Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Can Cingular suck any more?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYXbScion
As far as your voicemail problem... leave a message on your own phone. then check it, after you check it, it will go away.
been there...done that, it didn't work. checked text messages...none there. and as of today the message icon is STILL on.

I have the LG 1400 phone. I don't really know which SIM card I have. I just want to throw my phone sometimes, at a Cingular store.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

with the VM indicator not going away....customer service has a program called snooper that is used to reset VM and situations like yours when the icon doesnt go away.

and if u wanted to check your sim, on the sim card itself it will display whether its a 32k or a 64k...also...u may need to have an update sent out to it as well...
Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol guys i work for cingular, i mean i agree about sometimes the phones have dropped calls but in competition with others, it is true. but what helps alot with the dropped calls is either to turn off the phone, take off the battery, take out the sim card and whipe it off and put everything back together, everything should work. believe it or not, the sim card is basically the antenna of the phone, so most of the dropping calls is from that, make sure u have the latest sim cards that came out like the 64k with 3g. another way to help is to shock the phone, in which the phone will be on, and u take off the battery while the phone is on. that can help too. i hope this might solve your problems
Old 04-25-2006, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only very very remote areas where i lose service.

but i have to admit, cingular has nicer looking phones.

verizon customer since 1996 since before they were called verizon.

good luck with your phone. sorry for your troubles. my only problem with any cell phone is a motorola product. they all suck
Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

violent_b . . . the same exact things have been happening with me lately. I was with AT&T forever, and just switched my three lines over to the Cingular side. Ever since then I have had so many dropped calls, not to mention the voicemail thing. I tried leaving myself a message and then checking it to see if it went away and that didn't work. It was there for 2 days before if finally disappeared one morning. And no . . .it wasn't a text.

evette
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by evette
violent_b . . . the same exact things have been happening with me lately. I was with AT&T forever, and just switched my three lines over to the Cingular side. Ever since then I have had so many dropped calls, not to mention the voicemail thing. I tried leaving myself a message and then checking it to see if it went away and that didn't work. It was there for 2 days before if finally disappeared one morning. And no . . .it wasn't a text.

evette
at least you VM icon went away. man I hate Cingular, but it seams that any carrier you go with has some problems.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Can Cingular suck any more?!?

Originally Posted by violent_b
for those of you that have Cingular as your wireless provider I say I'm sorry. I've had Cingular for almost 9 years now and the last year has been terrible. They say "the fewest dropped calls" but you have to connect first to drop a call, and connecting is a 50/50 chance. I get "Call ended" or "Network busy" or "Call Failed" or some crap like that most of the time trying to call out. and when people call me, sometimes it goes right to voicemail for no reason.

my latest problem is that my phone tells me I have a voice mail and when you call the voice mail it tells you that you have none. WTF! and the voice mail icon doesn't go away. it's been on my phone for 3 days now, and I do turn my phone off every night.
ok, enought ranting. I had to get that off my chest. thanks for listening.

P.S. for those of you who will ask me if I called Cingular, the answer is Yes. They tell me that they are "working on the problem".
Okay....I never thought that I would be defending the company that I work for, but I guess that's what I get for doing Customer Care/Tech Support.

As far as your phone not connecting or dropping calls, it is most likely one or a combination of both things. Now, I'm not at work, so I don't have access to the information of your area. And if you're in Florida, I wouldn't really have much to go with anyway (different systems). As many of you know, AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless merged a little over a year ago. I'm assuming you had AT&T Wireless before due to the amount of time you have been a subscriber. Since these two comapnies have merged together, we are making our network work BETTER for our consumers...but it will not seem that way at first. The towers are being integrated, or "adjusted", to work better for everyone and work the same for everyone...both former AT&T and Cingular customers. (different companies=different towers) We are working to form ONE network, which now services 54 million customers. During this time that work is being performed on the towers, you may experience an increased amount of dropped calls or "call failed" messages. I appologize on behalf of Cingular. This will not take us long, but we do have the entire nation to cover, and most, if not all customers are going to experience the affects of the integration.

(and if you have Sprint/Nextel and are wondering why you have not experienced any change in your service, Sprint and Nextel do not work off of the same technology. Nothing was changed except the name/logo.)

