Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Boost tC or V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Boost tC or V8

Well, Im debating wether to boost the tC and have fun with it or just finish with the typical bolt on's as in Intake, Header, Full Exhaust, Pulleys, Port and Polish (maybe) and if so on the P&P work fuel management and then get a 89' 5.0 Mustang for about 2500 drop a crate motor or even a Windsor in it and completely shave it and have a fun car for weekend crusing.

This wont be until this summer, so its been in hard thought and I have nothing to say yet, please convince me oneway or another.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Option number 2, minus the headwork. Have a reliable tC with some tasteful bolt ons to daily drive, and a american muscle warrior for the weekends and track.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the mustang for your fun time weekends! will be a great car to work on and plus parts are dime a doz. to get
Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
get the mustang for your fun time weekends! will be a great car to work on and plus parts are dime a doz. to get
x2 The 5.0 mustang is one of the easiest, cheapest, and most rewarding cars to modify. I know several people with them, and they are really happy with the mustang.

Also, a word of advice, stick to 89-93 model cars as they have the much better Mass-air computers (making modifications easier). Though, with the right parts, no 79-2004 mustang is really hard to modify. Finally, there is a ton of information out there for these cars, should you have a problem.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and you can reprogram the ECU with a hand held unit!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say be a baller and do both or go with the second option. my tc should be turbo'd by may, i already got a sr20'd 240sx and a starion. its fun having multiple quick cars. im contemplating finishing my dads '64.5 fastback mustang too.. as much as i love my japanese cars, american muscle is always nice.. and like evreone said.. ridiculously easy to work on..
Old 02-14-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skip the Mustang and get a 92-94 AWD DSM.

Awd turbo > rwd V8
Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take in consideration im 18 making minimum wage, the reason I say I want a fox body 5.0 my friend has one and those things scoot. Im thinking about buy just a body this summer, and maybe a 351 Windsor. Then the next summer rebuilding the motor boreing it out and swap internals to make it push close to 500 hp outta a N/A motor with just cams intake and completle bored out along with some new internals which I have been looking and could find a 351 Windsor for about 200 at a junkyard, then about 2000 to make what i want to make outta it and note not even using top of the line equipment.

Then lets see an AWD DSM walk on it...

Or option two is buying a Crate motor from Summit and building that, Im also looking to bolt a Cobra Six speed to it on either motor I get, This isnt a definate project but just something to have to do when I come home from school and store it in my fathers Ofiice's garage.

Along with the sound of a V8 with loudmouths lets see if ill even be able to hear that AWD Turbo next to me.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teamben158
Skip the Mustang and get a 92-94 AWD DSM.

Awd turbo > rwd V8

dahahahahaha

possibly the worst advice I have ever seen.

Go with the mustang, as it has a higher potential and it can always be built upon.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by himynameischris
take in consideration im 18 making minimum wage, the reason I say I want a fox body 5.0 my friend has one and those things scoot. Im thinking about buy just a body this summer, and maybe a 351 Windsor. Then the next summer rebuilding the motor boreing it out and swap internals to make it push close to 500 hp outta a N/A motor with just cams intake and completle bored out along with some new internals which I have been looking and could find a 351 Windsor for about 200 at a junkyard, then about 2000 to make what i want to make outta it and note not even using top of the line equipment.

Then lets see an AWD DSM walk on it...

Or option two is buying a Crate motor from Summit and building that, Im also looking to bolt a Cobra Six speed to it on either motor I get, This isnt a definate project but just something to have to do when I come home from school and store it in my fathers Ofiice's garage.

Along with the sound of a V8 with loudmouths lets see if ill even be able to hear that AWD Turbo next to me.
Built 6 bolt
T3 GT35R
AEM EMS
3" exhaust
Supporting fuel mods
etc

Low 10/high 9s on a modest street tune (30-35 lbs of boost).

Plus, they look a lot better.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup and im happy i can drive that everyday...

cmon im looking for something realistic, the tC was bought for me BY MY PARENTS, this car will have to last me through college, if im looking at boosting it will be at like 8 psi with about 250 to the wheels, a built fox body will be realistically easier.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup and im happy i can drive that everyday...

cmon im looking for something realistic, the tC was bought for me BY MY PARENTS, this car will have to last me through college, if im looking at boosting it will be at like 8 psi with about 250 to the wheels, a built fox body will be realistically easier.
DSM motors are a lot different than tC motors. 8 psi is nothing for them as they are built to be turbo motors.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up so no matter what I suggest, it won't make a difference. Have fun.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teamben158

Low 10/high 9s on a modest street tune (30-35 lbs of boost).

Plus, they look a lot better.
You call 30-35 lbs of boost a "modest" street tune? I would think 20lbs pretty much tops off anything you could consider a street tune, especially for a dsm.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$ is a huge factor, the cost to replace AWD parts is a HUGE difference.

If I were to build a DSM motor, it would defeinatly NOT be an AWD car like a 3000GT or something of that sort, yes they can be amazing cars but not for my likeings.

My mind is pretty much made up at this point due to the fact of how easy I can mod the car and make it a realistic dream, and I will most likely do the 5.0 in memory of my friend that is entering the Navy Seals and he is the one with it.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$ is a huge factor, the cost to replace AWD parts is a HUGE difference.

If I were to build a DSM motor, it would defeinatly NOT be an AWD car like a 3000GT or something of that sort, yes they can be amazing cars but not for my likeings.

My mind is pretty much made up at this point due to the fact of how easy I can mod the car and make it a realistic dream, and I will most likely do the 5.0 in memory of my friend that is entering the Navy Seals and he is the one with it.
If you're set on the 5.0, I'd skip boosting the tC. Keep the tC as the reliable, warrantied car so when the 5.0 is being worked on, you still have a car you don't have to worry about breaking.

I was referring to a 1g Eclipse or Talon by the way.