Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Death Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... god said "thou shalt not kill" and our gov is directly breaking that law. I just don't get how or why you are trying so hard to argue for something god told you not to do.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
There is also another section (don't remember chapter & verse) where Jesus says all leaders and governments (good or bad) are in place by the will of God as part of his plan.
so god put saddam there, and put bush were he is? So it seems Bush has god on his side, and that makes the war ok, because Bush believes it so?

(btw, do you believe god put hitler in power to kill all those jews?)

In other words, we are to obey the laws set in place by our government unless they directly contradict God's word.
the bible says nothing specifically about abortion, so if abortion is legal according to the leaders god has put into place, than god supports abortion? if you want to stretch thou shalt not kill to abortions, than isn't anyone else's stretch of the bible teachings ok?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by citizen01
I use the bible to show the hypocracy in christians not to make any point of my own.
You just got done saying how happy you are that we can discuss these topics without name calling, and now you call Christians hypocites.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bible specificially says do not murder. How is abortion not the same as murder. As soon as 6 weeks into a pregnancy there are brain waves that can be detected, in a few more weeks, there is a heart beat. Thats life.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why??? Why did I have to look...now I'm sucked back in!!!!

Dave, actually the Bible does allude to the life of the unborn. It's not really a stretch. The Bible says God loves the people. The Bible also says that the body is just a vessel for the human soul. So the soul was there before birth, before the fetal stage, before conception. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5 That to mean says that God put value in your life before you were even conceived so to kill someone in the womb is still killing something God values.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa, whoa... that is not what I meant at all.
I meant the people on this thread saying "capitol punishment is a-ok" when thier own religion says something different.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... god said "thou shalt not kill" and our gov is directly breaking that law. I just don't get how or why you are trying so hard to argue for something god told you not to do.
The original Hebrew text is closer to Thou shalt not murder". Murder is taking an innocent life. Capital punishment is ending the life of a guilty, convited criminal.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oh yeah, we're going to find definitive answers to ancient philosophical, religious, moral, ethical, and social problems here on scionlife. NOT!

Death Penalty - yes- because some people NEED kill'n

The big diety in charge of it all told us not to kill - well, sure - right up to the point where he / she / it tells us we got to go out and smite the unbelievers because they're WRONG. Evil, naughty, and wrong. And then it's ok to kill folks. That whole "not killing" thing only applies to the people who agree with you at any given instance. WHEEEE! Situational ethics!!!! WOOT!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I still don't get why we are hung up that one line when other texts in the bible supercedes that verse.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

etli... I don't think anyone thinks they are going to find such answers on SL. And even if there were the dam noobs would just ask over and over till it was a sticky.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What!!!??? Tell me what text supercedes God's direct laws from his own mouth. PLEEEEAAASE tell me.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SecretAgentMonkey

Dave, actually the Bible does allude to abortion. It's not really a stretch. The Bible says God loves the people. The Bible also says that the body is just a vessel for the human soul. So the soul was there before birth, before the fetal stage, before conception. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5 That to mean says that God put value in your life before you were even conceived so to kill someone in the womb is still killing something God values.
allude...there are many things the bible alludes to, but "says" is something different.

the bible says pre-martial sex is a sin, right?
and the bible, says marriage is between a man and a woman.
so all ___ people, no matter what, live and die in sin, right?

ubt i doubt every christian here believes every ___ person isn't really a christian and will burn in hell, right?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you think Christians should never be for punishment? The Bible says turn the other cheek...doesn't specify capital punishment, just when someone wrongs you. I think what Jesus said was to not take personal vengeance, which does not apply to government. If it did, Christians would have to be for the dismantling of the entire justice system.

A Christian being for punishment (even the capital kind) is not about vengeance.

