Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Can Cingular suck any more?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Can Cingular suck any more?!?

for those of you that have Cingular as your wireless provider I say I'm sorry. I've had Cingular for almost 9 years now and the last year has been terrible. They say "the fewest dropped calls" but you have to connect first to drop a call, and connecting is a 50/50 chance. I get "Call ended" or "Network busy" or "Call Failed" or some crap like that most of the time trying to call out. and when people call me, sometimes it goes right to voicemail for no reason.

my latest problem is that my phone tells me I have a voice mail and when you call the voice mail it tells you that you have none. WTF! and the voice mail icon doesn't go away. it's been on my phone for 3 days now, and I do turn my phone off every night.
ok, enought ranting. I had to get that off my chest. thanks for listening.

P.S. for those of you who will ask me if I called Cingular, the answer is Yes. They tell me that they are "working on the problem".
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cingular has horrible service, they are the new "used car salesmen" of the 2000's.....

man they are awesome when they making the sale, but after the sale they suck, the service, coverage and there plans suck.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Really I have Cingular and I have to say I am really happy.. I have about 90% less dropped calls than I did when I was with Verizon. Every so often I will get a "called Failed Retry Again" messege.

I really have to say in all honesty they have been good to me and I have been with them since Jan '04. They offered me 2 lines with phones (I only took 1) for free no activation charges and I have a pretty decent calling plan, a great 1 isnt needed with roll over minutes.
Sorry to hear your bad experience but then it could be worse you could have T-Mobile (sucky service) or Nextel (poor billing dept and CS).
Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well shoot. Now I don't know what to do. I had my mind all made up that when my current contract with Verizon expires in a few months, I was going to go with Cingular. I have been very happy with Verizon's service. I always have a good signal, I never have a problem connecting, and I never have dropped calls. The only reason I was thinking of switching to Cingular was because of "roll-over". There are some months that my wife and I use only about half of our plan's minutes, and some months we go slightly over. I hate the fact that we lose the minutes we don't use. Roll-over just seems to make sense. I paid for those minutes. I also like the fact that Cingular doesn't disable half of the features on their BlueTooth compatable phones like Verizon does. But none of that matters if the service sucks. *sigh* I don't know what to do.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am a Cingular customer as well and I dont experience that many issues and im way out in BFE. I do have 2 phones and the standard Motorola V180 that they give with (they do here anyways..) service does suck. I ended up buying a better one for my 2nd phone and I havent had any issues with it. That would be the only thing I recommend is buy a better phone when getting service.
Other then that ,so far im a happy customer.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe it's a Florida thing. many of my friends have Cingular and experience the same problems.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by violent_b
maybe it's a Florida thing. many of my friends have Cingular and experience the same problems.
That's weird. With Florida being pretty flat, you would think that any cell cervice would work excellent there. Go figure.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the voice message icon that shows but usually that happens when I check my voice message before it has a chance to display. Other than that I have had no problems with cingular.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheIcon
I have the voice message icon that shows but usually that happens when I check my voice message before it has a chance to display. Other than that I have had no problems with cingular.
Good...someone from my neck of the woods. I'm about an hour from Towson. So it works pretty well for you? That's good to know.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep other than tha tone issue which doesn't always happen I have never had much trouble with it. Here and there maybe but nothing on a consistant basis.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know much about cingular, but be happy your phone didn't lose all your contacts and photos when you turned it back on...like my t-mobile phone did last week.
________
White Widow Seeds

Last edited by 06CStC; 02-28-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never experienced any dropped calls with cingular. Never had any problems at all, oh, except for clarity on occasion.

matt, go for it, I'm in PA, and its fine.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as your voicemail problem... leave a message on your own phone. then check it, after you check it, it will go away.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kurenai
I've never experienced any dropped calls with cingular. Never had any problems at all, oh, except for clarity on occasion.

matt, go for it, I'm in PA, and its fine.
Cool. Good to know...thanks. Now the only other problem is that 90% of my friends and contacts are with Verizon. If I switch to Cingular, I won't be part of the "In" network anymore. Those calls are all free right now. Oh well.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Can Cingular suck any more?!?

my latest problem is that my phone tells me I have a voice mail and when you call the voice mail it tells you that you have none. WTF! and the voice mail icon doesn't go away. it's been on my phone for 3 days now, and I do turn my phone off every night.
Have you checked your text messages yet?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Can Cingular suck any more?!?

for those of you that have Cingular as your wireless provider I say I'm sorry. I've had Cingular for almost 9 years now and the last year has been terrible. They say "the fewest dropped calls" but you have to connect first to drop a call, and connecting is a 50/50 chance. I get "Call ended" or "Network busy" or "Call Failed" or some crap like that most of the time trying to call out. and when people call me, sometimes it goes right to voicemail for no reason.

ok, enought ranting. I had to get that off my chest. thanks for listening.

P.S. for those of you who will ask me if I called Cingular, the answer is Yes. They tell me that they are "working on the problem".

do u have the old 32k sim card or the newer 64k sim card or a 3g sim card....the sim card will make a difference. what phone are u using as well?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

bill,

i kno what you mean man ive been gettin that a lot lately around here and i have no clue why. i mean i havent called cingular to ask if they are having issues or what but it irritates the hell outta me when im tryin to call my buddies up on a friday night and all i get is "ALL CIRCUITS ARE BUSY AT THIS MOMENT" its gotta be something locally
Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Cingular is awful. My old phone broke so I bought a new one - the exact same model as the one that broke except it was an "unlocked" phone. I did this so I didn't have to reup on a lousy plan for two years.

Even though it is the same exact phone, my service is even worse than it was with an official Cingular phone. I swear, they are screwing me because I didn't buy my hardware from them.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
Cingular is awful. My old phone broke so I bought a new one - the exact same model as the one that broke except it was an "unlocked" phone. I did this so I didn't have to reup on a lousy plan for two years.

Even though it is the same exact phone, my service is even worse than it was with an official Cingular phone. I swear, they are screwing me because I didn't buy my hardware from them.
depending on the phone u bought...it may not have the frequency band that works best in teh US....a lot of times even tho the phone is unlocked its lacking the 850mhz band which is what the US uses.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The phone (Motorola v180) works fine, it just does not have the "range" that the one I got from Cingular has. I have a Cingular Treo as well and it will have 3-4 bars in places where the v180 has none.

It is entirely possible that some shady online place screwed me over and sold me a bum phone as well.

Quick Reply: Can Cingular suck any more?!?