Anyway, the other thing that may be causing this is the device itself. If you have not had your phone for a year, and the phone has not suffered any damage by water or by impact (ie. dropping it, applying pressure to it), you may be eligible to exchange the device under the 1-yr manufacturer's warranty. You may call 1-800-801-1101 if you would like to exchange the device. If the 1-year warranty has run out, you may replace the phone through Lock/Line Insurance (if you pay for the service every month), or may check on the eligibility for an upgrade. Otherwise, you would have to purchase a phone at retail price, or check your online auction site of choice.

Now, with the voicemail issue. Call your phone and leave yourself a message. Give the phone a minute to register that a message has been left. Check the message and delete it, then when you are ready to exit the system, press the * key instead of just closing the phone or ending the call with the "end call" button. Make sure you press the * key to exit the system. It will say goodbye and disconnect the call. The message waiting indicator of the phone should go away after this is performed. If the indicator remains, you may need to have your entire voice mailbox reset...meaning you will lose any saved messages, and will have to record a new greeting.

I think I've covered your issues........I hope so anyway.

- Desirée
Old 04-26-2006, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Can Cingular suck any more?!?

Originally Posted by Blue_tC
for those of you that have Cingular as your wireless provider I say I'm sorry. I've had Cingular for almost 9 years now and the last year has been terrible. They say "the fewest dropped calls" but you have to connect first to drop a call, and connecting is a 50/50 chance. I get "Call ended" or "Network busy" or "Call Failed" or some crap like that most of the time trying to call out. and when people call me, sometimes it goes right to voicemail for no reason.

my latest problem is that my phone tells me I have a voice mail and when you call the voice mail it tells you that you have none. WTF! and the voice mail icon doesn't go away. it's been on my phone for 3 days now, and I do turn my phone off every night.
ok, enought ranting. I had to get that off my chest. thanks for listening.

P.S. for those of you who will ask me if I called Cingular, the answer is Yes. They tell me that they are "working on the problem".
Okay....I never thought that I would be defending the company that I work for, but I guess that's what I get for doing Customer Care/Tech Support.

As far as your phone not connecting or dropping calls, it is most likely one or a combination of both things. Now, I'm not at work, so I don't have access to the information of your area. And if you're in Florida, I wouldn't really have much to go with anyway (different systems). As many of you know, AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless merged a little over a year ago. I'm assuming you had AT&T Wireless before due to the amount of time you have been a subscriber. Since these two comapnies have merged together, we are making our network work BETTER for our consumers...but it will not seem that way at first. The towers are being integrated, or "adjusted", to work better for everyone and work the same for everyone...both former AT&T and Cingular customers. (different companies=different towers) We are working to form ONE network, which now services 54 million customers. During this time that work is being performed on the towers, you may experience an increased amount of dropped calls or "call failed" messages. I appologize on behalf of Cingular. This will not take us long, but we do have the entire nation to cover, and most, if not all customers are going to experience the affects of the integration.

(and if you have Sprint/Nextel and are wondering why you have not experienced any change in your service, Sprint and Nextel do not work off of the same technology. Nothing was changed except the name/logo.)

Anyway, the other thing that may be causing this is the device itself. If you have not had your phone for a year, and the phone has not suffered any damage by water or by impact (ie. dropping it, applying pressure to it), you may be eligible to exchange the device under the 1-yr manufacturer's warranty. You may call 1-800-801-1101 if you would like to exchange the device. If the 1-year warranty has run out, you may replace the phone through Lock/Line Insurance (if you pay for the service every month), or may check on the eligibility for an upgrade. Otherwise, you would have to purchase a phone at retail price, or check your online auction site of choice.

Now, with the voicemail issue. Call your phone and leave yourself a message. Give the phone a minute to register that a message has been left. Check the message and delete it, then when you are ready to exit the system, press the * key instead of just closing the phone or ending the call with the "end call" button. Make sure you press the * key to exit the system. It will say goodbye and disconnect the call. The message waiting indicator of the phone should go away after this is performed. If the indicator remains, you may need to have your entire voice mailbox reset...meaning you will lose any saved messages, and will have to record a new greeting.

