Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Canon Rebel XT vs Nikon D40

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Default Canon Rebel XT vs Nikon D40

Assuming I get the money for either this summer.......

Anybody with one of these two cameras wanna make any suggestions? I'm kinda leaning towards the Rebel for a few different reasons: 1) I read that the Nikon D40 doesn't have exposure bracketing, and I wanna try learning to do HDR photos, 2) A friend of mine has this camera, so I've used it a little bit, and he'd be able to show me all the gizmo's and doodad's on it, 3) The only thing I've ever been around really is Canon's, my dad has a Canon Powershot G-something, about 2-3 years old, a Canon hand-held video camera, I forget the name, and a Canon XH-A1 HD video camera. And this past Christmas, he got me a Canon Powershot A720 IS. Canons, Canons, everywhere!!!

And I know I'm gonna get the whole, "It's all about the lense" thing, and I realize that, but in terms of the camera itself, right out of the box, which one should I go for?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

olympus cameras
Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Ok, all other brands aside though...it's come down to these two cameras and I'm hoping for some opinions from people who actually own one of those two.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The less time and effort you spend worrying about your equipment the better the images you will take.

Why is it that with over 60 years of improvements in cameras, lens sharpness and film grain, resolution and dynamic range that no one has been able to equal what Ansel Adams did back in the 1940s?

Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do.

Read the articles here before buying ANY camera: http://kenrockwell.com/index.htm
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Ok, again, and I don't mean to be a butt, but...I'm kinda just looking for opinions from those who own these particular cameras.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a D50, which is a slightly older version of the D40. It does everything I ask of it, but I honestly admit that isn't much. It's a much better camera than I am a photographer.

Camera bodies come and go. Want to edit your images? There is plenty of software for that. I know you mentioned it already but it's all about the photographer. Good lenses wouldn't hurt, either.

It's like guitar playing. If you only have enough money for either a good guitar/average amp or a average guitar/good amp, experienced players will pick the average guitar with a good amp.

A good amp is like a good lens.

Oh, and be prepared to spend a lot of time reading about lenses and then spending hundreds, maybe thousands on lenses.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to work for Radioshack, and we sold the Rebel XT... that camera is amazing!!!

i dont know much about the other one.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Yeah I'll worry about lenses later though. I just want something to learn with for now, that I'll be to upgrade later with lenses and flashes and stuff.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

My wife and i have xts.. mine is older and only 6mp while hers is new with 8. all in all, i love both cameras. also got into cause of a mutual friend of ours who had a cannon and knew how to work it. Id go with cannon just cause its familiar and i dont plan on doing anything other than taking pics as a hobby.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ Cool, that's the kind of replies I'm looking for lol.

BUMP for more info.....
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i just bought a canon XSI which is the new replacement for the XTI, i purchased the xsi only because i felt it would last me longer in the long run. overall i prefer canon's over nikon's both are eqully good, but i feel that canon's are simpler while still giving the advanced users what they want.. and the XTI's are starting to come down becuase of the XSI's release, so keep your eyes open!

GL
Old 06-12-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Personally i like this camera

http://www.exilim.com/intl/ex_f1/

high speed video and really good picture quality
Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Honeslty between the 2 it is just personal preferance, there is no reall difference. go with what you want.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm the latest issue of Consumer reports rated the Nikon D80 SLR the highest, for best all around performance (but for a D80 you'd have to be willing to spend at least $800 + cost of lens). I believe the Olympus EVolt was the next best SLR for all around performance-- for "advanced users" the best was the Canon EOS 40D =]

I don't have the magazine on me right now but I know they rated the D40 and the XSI too-- I'll take a look at it later-
I personally am looking to get the D80 though-- Some places like Costco are selling the D80 as a bundle package, so it includes a lens and carrying case, memory card etc all for like $900
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have been using the rebel XT for about 3 years and i have probably maxed out its capabilities. i find that its a fantastic camera to learn how to use a DSLR. if you want to stick with a canon and want to have more capabilities then get a XTi or XSi. the XTi has more megpix and better sensor than the XT and since the release of the newest XSi it has dropped in price a lot.

i find that the D40 is about the same as the XTi as it has a better sensor than the XT and a more color sensitive sensor. i think that you should be debating between the XTi and the D40.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Canon all the way.

Save yourself some money and buy just the XT body, with a 50mm fixed lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Old 06-13-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was looking at the D40 for a while. Then I saw the D80... and the D200... If I wasn't buying a house soon I'd be getting the D80 or D200. They seem like they are just higher end versions of the D40. My friend has it I believe. I've seen some insane photos with it. Yes, the photographer makes the photo but this camera helps out quite a bit. If you are a beginner I would recommend the D40 and a book or class on photography or you will have way more power than you need. I've been working with various camera since high school. (crappy point and snap, normal film, old manual ones, crappy digitals, and the olympus C4000) I haven't taken classes on photography but I have read a bit and have quite a few art grad friends that give pointers. I unfortunately have not played with the Canon you speak of so my reference is one sided.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Im a canon user, xti or xt are nice but I also recommend dx40 from nikon for starters unless you want to invest on the full frame ones, but a better lens and skill should be more of the concern.

my shots on xti on just the stock kit lens- a better lens could be better

http://flickr.com/photos/ace83/
Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Canon Rebel XT vs Nikon D40

Originally Posted by SCIONshane
Assuming I get the money for either this summer.......

Anybody with one of these two cameras wanna make any suggestions? I'm kinda leaning towards the Rebel for a few different reasons: 1) I read that the Nikon D40 doesn't have exposure bracketing, and I wanna try learning to do HDR photos, 2) A friend of mine has this camera, so I've used it a little bit, and he'd be able to show me all the gizmo's and doodad's on it, 3) The only thing I've ever been around really is Canon's, my dad has a Canon Powershot G-something, about 2-3 years old, a Canon hand-held video camera, I forget the name, and a Canon XH-A1 HD video camera. And this past Christmas, he got me a Canon Powershot A720 IS. Canons, Canons, everywhere!!!

And I know I'm gonna get the whole, "It's all about the lense" thing, and I realize that, but in terms of the camera itself, right out of the box, which one should I go for?
I went through this same dilemna last year and for one reason or the other ended up with the D40. I know the input you are looking for and I will echo what some others have said: Get either of these cameras and you will absolutely NOT regret it. I hear people pick and poke and gripe that one has this and the other has that. But I can tell you either camera will render great photos. You can take great photos with just about any good camera. The D40 is now selling for under $500 and would make a good choice. So would the Canon.

Whatever you get, educate yourself and work on technique and the basics. Neither camera will let you down.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ x2..

choosing a camera should not be stressful than anything else in photography, play with the camera and choose the one you are comfortable using.. the choices you are looking at are good and about the same so cant go wrong with any of them

Quick Reply: Canon Rebel XT vs Nikon D40