Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

bald eagle/deer head+power outage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default bald eagle/deer head+power outage!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eagle_pow...JlYmhvBHNlYwM-

JUNEAU, Alaska - About 10,000 Juneau residents briefly lost power after a bald eagle lugging a deer head crashed into transmission lines.

"You have to live in Alaska to have this kind of outage scenario," said Gayle Wood, an Alaska Electric Light & Power spokeswoman. "This is the story of the overly ambitious eagle who evidently found a deer head in the landfill."

The bird, weighed down by the deer head, apparently failed to clear the transmission lines, she said. A repair crew found the eagle dead, the deer head nearby.

The power was out for less than 45 minutes Sunday.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO!!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Another Alaskan only scenario happened to a friend of my father's. He hit a moose with his car and died. Apparently they have several deaths like that per year.

My father owns and operates a crab boat in Dutch Harbor... I hear a lot of crazy Alaskan stories, lol. Maybe later, when I have more time, I'll tell you the tale of my father and the 3 month decayed gray whale explosion.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Another Alaskan only scenario happened to a friend of my father's. He hit a moose with his car and died. Apparently they have several deaths like that per year.

My father owns and operates a crab boat in Dutch Harbor... I hear a lot of crazy Alaskan stories, lol. Maybe later, when I have more time, I'll tell you the tale of my father and the 3 month decayed gray whale explosion.
ooooo ooooo tell it now, tell it now!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Okay... but I'm in the middle of a wootoff and they're about to put a new one up... so give me a bit.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

About 3 or so years ago, my father was out pulling up his crab pots for the season. You see, when they're not using their pots, they can either put them up on land or just simply keep them in a designated spot, in the water. I think my father has different pots for different crab too, so he's always needing to store his, just as the other boats do.

Now out of the 40 or so years he's been up in Dutch Harbor, he has never heard of this happening before. So before you go crying over the whale who lost it's life, remember, this type of death is pretty much unheard of.

So my father is out there with his crew, pulling up the pots that have been there for months and months. My father is intrigued with this one pot though, as it is making the crane, which they use to pull up these heavy pots up with, struggle with effort.

So everyone is outside, by the crane, scratching their heads in confusion when the water starts to bubble. As it starts bubbling, the most awful of smells starts to fill the air. All the men and my father are now even more baffled and are staring at this large mass starting to emerge from the water below.

Closer it gets, the worse it smells and the more the water bubbles. Chunks of rotted meat start to burst from the water and fall upon the deck and the heads of these men.

My father runs inside, retching, and tells the men to just cut the line and leave what he suspects is now a whale, behind, along with the $2000 crab pot. The men whom don't have the luxury of being the boss and captain, are left out there to deal with cutting the line while being rained upon with decay.

It was confirmed by the crew that the large, bubbling and stinking mass was indeed a whale that must of got caught in the crab pot line somehow, many months previous. The gases caused by the decay were what caused the whale to break up and explode (or whatever, we're no scientists).

And to further explain the underwater pot storage if you're unfamiliar with Alaskan crab fishing. When the pot is put into storage like this, they do so in a similar way as they do when fishing. They drop the pot, attached to a very long rope. At the end of this rope is a buoy. So when they go to pick the pot back up, they grab the line, starting with the buoy and thread it on a crane that then winches/cranes/brings up all the line, all the way to the crab pot which is sitting at the bottom of the ocean. I hope that made sense.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that was a fun story
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Okay... but I'm in the middle of a wootoff and they're about to put a new one up... so give me a bit.
Why do I always find out about the wootoffs so late? Lame. I had off work today too. Any bags of crap?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

No Blinged out Cabbage yet. You're not lat at all!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow that whale story is unreal and so is that eagle story.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If that had happened in the south, you'd have had to rope off the area and guard the Eagle carcass.

If you don't know what I mean, then take a peak at this joke:

What's the difference between a northern zoo and a southern zoo?

In the northern zoo, you have the animal in a scene that tries it's best to mimic the natural world. Outside that cage or area, usually on a small wall or something is a little bronze plaque that tells the animal's latin name, the common name, what it eats, and a little bit about its natural habitat.

In the southern zoos, you have all that, and then right next to that bronze plaque is a seperate bronze plaque or two entitled: "Recipies".
Old 01-31-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

LOL!