I'll look for the capital punishment part in the Bible when I get time.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dave, I'm not going to pretend to understand God's plan for humanity. Bad things do happen for many, many different reasons. Often times I can clearly see how God uses those things for good. Othertimes, I don't see it at all. But just because I don't see it, doesn't mean that it's not there. That verse about all leaders (good and bad) being in place according to God's will, does NOT mean that all of them are good leaders. Some are pure evil. Only God truly knows what's in a man's heart and the motives for what he does.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^If you can find a verse regarding capitol punishment in the bible it would be very helpful to this conversation. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dave, I'm not going to pretend to understand God's plan for humanity. Bad things do happen for many, many different reasons. Often times I can clearly see how God uses those things for good. Othertimes, I don't see it at all. But just because I don't see it, doesn't mean that it's not there. That verse about all leaders (good and bad) being in place according to God's will, does NOT mean that all of them are good leaders. Some are pure evil. Only God truly knows what's in a man's heart and the motives for what he does.
according to the logic that god puts all those leaders in their places means it doesn't matter who's good or evil. They are there serving god's purpose. Hitler apparently served god's will killing all those people according to the bible, which seems to also be your logic. so did saddam. so did stalin it seems.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave

Dave, actually the Bible does allude to abortion. It's not really a stretch. The Bible says God loves the people. The Bible also says that the body is just a vessel for the human soul. So the soul was there before birth, before the fetal stage, before conception. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5 That to mean says that God put value in your life before you were even conceived so to kill someone in the womb is still killing something God values.
allude...there are many things the bible alludes to, but "says" is something different.

the bible says pre-martial sex is a sin, right?
and the bible, says marriage is between a man and a woman.
so all ___ people, no matter what, live and die in sin, right?

ubt i doubt every christian here believes every ___ person isn't really a christian and will burn in hell, right?
The reason the Bible doesn't specifically say "abortion is wrong" is because it wasn't common (almost non-existent) at the time. So there was no frame of reference.

God says, "I know you before you were conceived" and you say "HA! You didn't say I can't have an abortion! Got you!!" ...doesn't quite work for me.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
according to the logic that god puts all those leaders in their places means it doesn't matter who's good or evil. They are there serving god's purpose. Hitler apparently served god's will killing all those people according to the bible, which seems to also be your logic. so did saddam. so did stalin it seems.
Just because a leader is in place according to God's will doesn't mean that everything he does while in power is OK. Obviously, a sin is a sin. They can choose to do good or bad. God has given us free will. If a leader does good, I believe he and his country can be blessed by God. But if a leader does wrong, he will answer for it.
Like I said, I'm not going to claim to understand it all.
Isiah 55:8-9
8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interestingly enough, those opposed to capital punishment seem to be the ones who don't quite agree with the Bible while the Christians generally support the concept.

The anit-capital punishment crowd call us out on it because they know the "soundbites" of the Bible but don't go any farther. "Thou shalt not kill" and "turn the other cheek". But what about the rest of the Bible?

To answer Dave's question about Hitler, read Romans 13: 1-7.
And for the topic of punishment see verse 4:
"For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

"he" is the government. If you do wrong, be afraid of your government because "he" is a servant of God and an agent of wrath. We are commanded to be without malice or vengeance, that is the place of the governing authority. God established capital punishment in the old testament and the new testament agrees with that, when it's done by the government...not individual people. If you or I did it, then it would be murder.

Just like Matt, I don't claim to understand what God's motives are. I just read His word and do what I can to adhere to it.

I'm not saying "you have to believe this because it's in the Bible". But people like Dave and Citizen brought up Christianity and how Christians justify their beliefs you think are contradictory to the book we claim to follow. All I can say is, there's more to the Bible than the soundbites everyone repeats to expose the "hypocrisies" of Christians.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interestingly enough, those opposed to capital punishment seem to be the ones who don't quite agree with the Bible while the Christians generally support the concept.

The anit-capital punishment crowd call us out on it because they know the "soundbites" of the Bible but don't go any farther. "Thou shalt not kill" and "turn the other cheek". But what about the rest of the Bible?

To answer Dave's question about Hitler, read Romans 13: 1-7.
And for the topic of punishment see verse 4:
"For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

"he" is the government. If you do wrong, be afraid of your government because "he" is a servant of God and an agent of wrath. We are commanded to be without malice or vengeance, that is the place of the governing authority. God established capital punishment in the old testament and the new testament agrees with that, when it's done by the government...not individual people. If you or I did it, then it would be murder.

Just like Matt, I don't claim to understand what God's motives are. I just read His word and do what I can to adhere to it.

I'm not saying "you have to believe this because it's in the Bible". But people like Dave and Citizen brought up Christianity and how Christians justify their beliefs you think are contradictory to the book we claim to follow. All I can say is, there's more to the Bible than the soundbites everyone repeats to expose the "hypocrisies" of Christians.
Well said.

Quick Reply: Death Penalty