I think I've covered your issues........I hope so anyway.

- Desirée
thanks for the info Desiree, I had At&T like in 1996 or 1997 but they kept screwing up my bill for 7 months straight so when the 1 year was up, I moved to Cingular. I know it's just not my phone since my friends (who have totally different phones) have the same problem. I've had my phone the longest out of all of them but even my friend that got his Razor 3 months ago has the same problems as me.

I will try the voice mail thing with the * button and see.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the razr has been having problems with dropped calls but they recalled most of them, what kind of sim do you have? 64k?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have cingular and love it. I got rid of my home phone and have 3 cell phones, one for me one for the wife and one for at home. What I like is all the calls to each other are free and with the rollover minutes I never have to worry about going over.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just checked and I have the 64K sim card.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so I called my voicemail, left a message, waitied a couple of minutes, checked my message, and hit the * button to end it and guess what?

THE VM ICON IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow!

now if fixing the network was that simple.

Thanks Desiree for the info.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so I called my voicemail, left a message, waitied a couple of minutes, checked my message, and hit the * button to end it and guess what?

THE VM ICON IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow!

now if fixing the network was that simple.

Thanks Desiree for the info.
LOL...it works the same way for Verizon. My wife never waits to hit the * key, so her mail icon is always lit. I clear mine out right away.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Desirée -

Thanks for the info - the thing about switiching the towers out makes sense as to why my v180 (AT&T sim card) has no signal when my Cingular Treo has 4 bars.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had AT&T wireless, and it was FLAWLESS. Cingular took over, and it was still very good...better than others I had. Now, I have an LG C1500 phone. It worked fine from November until three weeks ago. Problems started with getting voicemails 2 days after they were placed and phone calls going straight to voicemail. Now, I get signal bars but the display does not say Cingular. I called, and they think it's a problem with the phone, so were supposed to send me a new one. This was Friday...still didn't receive it today. I called and it hadn't been shipped yet. WTF??? I demanded it to be FedEx'd to me tomorrow.
They suck. I think they all suck. I will keep it until my contract is over next year. After that, I think I will get a home phone again and forget this cell crapola!
Old 04-26-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if u have signal bars and it doesnt say cingular...it may not be a phone issue...it could be a sim card issue...
Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have both a verizon and cingular phone. lets just say the only reason why i deal with cingular's problem is to use my motorola razr v3x.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Da_Mac
Really I have Cingular and I have to say I am really happy.. I have about 90% less dropped calls than I did when I was with Verizon. Every so often I will get a "called Failed Retry Again" messege.

I really have to say in all honesty they have been good to me and I have been with them since Jan '04. They offered me 2 lines with phones (I only took 1) for free no activation charges and I have a pretty decent calling plan, a great 1 isnt needed with roll over minutes.
Sorry to hear your bad experience but then it could be worse you could have T-Mobile (sucky service) or Nextel (poor billing dept and CS).
what do you mean by t mobile has sucky service? I hav a sidekick 2 and I must say that it hasn't been a walk in the park for me all the time. Although I have service where my verizon phone didn't. Although the thing I hate about the signal is that once you get out of a phone call you hav 2 wait for the phone to reconnect to the service.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BangorXB
if u have signal bars and it doesnt say cingular...it may not be a phone issue...it could be a sim card issue...
I agree, but the "professionals" at Cingular thought it was the phone. It's still under warranty, so I'll let them send me a new one. Funny thing is, it's working at the moment. Hasn't for 3 days.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be honest, Cingular is the best yet, and I've used Sprint, Us Cellular, Verizon, and now Cingular, and they have the best service "in my area". Sprint thinks I live next to an ocean, and USCC just sucks.

Cingular is rolling to a 3G network in August nationwide, but a lot of places have it, including Milwaukee and surrounding areas. I just got the new LG CU320 phone, and it works great, no drops or distortions, and its 1 of 2 phones cingular has with the 3G support. My previous phone was teh SE z500 and that dropped calls like crazy.

I think cingular's issue is the phones drop the calls, NOT the network.

Quick Reply: Can Cingular suck any more?!?