Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Circuit City Causes Over 12K in Damages to a 8gen Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Default Circuit City Causes Over 12K in Damages to a 8gen Civic

Hey guys I've been gone a good while but I thought I'd return with a warning to those who may have work done on your car at big chain stores like Circuit City.

http://consumerist.com/373753/
-watch the video of the owner describing the damage

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/garag...tallation.html
-and here are some itemized bills showing 6k in required replacement parts.

-adam
Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! Just wow! Why did they not just use adapter harnesses instead of hacking into the wiring.

I hope his car gets fixed properly.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

never ever bring your car to place like that
Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah, some technicians are just like highschool kids that learn by watching.. should take it to a real audio installer
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes me feel smarter than those monkey working there. LOL
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The funniest part is that we had a show in that same Circuit City parking lot on Saturday!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly, if you read through ALL the pages (very time consuming), it sounds more like the kid regretted his agreement to ALLOW them to cut the heating duct, (he did sign a waiver) because he didnt' want to wait around for them to order the harness, later regretted his decision and is looking for a cop-out or someone to blame.

Even though it takes time, it's best to read everything before forming an opinion. While CC may have made some errors, it seems more like a bad judgement part on the OP's part, and looking for someone to blame.

I did talk to one of the guys that does NOT currently work for that CC, but was there/worked on his car, and honestly... his account seems much more reasonable than what the OP posted
Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^^thank you for clearing that up fallen, I must have missed the part where he did sign that waiver (as you mentioned a very time consuming thing). In either case it seems both sides have some fault and should be accountable for some of the repairs.

I too know a couple people that work at a circuit city and while they do pretty good work (they've done some small things for me) I still would not take a chance on taking it there.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this guy made a bigger deal about his car than it really was. I bet some of the " other" stuff is form normal wear and tear on teh car and he said they did that too. What a tool. Shoulda waited for the right parts to be released or at least ordered the NAV dash piece from Honda. geez....
Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, I ended up reading the whole thing too.

Even though he signed a waiver, it was in CC's bad judgment to go through with the install. Sadly, I doubt dude's argument will hold up now. The shoddy install could be actionable, but he did agree to it.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been to circuit city and got a head unit installed in my GF's truck. it said free installation so i thought why not.

They charged me for some "harness" which it already had an aftermarket HU so IDK why. They hooked it up halfassed and when i added subs and speakers couple days later there wasnt even a new harness in there. It ____ed me off so much i wanted to go back and _____. I just sucked it up and decided never to let anyone work on my stuff again.

last time i ever go there.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to use them anyway so that i could warranty my work and parts. If I am gonna touch it, then sometimes I'll use the new parts, tho not all the time. I guess it depends, but in no way was I being shady...but I didn't work on some cars...cough...mercedes...cough....cuz they were just a pain. But then again, I quit installing cuz the company pushed me so hard to work and rushed my jobs., I began making critical mistakes. I admit it. they created an unsafe environment for me. even if I tried to back off the install times they wanted me to adhere to, the customer would complain and I'd be in trouble. so yeah, I put a screwthru the roof of a car and drilled a gas tank( not officially my fault tho) and a few other things. I just walked away. i never made mistakes like that in my 10 year career until they started puttin on the pressure. then again, had i not left, then I would have been fired for making too much money if all the other things didn't happen.

And CC won't talk to that guy cuz it's in the hands of the insurance companies now. there is no reason for them to talk to the owner of the car.

but anyway, CC has to fix their problems with the services they offer. It used to be the THE place to go. but the economy has taken it's toll on the company. too bad.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That sux..... lol
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigMURR
^^^thank you for clearing that up fallen, I must have missed the part where he did sign that waiver (as you mentioned a very time consuming thing). In either case it seems both sides have some fault and should be accountable for some of the repairs.

I too know a couple people that work at a circuit city and while they do pretty good work (they've done some small things for me) I still would not take a chance on taking it there.
I went to bed and the thread was 44 or 45 pages, I checked it today and it's 25. I'm not re-reading it, but I'm guessing a lot of the "important" info is probably missing.

There were TWO people that posted (that I counted) that worked on the car, with the guy I talked to not working there anymore. This is how he explained it to me as to how the situation went down:

Guy brings in car. Guy wants the nav unit installed NOW. The install peoples at CC said they did not have the harness in stock (citing it's a new harness from Honda that year, which is true, and it was summertime.) Customer doesn't want to wait 3-5 days for the harness and wants it installed now, authorizes CC to hardwire it.

CC installs nav system, but due to all the accessories the nav system sticks out further in the dash than the customer wants it to. CC tells him the only way it can be set back farther is to cut into the heating duct, and the manager has the customer sign off on the authorized cutting on the work order. Customer leaves happy at the moment, only getting in touch with CC months later to complain.

That's the short version of what I was told. Honestly, it sounds more realistic to me that THAT is the way it happened to begin with.

If you brought your new tC into an install shop, any install shop, and your windshield/sunroof glass was scratched, interior panels scratched up, etc... would YOU wait 9, NINE months and 15,000 miles to get an estimate of the problem? Or would you have either 1) not left the CC store without filing a complaint or 2) came back first thing in the morning to document the damage? If there was that much damage to my car there's no way on God's green earth I would have waited that long to post/take action on it.

What worries me, is that this story is LITERALLY EVERYWHERE on the internet, with every article bashing CC, and no one is even stopping to think about all this and jumping on the bashing bandwagon. Sounds to me someone made a quick decision they later regretted for whatever reason and was looking for someone to blame. It's also possible he knows someone at the Honda dealership who is aiding him trying to cash in on the situation, OR the dealership was asked by him to say "how much to get this completely stock again?" and they came up with that outrageous estimate.

Note (if it's still there) how he kept saying in his posts "I was just shocked I was allowed to drive my car for 15,000 miles while potentially putting my passenger's lives at risk. That's my only worry, that my passengers were at risk".

Come on, if you know ANYTHING about cars at all, the ACTUAL risk of a fire was pretty slim... that's what fuses are for. Panicking that much over the situation, which is PROBABLY exaggerated. And him repeatedly mentioning he had things coming in he ordered for his car and had "nothing to put them on". Sorry, but the whole situation just reeks of fishiness to me. None of it seems to add up at all, especially considering all this supposed "damage" to windows/interior panels in which he has NO pictures of? If that was my car I'd be documenting EVERYTHING.

Now if he is being truthful was was truly wronged in this manner, I hope he gets everything straightened out, but the situation to me just seems incredibly fishy. And if he is trying to scam CC, I hope he gets nailed for insurance fraud (since he is making an insurance claim) and some sort of apology is made to CC. I wouldn't take my car there for an install by choice, but I'm sure there are plenty of competant installers, as well as imcompetant ones.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^ amen..... ^^
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
I went to bed and the thread was 44 or 45 pages, I checked it today and it's 25. I'm not re-reading it, but I'm guessing a lot of the "important" info is probably missing.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe they actually clean up the off-topic crap over there? Like this post. lol.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
The funniest part is that we had a show in that same Circuit City parking lot on Saturday!
haha yep
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i always do all my audio work. it may not be class 1 tip-top, but i know what im doing and i get the job done. and if anything goes wrong, I now what to look for.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sorry, but I got really tired of customers coming with that " I wnat it in right now!" attitude. SO That's why my argument stands. I've been there done that already. guy is a toolbag
Old 04-03-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, the more I read about it, the more I side with the installers.

Sometimes 'the customer is always right' will bite you right in the azz.

Quick Reply: Circuit City Causes Over 12K in Damages to a 8gen Civic