Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Cheapest tv and internet service package?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cheapest tv and internet service package?

So I currently live in an area where I have no choice but to get all my services from different companies, but I am about to move into a more urban area where all the major services are available from a wide range of companies.

I am looking to get tv service and high-speed internet service as a bundle, but I do not require phone service. Names which come to mind are AT&T, Time Warner, Comcast, etc, but I want to ask for opinions first. Who will give me the best deal on a tv and net service bundle?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Comcast...right now i'm paying 80 bux for cable tv with On-Demand and the fastest internet they have available. its a bundle, but you save a lot
Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also noticed that Comcast has good prices, but I have ruled them out because of their absurd bandwidth policies. I work from home at least 2 or 3 days a week via a constantly-active VPN to the Boeing network which is really heavy on bandwidth. I can't take the risk of Comcast throttling me back when I'm working.

I was looking at TWC as an alternative. It would be a few bucks more, but without the restrictive policies. Unfortunately, I hear their customer service is terrible.

Hmmm...
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I just got the new At&t U-Verse
i get internet (6.0mbps download, 3.0 Mbps Upload its teh Elite tier) and TV with DVR and HBO (its the U200 package + HBO) and its liek 120 a month
i upgraded the internet to teh 2nd highest (Max being at 10 Mbps download adn same upload) they have lower packages as well (for cheaper of course)
it also comes w/ a free wireless router
(all tiers i think)
and teh TV can be lowered to U-100 but that seriously comes with nothing
and there is no contract w/ U-Verse
Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm currently a Time Warner sufferer, but when I get the time I plan on ditching them and saving about $60 a month.

The cheapest combo I've come up with, and it's not a package, is going with Satellite TV for about $30-$50 depending on your package, and then going with naked DSL for $24.

To quote:
Over the past month, AT&T has quietly started to offer reasonably priced unbundled "naked" DSL Internet service to customers around the country. The company's website makes no mention of the service, nor do its Internet phone sales representatives offer or even discuss the service. Customers wishing to sign up will need to call a specific department at AT&T to request the secret plan. Two tiers are offered, a 3Mbit down/1.5 Mbit up plan for $28.99 per month, and a 1.5Mbit down/768k up for $23.99. Those who opt for the stand-alone DSL service will be able to avoid paying the myriad of mandatory fees associated with a phone line.
You can read the story here.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am from NJ, i got Comcast, it is a freaking rip off. $100 a month for basic cable and high speed internet.

Unless your job require you to transfer large amount of data. You shouldn't hit Comcast's 250 gigabytes per month limit.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont go with Time Warner. weak service, recycled equipment, customer service is pretty bad too. Verizon is really good, havent seen u verse yet but i have heard good things.

also time warner is about to lose nbc access in my area unless they pay a fee, which of course will come straight from the customers. initiation fees, activation fees, franchise fees, we have called and coplained and they give us the run around.

you know i think this thread just convinced me to switch providers
(sorry about the rant)