Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Crap, I got a Socket stuck in the Spark Plug hole....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay im going to try taking off the valve cover now, will report back soon, ty all!

p.s. freezing it with nitrous didnt work, LOL
Old 07-20-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, so I took off the valve cover... but the damn thing is stuck in the HEAD...fukuckuafkduckukaoairftwaoiuh~!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now I've filled it up with JB Weld and hopefully when it dries i can pull it right out.

Hopefully the JB Weld doesn't make it worse >.<

How much does a new Head cost?

_____
Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont need a new head - you can tap it out with a screwdirver from the other side of the head when you take the head off - thats worse case. How the hell did you get this thing stuck anyways??
Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you used a socket and extension then there is an opening at the top of the socket. Use a sturdy hook pick, hook through the hole on the top of the socket and give it a sturdy pull in the upward direction.....proceed with the rest of the project with the correct sized extension.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

^Yep, what he just said, stick a pick in the socket, hold the pick with a set of pliers and pull up, if that does not work tap up with a hammer on the pliers, not down.

Use common sense, step back and relax and think good thoughts and it is gonna come right out.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I had the extender sitting in the socket overnight with JB Weld all around and inside it. I was able to wiggle it,
turn it in both directions with a ratchet, but no matter how hard i pulled up on it the damn thing didn't come out!!

The JB Weld bond eventually broke and now I'm back where I started.

I guess I gotta take it to the shop and try an impact gun on it.

shiiiiieeeett

_____
Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

May I suggest ( if the socket is not too shrouded in the hole ) a pilot bushing removal tool? The slide hammer type.
Just my 2¢
Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

so have you tried a locking extension? and a impact isnt going to do anything for you but spin the socket.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes ive tried locking extensions.. none are locking enough to get it out

ive also jb welded an extension to it and tried pulling with great force but still that didnt do the trick (even though the socket will rotate if i try turning it)

i think i need to get some kind of bushing puller and lock that into the socket and use a winch to pull it out while lubing it up too....

this is a NIGHTMARE
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can check on a slide hammer style dent puller, maybe the end will be small enough to get in the socket? Just throwing out ideas now.

Also, you tried loosening the spark plug all the way and removing the whole assembly (socket and plug)?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really pray they your threads in the head arent stripped from all this. If you havnt tried it yet I'd go to town with an impact hammer set on reverse. If the hex on the spark plug isnt rounded off too bad you might get lucky and spin it out with the socket attached. If the hex on the spark plug is rounded off from all the abuse, even if you get the socket off your going to probably have to pull the head to remove the plug. When you finally do get the plug out be sure to give the threads in the head a good inspection from crossthread damage / stripping ect before installing a new plug.

Another thing you can try to pull upward with pretty good force is use a long pick or bend the tip of a long flat head screwdriver 90 deg to make a lip that can grab the underside of the socket through the center hole. Then drill a hole in a piece of wood or metal pipe just big enough for the tip of the driver to go through but too small of the handle. Hook the screw driver into the socket and grap either side of the pipe/wood like you would handlebars and yank up HARD. The pipe/wood will travel up the shaft and hit the handle of the screwdriver and pull it up with a good ammount of force. You might need your Dad to hold the screw driver in place while you yank up.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scuds03
I really pray they your threads in the head aren't stripped from all this. If you havn't tried it yet I'd go to town with an impact hammer set on reverse. If the hex on the spark plug isn't rounded off too bad you might get lucky and spin it out with the socket attached. If the hex on the spark plug is rounded off from all the abuse, even if you get the socket off your going to probably have to pull the head to remove the plug. When you finally do get the plug out be sure to give the threads in the head a good inspection from cross thread damage / stripping ECT before installing a new plug. Another thing you can try to pull upward with pretty good force is use a long pick or bend the tip of a long flat head screwdriver 90 deg to make a lip that can grab the underside of the socket through the center hole. Then drill a hole in a piece of wood or metal pipe just big enough for the tip of the driver to go through but too small of the handle. Hook the screw driver into the socket and grab either side of the pipe/wood like you would handlebars and yank up HARD. The pipe/wood will travel up the shaft and hit the handle of the screwdriver and pull it up with a good amount of force. You might need your Dad to hold the screw driver in place while you yank up.
Thanks dude, we got it out by using two bent flat heads and A LOT of force along with alternating with a locking extension to rotate it just to the weakest position that would let us pull up on it. It was ridiculous how stuck it was in there.

After I pulled the plug, some metal shavings fell into the cylinder from the socket rubbing against the walls so tightly. I tried to get it out with a magnet but there was some still left in there. Is that bad?

Anyway.. the car started and runs normal now :D That'll teach me to ALWAYS use spark plug sockets when trying to remove a spark plug.

WOW

Thanks for all the help everyone

____
Old 07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Magnet wouldn't work on aluminum shavings - should use a vacuum cleaner and a piece of hose. And the rest of us want to know WHAT SIZE SOCKET did you stuff in there?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it was an 11/16 deep socket haha
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YEAHAaaa try a 5/8" next time LOL OH MAN that IS a tight fit . . . 1/16" larger and it gets stuck woweeewow.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Magnet wouldn't work on aluminum shavings - should use a vacuum cleaner and a piece of hose. And the rest of us want to know WHAT SIZE SOCKET did you stuff in there?
If the shavings are from the plug and or socket a magnet will get them. But next time I'd vaccume as well to be safe haha.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well hopefully the shavings have either melted in side the cylinder or passed out the valves,it will score up the cylinder walls pretty bad,pay attention for smoke from exhasut,that meens il is passing the rings now and that is never good.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would not get steel shavings only some aluminum from the socket ribbing on the valve cover gasket as the socket passed by it then probably got stuck on it. Probably som eof the weldbond too. It should just blow out the exhaust - the piston /cylinder wall gap is pretty tight and the plug hole is centered over the piston so it should sit on the piston and then fly right out the exhaust port when she starts up. It's more of a valve seat problem or CAT problem than a piston ring problem.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eh, its just aluminum. As long as it was tiny little shavings it shouldn't hurt anything in the combustion chamber. Glad you got the socket out, next time size it up on a sparkplug in hand
Old 05-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up