Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Death Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BigMURR
Originally Posted by citizen01
No one answered my question: Do people who support Pro-Choice also support the Capital Punishment? It's driving my made I mean it seams you would have to.
I define murder as taking someone's life against their will. That is the difference between capitol punishment and abortion. An unborn child has no vested interest in living much like a coma patient we might pull the plug on.
That rational seems flawed as every living being has a natural "vested interest" in living. In psychology their observations have concluded a long time ago that even babies have a pre-wired desire to feed and sleep which is a "vested interest" in living. Again there has to be some other rational that differentiates the two.
-I am against capital punishment 100%. No if's, ands, or buts.

- I am pro-choice, and would be ok with a GF/Wife having an abortion. Until the fetus shows all signs of a living creature, i am alright with an abortion being done. Late term abortions im against unless there is a direct threat to the mothers life.

Make abortions illegal, and they will just be done more unsafely, and more people will die. Sorry if this offends anyone, but you must be stupid to think that anyone would ever vote for sterilizing anyone after an abortion. i am against sterilization.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by backseatchris
No one answered my question: Do people who support Pro-Choice also support the Capital Punishment? It's driving my made I mean it seams you would have to.
I define murder as taking someone's life against their will. That is the difference between capitol punishment and abortion. An unborn child has no vested interest in living much like a coma patient we might pull the plug on.
That rational seems flawed as every living being has a natural "vested interest" in living. In psychology their observations have concluded a long time ago that even babies have a pre-wired desire to feed and sleep which is a "vested interest" in living. Again there has to be some other rational that differentiates the two.

- I am pro-choice, and would be ok with a GF/Wife having an abortion. Until the fetus shows all signs of a living creature, i am alright with an abortion being done. Late term abortions im against unless there is a direct threat to the mothers life.

Make abortions illegal, and they will just be done more unsafely, and more people will die. Sorry if this offends anyone, but you must be stupid to think that anyone would ever vote for sterilizing anyone after an abortion. i am against sterilization.
And see again this is how you rationalize the human existence??? The fact that the fetus is growing, seeking nutrients, & multiplying is a clear cut scientific definition of a living creature. Do you not consider parasites living, as they cannot support their selves? Again any way you look at it you can't be against one and support the other, it is being hypocritical.

And your case for unsafe abortions: when have abortions ever been safe??? You always have the risk of becoming sterile.

I will leave it at that. I got the answer I needed.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you're against killing a convicted criminal (murderer, child molester..etc.), but you're fine with killing an innocent baby?
Interesting.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

And see again this is how you rationalize the human existence??? The fact that the fetus is growing, seeking nutrients, & multiplying is a clear cut scientific definition of a living creature. Do you not consider parasites living, as they cannot support their selves? Again any way you look at it you can't be against one and support the other, it is being hypocritical.

And your case for unsafe abortions: when have abortions ever been safe??? You always have the risk of becoming sterile.

I will leave it at that. I got the answer I needed.
no hypocracy there. They are 2 separate issues that can have 2 separate standings. Up to a point, the fetus is nothing more than a growth and multiplication of cells. Yes, it is a great potential for human life, but i support a womans choice to end a pregnancy. It is her body that is developing this child, therefore she alone has the decision as to whether or not to end a pregnancy.

I never said i was 100% against killing, but i am 100% against state sanctioned murder. I support war when no other option is available, that is an acceptable killing to me, so the concept of allowing someone to kill someone else is not outside my grasp.

And abortions these days are very safe compared to how they used to be done illegally. The legal clinics are very clean, safe, and professional. Very few deaths occur. And the morning after pill is great, very safe. Yes, accidents happen, but not on the scale they do when illegal clinics are being run.

Its all about how you value life. I value a grown adults life over a fetus' life, which i value over a dogs life, which i value over a trees life, which i value over a blade of grasses life. Thats all you are doing, is assigning a value to a life. its all a matter of opinion.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by matt_a

So you're against killing a convicted criminal (murderer, child molester..etc.), but you're fine with killing an innocent baby?
Interesting.
yes i am against killing convicts. And yes, i am for a womans right to choose whether or not to end her pregnancy.

You guys can laugh at me, call me a hypocrite, whatever, i dont care. Each day that goes by, every state comes closer (if not already) to making abortions legal and more easily available while abolishing the death penalty. Even states that are mostly republican and for the death penalty and against abortion are losing their cases on both grounds, so apparently there is some moral fiber behind my stance.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^ Then again how you assign a value on life is an opinion I value the life of a murderer less than a fetus.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Interesting.
yes i am against killing convicts. And yes, i am for a womans right to choose whether or not to end her pregnancy.

You guys can laugh at me, call me a hypocrite, whatever, i dont care. Each day that goes by, every state comes closer (if not already) to making abortions legal and more easily available while abolishing the death penalty. Even states that are mostly republican and for the death penalty and against abortion are losing their cases on both grounds, so apparently there is some moral fiber behind my stance.
Oh I'm not laughing at your are anything I'm just trying to understand this rational.

