they are getting a product from Apple. I hope they are forced to rename the phone to teach them a little humility.

Now this all being said, if they released a product like this a lot cheaper and on CDMA I'd be tempted to purchase it... as for now I'm just waiting on Gen6 iPod to incorporate some of these features and hope on that. My Gen4 is suitable for now, but getting old....

</rant>
Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^
Old 01-13-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjj130
A few details after reading and watching the Keynote on Tuesday...

1) Disregarding any setbacks, expect to see this phone in June.

2) While you can get 18hrs of as an iPod/media player and 5hrs for talking, those numbers sound great. Now factor in if you're doing both at the same time. The huge let down about this product is that you're going to be charging it every other night if not every night and batteries only last so many charges before their ability to keep a charge is greatly effected. And in case none of you have seen the gallery of pictures, this thing is sealed up tight like an iPod and there are no options for extended life batteries or additional ones.

3) This thing is using EDGE technology in a time whenever Cingular(AT&T) is getting ready to light up G3 over the country, not smart...

4) I'm interested to see how long the screen responds after drops, scratches, scuffs... it does happen. I'd love to see this thing put the thru the ringer to prove me wrong.

5) It's pricey... I don't care what it has in it, it's pricey. Flash memory is getting cheaper and cheaper. Hell, SanDisk just released a 32GB SSD for around $600. 8GB of flash memory is a shot in the bucket compared to that.

6) The whole iPhone name fiasco that is going on. Truth be told Cisco owns that name. Apple says they the suit against them from Cisco is 'laughable'... yet it's perfectly okay for Apple to go after anyone that includes the letter 'i' before or the word 'pod' after a product name. I'm not talking about things geared towards MP3 playback (that I would understand) but I'm talking about meters to measure water pH levels and things that don't even make people think they are getting a product from Apple. I hope they are forced to rename the phone to teach them a little humility.

Now this all being said, if they released a product like this a lot cheaper and on CDMA I'd be tempted to purchase it... as for now I'm just waiting on Gen6 iPod to incorporate some of these features and hope on that. My Gen4 is suitable for now, but getting old....

</rant>
Agree with most of what you said.

Quick comments.... Just like Motorola Razr, iPhone (for now) will probably have term based exclusivity with Cingular and will probably be opened to other operators like Verizon and Sprint. With regards to 3G or even 4G, i am sure it's on their roadmap.

Some of my colleagues at Cisco believe that Apple and Cisco are in a collision course and I believe that. Should be interesting to see how this turns out but floodgate has opened and with Job's ego, i do not think Apple will name their phone iPhone anymore.

Now, take a look at this phone from LG... look familiar?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/t...ble-chocolate/
Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That phone looks amazing, very slick, but at the price of a PS3, ouch, lol. But i'm sure with time they'll drop in price just like the old ipods did.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

just 1 question... will u be able to plug it into ur IPOD radio input? that would be siiick :D
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gah!! How does Cingular get these deals? Such terrible service and coverage... and such slow internet... I'll never use one of their phones again.

Now, if Sprint had this phone I'd be in heaven... yay for iPhone with a dealer rate!

Quick Reply: Apple iPhone revealed!! (PICS!)