Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

"THE BIG ONE" is upon us!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default "THE BIG ONE" is upon us!!

Upon feeling the earthquake in Santa Ana 13 miles from my work I begin to realize that the "BIG ONE" is upon us. It started when I told my co-worker yesterday to watch out for an earthquake because of the "earthquake weather been having". She did not believe me but I hate to say this but " I WAS RIGHT!" Not to scare anyone but just to be on the safe side I would like to warn everyone that the BIG ONE is coming. This is not a hoax or a prank but rather an observation. With the weird weather and constant shaking of the earth right along the PACIFIC PLATE I recently predicted two earthquakes. Are they just coincidence? You be the judge. To remind you this is just my careful observation.

The earthquakes listed below are cities which lies on the edge of the PACIFIC PLATE which constantly rubs with surrounding Plates like the NORTH AMERICAN PLATE. (ex. San Andreas Fault) and the Philippine, Nazca and SOUTH AMERICAN PLATE.

It is listed from the the latest to the most recent.

Magnitude 4.8 2007/08/26 20:48:07 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES

Magnitude 4.5 2007/08/27 03:21:21 VOLCANO ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION

Magnitude 4.6 2007/08/27 13:46:05 RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN

Magnitude 4.1 2007/08/28 13:52:24 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 4.7 2007/08/29 08:19:50 CENTRAL PERU

Magnitude 5.1 2007/08/30 12:54:32 CHIAPAS, MEXICO

Magnitude 4.5 2007/08/30 16:42:06 PHILIPPINE ISLANDS REGION

Magnitude 3.0 2007/08/31 21:04:24 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 6.3 2007/09/01 19:14:22 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 4.3 2007/09/02 17:06:12 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 4.7 2007/09/02 17:29:14 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 2.5 2007/09/02 17:31:15 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

If you map these locations(not that you have time to do so) You can see that these recent activities is making a complete circle around the edges of the PACIFIC PLATE. So in my theory we are going to experience the next BIG ONE in only a matter of weeks or months. It's never too early to prepare. Again these are just observations and I'm not trying to scare anyone but rather make everyone aware of the situation. God Bless.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I felt it!! Not convinced this signals the big one---but it will come someday..........
Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Well, hopefully the "Big One" won't come until I'm safely moved from Seattle to Wisconsin, lol.

I hate earthquakes. Well, I think the non-damaging and life threatening ones are awesome but I've been living in fear of this "Big One" for 30+ years now, lol.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally!! For years I've been praying that "The Big One" would come and wipe California off the face of the earth. I'll get my fireworks ready.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

The "big one" has been coming for years. After the San Francisco earthquake ruptured 300 miles of the northern region of the San Andreas Fault in 1906, it's just been a matter of time until the rest of the fault (with displaced stress from the 1906 earthquake) on our end of California ruptures.

It stinks, but it's no surprise. Anyone in California living in areas around an active fault zone, especially one as active as the San Andreas, should expect earthquakes to happen and know how to prepare for them.

If you don't know, then educate yourselves on earthquake safety. It may seem silly now, but it won't when you're stuck in your house for days after "the big one" without food to eat or clean water.[/url]
Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Well, hopefully the "Big One" won't come until I'm safely moved from Seattle to Wisconsin, lol.

I hate earthquakes. Well, I think the non-damaging and life threatening ones are awesome but I've been living in fear of this "Big One" for 30+ years now, lol.
You don't have to worry about the San Andreas up there in Washington...you've got your own subduction earthquake fault up there which is giving you all of those nice volcanoes
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by ROBOTCRANKIT
Originally Posted by Jenna

You don't have to worry about the San Andreas up there in Washington...you've got your own subduction earthquake fault up there which is giving you all of those nice volcanoes
Ah, I see. I was thinking about the Pacific plate that the OP mentioned. But I'm not a geologic expert in the least, lol.

But we have been warned about "The Big One" ever since I can remember. Supposedly we're due.

And there are faults all over the place up here, here's just three...

There are many faults in the Pacific Northwest that can produce damaging earthquakes, including hard-to-identify faults that exist entirely underground and have not been identified at the earth's surface. At the same time, some mapped faults have been located that have not generated earthquakes in recent geologic time. New faults continue to be discovered as more field observations and earthquake data are collected.

There are three different sources for damaging earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest. The first of these is the "Cascadia Subduction Zone", a 1000 km long thrust fault which is the convergent boundary between the Juan de Fuca and North American plates and is the most extensive fault in the Pacific Northwest area. It surfaces about 50 miles offshore along the coasts of British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and northern California. No historic earthquakes have been directly recorded from this source zone. According to recent research, an earthquake estimated to be as large as 8.0 to 9.0 occurred in this zone in January of 1700.

The second source for damaging earthquakes is the Benioff Zone. This zone is the continuation of the extensive faulting that results as the subducting plate is forced into the upper mantle. The Benioff Zone can probably produce earthquakes with magnitudes as large as 7.5. Benioff Zone earthquakes are deeper than 30km.

The third source consists of shallow crustal earthquake activity (depths of 0 to 20 km) within the North American continental plate where faulting is extensive. Past earthquakes have revealed many shallow fault structures, including the Western Rainier Seismic Zone and the Mt. St. Helens Seismic Zone. Our best known crustal fault, the Seattle Fault, runs east-west through Seattle from Issaquah to Bremerton. This fault generated a very large earthquake approximately 1100 years ago. Other crustal faults have been located in the Puget Basin region. Click Here for a map of major faults located in the Puget Basin.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sky is fallin', the sky is fallin'!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all George Bush's fault!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
It's all George Bush's fault!!!!
I blame Dick Chenney
Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i just let the "big one" off this morning. it was thunderous. woke up my neighbors with the tremors. my stomach feels much better now.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc-guy
i just let the "big one" off this morning. it was thunderous. woke up my neighbors with the tremors. my stomach feels much better now.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

This is not news and you are not psychic. Geologists ALL agree that it is coming very soon... Which is why we have been feverously retrofitting every bridge, building, nook, and cranny, although not fast enough.

FYI, weather patterns have nothing to do with geotecnic movements.

I'll agree though that the recent seismic activity is concerning. However, lots of little ones are less distressing to me than years of silence. At least we know that some of the pressure is being released.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm actually more worried about y2k anyway...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

F that...I more worried about the return of Pangea
Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
I'm even more worried that California won't fall into the ocean.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cleveland fans, take note... this is the closest the Browns will ever get to the Superbowl.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 13edge
Cleveland fans, take note... this is the closest the Browns will ever get to the Superbowl.
I think LA water and power and so cal Edison are warning of possible brown outs due to high power demands...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think I'd mention "brown outs" after that post...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by nig_nig_the_conqueror
Originally Posted by tCTaco
I'm even more worried that California won't fall into the ocean.
WTF is your problem? That's a real ignorant thing to say. joking or not, its not something good to say.

Quick Reply: "THE BIG ONE" is upon us!!