Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Death Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're the one that said it's not in there because it practically didn't exist (a point I'm not so sure about), I'm just punching holes in that notion.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by citizen01
By the way... If it is closer to "murder" and not "kill" then why is it "kill" in our english texts? Hmmm...
Actually, the original King James version is the only major version I know of that uses "kill". Pretty much all the others use "murder", including the New King James version.

*update*
The ASV also uses "kill". That makes it about 11 to 2 or something so far.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scionofpcfl, I don't know who that was directed to.

By the way... what about attempted murder, if blood is shed the bible mandates that person be put to death. What do you christians think?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dCvingtC
We are making them suffer...yes. But if they are going to sit there until they die, then just get rid of them.
But that's an easy way out for them. If I had killed someone and was in prison I'd rather them kill me than spend the rest of my life in prison.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scionofpcfl, I don't know who that was directed to.

By the way... what about attempted murder, if blood is shed the bible mandates that person be put to death. What do you christians think?
Well, notice how they didn't say "Whoever sheds the blood of man shall be put to death."
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way... If it is closer to "murder" and not "kill" then why is it "kill" in our english texts? Hmmm...
I'm not sure. Maybe because the translation of the word is "kill", but the implied meaning of the hebrew word was closer to "murder", or taking innocent life. The phrasing, "Thou shalt not kill" is from the King James translation which is something like 16th century english. Many newer translations of the original Hebrew text phrase that as "You shall not murder".
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you think that if someone attempts to kill someone an attempt on their life should be made? Eye for an eye? I thought we established that jesus abolished that notion...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If someone breaks in to my house (on his feet or his knees ), he will be killed whether he kills someone or not.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is self defense. I think it is acceptable.

Just try not to kill the guy. Shoot him in the leg (or between the legs)....that will make him suffer until authorities get there!

~Stephanie

~Stephanie
Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, on my driveway i have a trail of money leading into my house with the front door open and i sit night after night in the darkness with my shotgun ready, waiting...wanting to "defend" my home.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
Personally, on my driveway i have a trail of money leading into my house with the front door open and i sit night after night in the darkness with my shotgun ready, waiting...wanting to "defend" my home.
LOL..you ain't right.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but how do those normally turn out. If someone is trying to break into your house and you shoot them it is your word against the word of a dead person. Do you just tell the cops "he was breaking in" and they haul the body away and say "well done"? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think that if in court you plead innocent, and that you did it in "self defense" then you might be able to get away with it. But it all depends on each situation and each lawer. I know these two people that were in a car, male driving, woman in the passanger seat, and they got in an accident, and the man died, and the woman was badly injured, and the woman's family had pictures of the man getting in the drivers seat, and when it came to court day, the family of the dead guy said that she was driving, and she killed him. She got locked up for two years. So it all depends.

~Stephanie
Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but how do those normally turn out. If someone is trying to break into your house and you shoot them it is your word against the word of a dead person. Do you just tell the cops "he was breaking in" and they haul the body away and say "well done"? Anyone have experience with this?
I'm not 100% sure either, but in most states the homeowner needs to feel his or her life was threatened before deadly force is justified. If you and a burgler bump into each other in the hallway and you shoot him in the back as he tries to run out of the house, you're probably going to be in trouble. If they are coming at you, blast away.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like to point out this comment:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMonkey
Interestingly enough, those opposed to capital punishment seem to be the ones who don't quite agree with the Bible while the Christians generally support the concept.

The anit-capital punishment crowd call us out on it because they know the "soundbites" of the Bible but don't go any farther. "Thou shalt not kill" and "turn the other cheek". But what about the rest of the Bible?
my buddy citizen01 is more apposed to the death penalty than i think anyone here.

me on the other hand, am the polar opposite, and think it should be extended to repeat child molestors, and people who commit treason like bussing over illegals to help destroy our economy(ok, maybe that's too far).

but we're both atheists and that's fine, because we don't subscribe to the same archaic book that dictate what we should and shouldn't do.

christians on the other hand, all subscribe to the same book that do dictate this very thing, yet some of you "christians" don't follow it, and some of you do.(but which is which?)
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they are outside your house, trying to break in, and you shoot them: murder

If they are outside your house, trying to steal your car, or break into a garage that isn't connected to the house and you shoot them: murder

If they are outside of your home, with the door open, about to step through and you shoot them: murder

They have to be in the house, and you cannot shoot them in the back for it to be declared justifiable. And don't even think of shooting to wound, then there are two stories, and courts tend to favor the guy that was shot.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you think I can have a trail of money leading into my house with the front door open and shoot them once they walk into my house?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would have to worry about some da saying it was premeditated I guess.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to send that suggestion to mythbusters.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think Mythbusters is going to investigate that one. It would make interesting tv though.

Quick Reply: Death Penalty