Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Career Advice Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticac
RodC. That's a great suggestion. I knew Boeing has an office around the Seal Beach area. I'll stop by their careers page and check current openings!
I highly recommend you do that, and don't be discouraged when you don't get hired right away. I applied for about 40 different Boeing positions, in addition to 40-50 positions at Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Raytheon. I received at least 30 Boeing rejections before I finally got a phonecall. Just don't give up. Be extremely persistent and push your resume for every position, even the ones that are not exactly in your line of work.

I got a phonecall in early June 2008 about a position which I applied for 2 months earlier. They set up a telephone interview with me for a few days later. After the telephone interview, they flew me up to Seattle for a series of in-person interviews. By the time I arrived back in L.A., I got the phonecall that I had been hired and was to start immediately. The initial call happened at the start of June and I was working for them by June 20th. They move fast.

But yeah, it's funny you should mention Seal Beach. I am stationed at the Seal Beach office. Boeing also has offices in Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Cypress, Anaheim, El Segundo, and more.

I can help you out with information and assistance with the application and hiring process if you want. I recommend that you start with their careers page and setup an account. Take the time to create a strong resume and a nice cover letter. Once you are all setup, just add a lot of positions to your "cart" and hit the apply button. It doesn't hurt to overdo it. Afterall, different HR officers will be reviewing applications for each position, so no one will know that you are applying for 40 different jobs. Just don't give up until they hire you. The pay and benefits are excellent.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for the clarification Rod! That's one thing I was concerned about: applying to many positions at the same company. You put me at ease though once you mentioned that different HR officers review for different positions. I'll create a profile on their site tomorrow and get my materials up there. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How was your GPA? Boeing likes high GPAs, and the same goes for the other aerospace and defense giants. I also cannot comment on the prospects for your particular major, since I graduated with an IT degree and went into IT.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I graduated with a GPA of 3.01. My GPA for courses in my major only was 3.2
Old 08-30-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eh, a bunch of the Boeing positions I applied for were 3.8 or higher, but it's all good.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ehh yea, that could be a problem.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Just a suggestion but experiance is key in the field your looking at and you're young. Don't look down on positions that start lower than what you are seeking. Where I work, (a major car company) it's almost impossible to start where you really want, like the marketing dpmt. You need to start lower, yes with less pay, and get your name out within the company. Net work with the managers. Work on special projects. Etc.

Maybe I missed this but also it doesnt hurt to talk to an agency like Apple One, Aerotek. Companies contact them to help find the "perfect" employee and most of the time it's free for you.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do ****!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tC4me
Just a suggestion but experiance is key in the field your looking at and you're young. Don't look down on positions that start lower than what you are seeking. Where I work, (a major car company) it's almost impossible to start where you really want, like the marketing dpmt. You need to start lower, yes with less pay, and get your name out within the company. Net work with the managers. Work on special projects. Etc.

Maybe I missed this but also it doesnt hurt to talk to an agency like Apple One, Aerotek. Companies contact them to help find the "perfect" employee and most of the time it's free for you.
I've heard of Apple One and Aerotek. Usually when I see their ads on Monster, i just think of them as spam. I'll stop by their site and see if I can talk to somebody that works their about keeping me on file.

Originally Posted by tCeeder
do ****!
I wouldn't fit on camera
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just wanted to post an update. I have an interview with Genworth Financial as an eMarketing Team Leader in Richmond, VA. It's a relief to know that my resume was actually being viewed and that some people are interested in speaking to me..haha.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ That's awesome
Good luck!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck man.....

i know how you feel about that....im trying to make my dreams come true too...and when your so close you get a funny feeling and cant believe that something that you have be looking forward to for so long is actually happening....
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SW_08
good luck man.....

i know how you feel about that....im trying to make my dreams come true too...and when your so close you get a funny feeling and cant believe that something that you have be looking forward to for so long is actually happening....
very true. Feel free to share your experiences if you'd like!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i always wanted to become a cop and i remember that 3 yrs in a row when i was little for halloween i dressed up as a cop....i have pictures hahahaha.....but i have a physical exam coming up this weekend and i have to run like 1.5 miles and 300 meters and a hole lot of other stuff and its like im so close to my dream i can almost reach out and grab it
Old 09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You're going to do great man. Keep that end goal in sight and prepare for the physical exam in any way you can. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man i really appericate that...good luck on your dreams too man....
Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it took me a few months to find a job after graduating. i was really getting stressed out because my savings was getting a little thin and payments just kept getting higher.
i was reaching high trying to get a $40k+ job off the bat but it was going no where so i took the 1st job that was offered to me. it was working for a bank in their mainframe/server room. it was fun for a bit but then it got too repetitive for me. i have a comp sci degree and a minor in business and my most of my co-workers didnt have a degree but they have been working for the bank for at least a decade or two.
They knew i wanted to move up and they were impressed at how fast i learned things so they all put in good words for me. about 6 months after i was hired i was hired in a different dept. i am now a programmer for the bank and my paycheck doubled just like that. there were actually 2 or 3 depts wanting me to go work for them which was really nice to be wanted like that.
you just have to get your foot in the door and get yourself known. since your are going cross country it will be hard financially but just find something that pays for your living expenses. on my student loans, i went with a graduated payment plan because i have so many other bills right now but payment years 9 and 10 will have a monthly payment of $600. But i plan on having my loans paid off way before that.
good luck dude
Old 09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionce
SL Member

Screw the 9-5 and work 24 hours and have 48 off.

Hug a Firefighter!

Greatest Career Choice....evah!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well if he goes to cali and becomes a firefighter, he is going to work his ___ off with all of those wildfires every year.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SATownScion
well if he goes to cali and becomes a firefighter, he is going to work his butt off with all of those wildfires every year.
Thanks for sharing your story. Right now, my undergrad student loans are near 130k. I received almost NO financial aid and RIT doesn't give very much grant money. Its sickening every time I think about how much my monthly student loan bill will be.

Quick Reply: Career Advice Needed!