Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Is this cd storage case decent quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is this cd storage case decent quality?

My cd collection is pretty large and about to get even bigger soon. Since I live in a tiny apartment, I've been storing all my cd cases and junk in my mother's basement and she seems to be getting a bit annoyed by it. So I've been looking at this case and was curious if anyone else has it or another model of the same company (ie smaller capacity). I want to know how sturdy it is and how well things fit, quality of handles and locks, if tipped over do the cds stay put, etc. It seems pretty good but unless I see it in person or hear people's reviews on it I'm rather leery (people that I can actually converse with...). The one in this link is out of stock but I've found some on ebay (from meritline and tek-xpress, which is funny that the meritline website doesn't have any but the ebay account does... >.< ) that look identical to it. I'll have to get at least two of them to hold all my discs so it's gonna cost a few bucks. Just want to make sure I get my money's worth. Microcenter has a smaller version of this but it takes a while to drive there and I've been pretty busy lately (not to mention the ____ty weather here in chi-town). The ebay stores also seem to list the 900 capacity cases (dimension wise) as 1000 capacity cases. On ebay the 1200 capacity cases dimensions arent' even listed on meritline.com, which makes me very leery. Just trying to find out who is lying here, if anyone.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the lack of responses I'm assuming no one has the case or no one really gives a rats ___... Anywhoo I had to pick up a computer case from microcenter today anyways so I took a look at the smaller version. The whole thing isn't metal. The edges of the frame are aluminum and the paneling is plastic that is painted to look like aluminum. Panels seem cheap but the frame seems pretty sturdy. Locks are kind of lopsided when loose but seem to grip ok when clamped shut. No foam on the inside, just a layer of felt material on top of most likely a cardboard basing on top of the paneling and aluminum frame. Handles seem like the cheap ___ stuff they put on luggage. The hinge is made of two metal plates and a square metal "ring." Seems pretty sturdy as long as you don't open the case beyond it's bindings or the rings might warp. The rungs are also sturdy aluminum like the frame. Seems like if the case got jacked and took a tumble it'd be relatively fine. But if it got speared by something I'm pretty certain you can say goodbye to anything fragile inside. Not sure it's worth the money, but it's better than any other containers I've seen so far. (mostly fiberboard and that plastic cardboard stuff) :-\
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't even know what case you are talking about. You said "the one in the link" yet there is no link.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o.O
theres three links in the original post.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Is this cd storage case decent quality?

you godda like those hidden links...

http://tinyurl.com/2wqxt2

http://tinyurl.com/3bgly7

http://www.meritline.com/1050-aluminium-case-079.html
Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

As long as you don't want to keep the cases and put all of the CDs in sleeves then I say go for it. If you are like me, then you really don't want to get rid of the cases, nor the original CD cover artwork.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But for most of them I can just take all the liner stuff out and stick it in the second pocket of the sleeves. I have a few cases that are cardboard and non-jewelcase-plastic that I can't. So those I'd just be plopping in. The 900 (or 1000 depending on what site you go to) capacity cases each list being able to hold 165 jewel cases and I have about 350 albums (~250-300 of which still have jewel cases intact). I bought two of these from meritline (since shipping was free and therefore actually cheaper than on ebay). So ideally I should be able to fit all my stuff in there without removing jewel cases just yet. ...yet. But when the time comes I can do so. I just hope these things hold up. I was contemplating removing the crappy handles and putting on some ammo crate style handles, but I'll come to that when I need to.