Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

cuss words...what ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cuss words...what ya think?

Have you guys ever thought about cuss words? what makes ppl hate em so much....like who said, well im gonna make a word called "f*ck" and it will be the worst and most hated word in the human language....?

its just letters put together, and they make some people like

and before it gets brought up, NO this is not pointed towards anyone, just something i got to thinkin about the other day when some old man asked me to watch my language at the gas station
Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

not sure but i've been cussin a lot more since coming to the states =/
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nsfw!!!

buts its still hella funny heck i might even get a warning for this one its well worth it to help spread the joy here!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHK5ajMQ_SU

btw its nsfw!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: cuss words...what ya think?

Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz
Have you guys ever thought about cuss words? what makes ppl hate em so much....like who said, well im gonna make a word called "f*ck" and it will be the worst and most hated word in the human language....?
Blame England. One of the myths behind the word, and the one that seems semi-believable, is that the King was regulating the population by granting only certain families to have children. The letters/decrees or whatever were headed with "F.U.C.K." which at the time meant Fornication Under Consent of King.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ever been so mad that you start cussing and end up combining cuss words to make new ones?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: cuss words...what ya think?

Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz

its just letters put together, and they make some people like

and before it gets brought up, NO this is not pointed towards anyone, just something i got to thinkin about the other day when some old man asked me to watch my language at the gas station
It is kinda weird when you think about it. Sometimes I wonder about the origin of certain cuss words. If there were no cuss words, what would people with Torrets Syndrome blurt out?
I do have to say that I hate hearing people cuss in public. Especially if there are women or children around. I mean, that's just common sense. If you wanna cuss like a drunk sailor around your buddies, fine. But if you're within earshot of other people, clean it up. It's not like your going to die if you can't drop the "F" bomb 5 times in every sentence.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are just words. They can be nouns, adjectives, verbs, and adverbs. I realize that the words have power simply because of how people react to them in such a negative way. I know many people are quite offended by them, and choose not to use them around lil old ladies until I get to know them at least ;) I also realize that it's highly unprofessional around customers, but pretty much expected around colleagues (strange huh?).

But I agree with you, I don't understand the hang ups people have over such things.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 13edge
Ever been so mad that you start cussing and end up combining cuss words to make new ones?

oh yeah
Old 09-14-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my question would be... why aren't they the same between similar languages? in england, a boy would get rapped on the head for saying buger. here, that word has almost no meaning. it's just one of those english embellishments we use. i dunno.... just thought this would be a pertinent question.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

working in the automotive industry side of things.. cuss words arent a very big deal.. its more expected to hear them then not too.. my boss, supervisor and everyone that buys parts from us, uses the words freely, so obviously i picked it up to.. the only people that dont like hearing it is my parents. its harder for me to not say them then it is..

the problem is people are just to sensitive and people always think your talking about them..

i also understand that the word F*ck came from the germanic languages.. means to strike or thrust or something.. (ficken or fokken)..
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard it was from zimbabwe. it's the name of some mating dance.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
my question would be... why aren't they the same between similar languages? in england, a boy would get rapped on the head for saying buger. here, that word has almost no meaning. it's just one of those english embellishments we use. i dunno.... just thought this would be a pertinent question.
Probably the same reason in England it's ok to bum a ___ from your mate, but nobody here would ask the same favor. People seperated by a common language.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
....the problem is people are just to sensitive and people always think your talking about them..
I suppose that could be true sometimes, but some people are just honestly offended by vulgar language. Look at it this way; most decent people (inbred rednecks aside) don't go around in public using the "N" word. Why not? Because it's offensive. And it's not only offensive to black folks. I don't know too many white people who use that word or who want to hear it in conversation. But for some reason, "regular" non-racial curse words seem to be fair game anymore. Not everyone wants to hear it.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see what I mean? either a language filter or a mod converted my word (meanie is there now).....which is a 3 letter word ryhming with "hag" that means one thing here and cigarettes over there.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
see what I mean? either a language filter or a mod converted my word (meanie is there now).....which is a 3 letter word ryhming with "hag" that means one thing here and cigarettes over there.
LOL...Yeah, I saw that. It did it to my post too. I had originally typed out the actual "N" word in my example, but it was edited to say "ignorant person".
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
....the problem is people are just to sensitive and people always think your talking about them..
I suppose that could be true sometimes, but some people are just honestly offended by vulgar language. Look at it this way; most decent people (inbred rednecks aside) don't go around in public using the "N" word. Why not? Because it's offensive. And it's not only offensive to black folks. I don't know too many white people who use that word or who want to hear it in conversation. But for some reason, "regular" non-racial curse words seem to be fair game anymore. Not everyone wants to hear it.
well there are words that are only vulgar to those they are intended for.. different races, religions, or genders.. but the common every day word like f*ck or sh*t is vulgar to everyone.. and its used to universally that it doesnt even matter.. besides since its directed towards everyone equally its totally fair game..
Old 09-15-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Word filter.

Easy way to get around it, when using the word in a way that isn't offensive is to type "f.ag" or "f a g".

And I do flinch when I hear British talking about f a g s. LOL
Old 09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The idea of "bad words" is entirely subjective...

its not the actual words that people decide to like or dislike, its the idea or scenario that word portrays or the memory it recals. And the truth is words are interpreted differently by each individual person. They are analyzed by the individuals different experiences and memories. So what might be considered a "bad word" to one person, might be common nomenclature to another.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hah the whole word f.a.g. is something i say all the time. Rarely do i say cigarettes anymore, i just say f.a.g.s. Its become fairly commonplace for us to say around my friends and family, and its to the point it doesnt even offend people. But people give me a stare on occasion when im in public. Some people just laugh and say "oh thats interesting". Others just get offended and i politely inform them that im not using the word in a dirty way at all, and it just has another meaning.

Its the same way with the word rape. I frequently use the word rape when i say "they were raped of their possessions" or "their team got raped the other day". I don not mean it in the sexual undertone so many people associate the word with.
i say these things all the time. Ive sort of made it my personal vendetta to change the lingo in my area haha. So far, ive gotten a ton of people to say it.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Now when you are talking about the N word do you mean N***er or N***a. Because apparently there is a difference. But who decided that F*** would be vulgar and would be in conjunction with sexual intercourse?

Quick Reply: cuss words...what ya think?