Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: Was this guys constitutional rights violated?
YES
73.33%
NO
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Bong Hits 4 Jesus debate

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Jenna
Tomas, you're painting a bit of a different picture about the event than what I had in mind, indeed. I suppose the principal wouldn't have say over what that child was doing then.

I would say "unless" after that last sentence but am unsure if what I'm going to say next is legal or not. It sure isn't very on topic either so feel free to skip...

I grew up in a private Christian school and if I were to smoke, hold up a "bong hits 4 Jesus" sign or any other thing that went against their beliefs or rules, even while not at school or school event, I would of been punished. If I was witnessed flipping off someone while at the mall, on a weekend, I would get detention.

I believe the reason the school got away with it is because I had to sign a covenant at the begining of the year that says I won't do such things.
hah, posted right before me
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
I grew up in a private Christian school and if I were to smoke, hold up a "bong hits 4 Jesus" sign or any other thing that went against their beliefs or rules, even while not at school or school event, I would of been punished. If I was witnessed flipping off someone while at the mall, on a weekend, I would get detention.
me too, but when you go to a private school, you waive your right to a public education. You agree to participate in that school and it's religious views. And what's the worse that can happen? You get kicked out of the private school, but you haven't served a day of mandatory state-sponsored suspension because you expressed your constitutional right.

Personally, in my christian school i went to for a time in highschool, the MAX punishment they would do was you+offender+teacher+principal all held hands and prayed that you would overcome satan's temptation to sin. yes it was that lame. the next step after that was permanent explusion to public school.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

What private Christian school did you attend, Dave?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Arlington Christian Academy. Texas.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Damn, I thought maybe by some strange coincidence, we'd of went to the same one.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 major points:

1)Kids do not lose their constitutional rights when they walk through the doors of school. At school, they still have them, but there are rules for "At school" in the way of dress codes and such. But they weren't "at school". They were dismissed from school. They were encouraged to goto the event, but it was not compulsary, and it looks like they were in someone's front yard or on the street.....not at school, not on a field trip, not on school grounds at the football game......home.

2) I may not like what you have to say but I will defend with my life your right to say it.

Other, less major but still interesting points:

1) The school's lawyer is Kenneth fricking Starr. Ken Starr folks. He spent SEVERAL HUNDRED MILLION dollars of yours and mine tax dollars trying to uncover fellatio in the white house. They only spent about 45 million on the 9/11 investigation. Let that sink in for just a minute, and try not puke on your keyboard.

The kid did not take this to the supreme court, the school did. In other words, the school has already lost SEVERAL TIMES in lower courts.

What is this business about having to control kids at school? Did I miss something? Are we getting ready to install jack boots? Please. The principal could have easily just ignored this, but it seems that she and the kid have a bit of a history. Him being a limit testing adolescent, and she being an undeniably controlling biscuit from way back with emotional issues and the intellect of a genius fruit fly.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheheheh...

Nicely put, scionofPCFL. Very nice turns of phrase in there. :D