Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: Can there be peace in Iraq?
YES
15.00%
NO
85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Can there be peace in Iraq?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About 1/10 of the force that's in Iraq is in Afghanistan.

Sorry, but you totally missed my point. Imagine going on a road trip from Ohio to NYC to see a dying aunt. You've got a driver a co-pilot and a gaggle of kids in the back. Driver follows co-pilot's directions without question. 3 weeks later they are driving by the Luxor pyramid in Las Vegas, NV.

Their opportunity to see their dying aunt in NYC is over and can never be regained, cause their aunt died a week ago, and they were somewhere in the middle of the US at the time, lost as can be.

This could have been avoided in several ways:

1) a better co-pilot
2) a driver that would actually question the co-pilot when the driver felt uneasy about something
3) If the 12 year old in the back, who knew the difference between east and west, would have had the authority to override the driver or co-pilot, or if the driver or co-pilot would have simply listened to the 12 year olds repeated attempts to correct their course.

We're there, and we're stuck there for right now. It sucks for everyone involved, but for better or worse we are there, and I feel so sorry for everyone who is over there, and their families that words can't express it.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
Originally Posted by b_adair87
I joined at 17 so i could be a part of defeanding our freedom and if being in the middle east helps that then thats where im gonna be, proudly.
How is it going to help?
Sorry but i can't answer that question even if we are debating. I started too but I still represent the military, and thats a no comment answer from me.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
but im sure if you were over here you would be thankful for it.
can you please elaborate? we're not over there, you are.
why are you thankful for being there?
He's saying be thankfull for the money we're spending over there. The point he's missing is that he shouldn't be over there in the first place, as we shouldn't have a fighting force over there. Our soldiers should be home right now in other words.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do get what you saying but no one knows for sure where he is if we did i'm sure we would have caught him by now. There is alot of other thing that go on here other then searching for Bin Laden.
Even if we did catch him, it still wouldnt be over but it would be nice. I think we are in the right places as far as the war is concerned. We still do alot of good even if its not catching him.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
I joined at 17 so i could be a part of defeanding our freedom and if being in the middle east helps that then thats where im gonna be, proudly.
How is it going to help?
Sorry but i can't answer that question even if we are debating. I started too but I still represent the military, and thats a no comment answer from me.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We still do alot of good even if its not catching him.
again, please elaborate what good is being done. I listen to npr and the bbc everyday, and just about all they report is how we've near totally destroyed their economy.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know why my posts got all jacked up but i did quote the one and the other one double posted oh well.

Thats one of the reasons i dont watch the news is cause all the like to report is the bad stuff it seems like, so ofcoarse alot of people are gonna look at it like were doing no good over here. I can't really get into this too much cause of military reasons, but we are fighting terrorists, building schools, hospitals, helping them with their freedom, etc. Basically what im trying to get at is we are restructuring their economy and fighting terrorists at the same time. I cant really get into it to much because my words also reflect upon the military.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not talking about their reports, npr does alot of the interviews with iraqis there. small business owners.

hasn't unemployment skyrocketed since we came there?
how about inflation?
access to food?

i'm asking, are those particular things worse now then they were in saddam's reign?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really don't know the answers to those ?'s . Some may say that their economy was better under Saddam's command. But their economy will be better in the long run.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem is that too many people are dying on a daily basis. You have 2 waring factions plus us. All of the bodies are blamed on us, no matter what way you slice it. The orphans of those bodies are going to be recruited by the terroirsts, because they are the only ones that are going to feed, clothe, and shelter them. They will be greatful for that, and will be in a perfect position to accept and believe more than anything else, more than they know the sky is blue even, that the Americans are the sole reason for all of their troubles. Those with the apptitude will become bomb makers, snipers, and then leaders. Those without will be groomed for becoming a human bomb. But they will all hate the Americans and British with every fiber of their being till the day they themselves are dead.

In their cartoons, Osama is GI Joe and Bush is Cobra Kahn. That's how they will grow up, and it is they will die.

I don't have a solution, but I also know that if you get the right people together (I'm not one of them), that they can develop the long term strategy that we need to fix this crapola we've gotten ourselves into. Unfortunately, this administration has goals that vastly differ from what they are spewing on about at the press conferences.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
The problem is that too many people are dying on a daily basis. You have 2 The orphans of those bodies are going to be recruited by the terroirsts, because they are the only ones that are going to feed, clothe, and shelter them. They will be greatful for that, and will be in a perfect position to accept and believe more than anything else, more than they know the sky is blue even, that the Americans are the sole reason for all of their troubles. Those with the apptitude will become bomb makers, snipers, and then leaders. Those without will be groomed for becoming a human bomb. But they will all hate the Americans and British with every fiber of their being till the day they themselves are dead.

Agreed and thanks for letting him know what i was talking about cause i neer saw that post.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/55944
Old 04-15-2007, 06:51 PM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

no because the people fighting now interpret that thats what their god wants them to do and you can not change someones oppinion who will not listen and thinks they have a permit from god
us soldiers killing them is no help either because they are willing to die for what were fighting them for.
i just wish all those soldiers there now and the ones who died were just home with their families right now.