Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Computer Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Computer Problem..

My brother clicked on an IM today from someone saying like "hey check this out" and it was some virus..I treid restarting the comp..turning it back on and some blue screen comes up right before it opens to the choose your user name...saying fatal error..and some other stuff...

i also got in with safe mode and ran some virus program..and deleted all of them..but that didnt work either..

can anyone please help?

Kishan P.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you got the blue screen of death keep it in safe mode till someone that knows what to do helos
Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rofl, BSOD.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

is there anyway to get rid of it? and rofl? post if ur willing to help bud
Old 10-22-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which virus program did you run? Try doing as many as possible...try doing adaware or something like that too
Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KickAssKishan
is there anyway to get rid of it? and rofl? post if ur willing to help bud
I'm sorry, I find the failure of people to be quite hilarious. Failure of people and the failure of there technology.

Therefore...

Anyway... If whoever created the virus has someone what of a brain... You won't be able to find or delete the virus through Virus scanning. Reformat or take it to a tech shop and see what they can do. But if, whoever made it, is good, then your SOL.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

im using adaware..

and i stll get it but w/e silegent
Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scans wont work if the computer is already infected. works sometimes but if its a "good" virus then it wont.

you need a second computer with a decent (usually not the free ones) anti virus program.
first you need to take the infected harddrive out and then connect it to the secondary computer and run the virus scan.

reformating also works but you'll lose all of your current info on that harddrive.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not if you back it up...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true. make sure you dont back up the virus
Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol when ur virus protection detects something make sure u remember the name of the virus and once u have removed it with ur virus protection software , then google the virus name and u should beable to find a link telling u the process of how to remove it. coz most of the time a virus will attach itself to other folders still infecting ur computer.....norton , mcaffee , or whatever u are using doesnt fully remove viruses.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your going to have to run HJT and post the log on www.ccleaner.com . If you don't know what HJT is just go to the CCleaner forums, they'll help you.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats crazy an aim virus killed your computer. i have a link that gets rid of aim viruses that passes it out to other people using your sn but i doubt that would help
Old 10-24-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you can at least get into safe mode, try using

1.) AVAST or AVG anti-virus. Both free.
2.) AD-Aware and Spybot. Both free.
3.) CCleaner....... free, but be careful about backing up your registry.
4.) You can go back to a restore point in XP.
5.) Boot from an XP CD and try repairing the OS.
6.) Remote chance, but try running Rootkit Revealer.
7.) Admit that you're out of your league, back up your import files and reformat. If your OS has been on there longer than 6-12 months, you'll be better off.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Mcafee AVERT Stinger is good for removing major recent viruses as well if u can get into safemode.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

First, what virus scanner are you running? Adaware is NOT a virus scanner. It is a spyware/adware locate/removal tool, and in most cases, not a very good one. You need to be running something along the lines of AVG, Norton/Symantec AntiVirus, McAfee, etc..
It is possible that you have removed the virus with your scan, but the damage to the OS itself may already be done. Try restoring a previous restore point within XP. To do this, go to Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. At the prompt, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time." This will not delete any files you may have DL'ed between the restore point and now, but it will remove any programs or OS damage that may have been done. Select the most recent restore point that is PRIOR to the AIM virus. It is possible that you will not have any previous restore points. Several viruses attack this utility and render it useless. For those of you who are reading this, if you do not have any restore points created, or you have not scheduled a regular task to create these restore points, then now is probably a good time to start. This utility does work pretty well providing that you give it good points to restore to.
If you cannot restore beyond this virus, then you may need to try a Windows XP repair from the original XP CD. Boot the computer to the CD and choose "Repair existing version of Windows" from the choices. If this doesn't work, (and I never had seen it work, myself!), then you can attempt reloading XP over the existing version without formatting the drive. All this will do is replace ALL the Windows XP system files with fresh ones from the CD. You will have to reload all your software after this is done. It should not affect your existing files, other than those specifically installed by Windows.
Worst Case Scenario, you may need to format and reload from scratch. This is not a bad idea, as it would most certainly remove any and all traces of the virus and its damage, but you will lose your data. You can attempt to back up your important data to another partition or removable device (if it's supported in safe mode), but I would be hesitant to touch that data without doing a full virus/malware scan of the data prior to use.
Try these and let us know how it turns out. If you can get any info on the name of the virus, I can probably help you get things back up and running and get it removed without a format/reload. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very good explanation,,,^

also take a look at kaspersky for their free scan....it pulled my butt out of hot water...
I was able to get online in safe mode and ran theirs...didn't initialize any programs, security or firewalls and gave total control over to the avg. proggy.took a while doing it that way but it worked.

my next stop is gonna be with a Red Hat me thinks
Old 10-31-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got that same AIM virus...LOL!!!!...I googled the name of the virus...Told me how to Get Rid of it...It was pretty easy!!...That was a longtime ago...so...That does suck!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search for AIMfix.exe on Google. That should work. Worked for me.

Tell your brother not to click on links!