Though it seems your just going along with what the gov't is deeming ok, but I'm not here to tell you thats bad it your ideas not mine.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not for abortion, especially when it's used almost as "birth control". But I also would not tell anyone who was assaulted that they had to carry that person's child to go along with the physical and emotional scars they will live with forever.
As for the death penalty, if it's a grevious offense, then I feel it is deserved ( after all evidence proves no doubt ).
I would also say that these killers ( whether the school shooter, or the parent who takes their kids' lives in spite ) & who then commit suicide before facing justice..... that really pains me that all the families involved have no chance to get answers and to seek the justice that just may help them get some closure.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me ask you this: Many people (like yourself) say that abortion is especially okay if the mother's life might be in danger. Not 100% positively is in danger, but might be in danger. They will justify killing the baby because of the risk to the mother. Fair enough. I don't agree with it, but for argument's sake let's say I do in that case.
But yet you are against ending the life of a convicted murderer who posses a very real risk of killing again. Many of these people get out and do it again. Even if they never get out, many have killed a prison guard or another inmate. What about that risk to life? It seems like a double standard to me. It seems like you value the life of a convicted, guilty criminal over the life of an innocent baby.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Interesting.

Oh I'm not laughing at your are anything I'm just trying to understand this rational.

Though it seems your just going along with what the gov't is deeming ok, but I'm not here to tell you thats bad it your ideas not mine.

im the last person your ever gonna see going along with the government. The government just happens to have the same opinion i do, but not really. Local governments seem to side with me while the current administration is against abortion, pro death penalty, and abstinence only...which all 3 things im against.

My rational is:
-the death penalty is wrong because we are executing a human against his own will, when other options are available. Life in prison is suitable for serious offenders.

-abortion is a choice made by the host of the fetus. It is the host's body, mind, and life at stake as well. Up to a point, the fetus is nothing but a parasitic human. Since the Host is the one providing the nutrition, it should also be her right to deny that.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i forgot to mention, i am not pro abortion in every case here. there ae quite a few times i would not want an abortion. My stance is though that i would rather give someone the opportunity to choose than deny them no choice at all.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Let me ask you this: Many people (like yourself) say that abortion is especially okay if the mother's life might be in danger. Not 100% positively is in danger, but might be in danger. They will justify killing the baby because of the risk to the mother. Fair enough. I don't agree with it, but for argument's sake let's say I do in that case.
But yet you are against ending the life of a convicted murderer who posses a very real risk of killing again. Many of these people get out and do it again. Even if they never get out, many have killed a prison guard or another inmate. What about that risk to life? It seems like a double standard to me. It seems like you value the life of a convicted, guilty criminal over the life of an innocent baby.
Prison guards are not killed nearly as much as other inmates and serious criminals. Even if a prison guard is killed, he knowingly accepted that danger. Thats no different than working at the zoo and complaining that a lion ate you.
And the high security prisons that are operated as tightly as fortune 500 businesses rarey, if ever see another inmate inflicted death. Thats mainly because they take every single precaution with the inmates, rather than developing a friendship.

But lets look at it your way. Had they put that convict to death, only he would be dead. Now, thanks to him, probably 2 or more convicts are dead. So why are you complaining?

--off to college now. be back in 3 hours
Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ another angle to this, one that i'm sure has had nation wide viewing: we had a convicted rapist who after 18 years in prison was released as his case was overturned ( new DNA evidence in his favor ). He gets out, and a short time later ( with his nephew's help ) rapes, kills, and mutilates a local photogapher. Now he deserves everything he will get; but will his case affect those who work to free others who are innocent? Or will it make others pause a bit more before considering helping anyone who may need their assistance?
It may be more for the discussion of not just is a person guilty, but what should our society do to make sure it's people are safe from harm. I sure don't have all the answers, but cases like this really make me wonder how good our legal and prison system is. But i do feel that if one commits a terrible act against another, then if not the death penalty that person should spend the rest of their life in hard times so they somehow suffer what the victim & family went thru.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Prison guards are not killed nearly as much as other inmates and serious criminals. Even if a prison guard is killed, he knowingly accepted that danger. Thats no different than working at the zoo and complaining that a lion ate you.
And the high security prisons that are operated as tightly as fortune 500 businesses rarey, if ever see another inmate inflicted death. Thats mainly because they take every single precaution with the inmates, rather than developing a friendship.

But lets look at it your way. Had they put that convict to death, only he would be dead. Now, thanks to him, probably 2 or more convicts are dead. So why are you complaining?

Are you sure prisons are operated that tightly??? I know for a fact most aren't. Most are understaffed, overcrowded, & under funded. All cases I've seen first hand in my line of work. The pay for guards are usually bad and the background check limits most of the people who would work for that amount. Inmates break anything in their cell to make weapons, and there usually isn't money to repair them. Obviously prisons don't work.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Support it!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heck, watch any of the prison specials on cable lately.... they can make little spears out of tightly wound paper, let alone the "normal" weapons that have been around for years....
if they only went after each other, then so be it... but that's not always the case.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
heck, watch any of the prison specials on cable lately.... they can make little spears out of tightly wound paper, let alone the "normal" weapons that have been around for years....
if they only went after each other, then so be it... but that's not always the case.
haha yeah that would be great. I watched the mythbusters on inmates making paper crossbows and there was this inmate who made a gun out of plumbing piping and such, it was crazy.

these inmates sit in their cell all day long thinking of ways to make weapons.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what made me change my stance on abortion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babality
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Are you sure prisons are operated that tightly??? I know for a fact most aren't. Most are understaffed, overcrowded, & under funded. All cases I've seen first hand in my line of work. The pay for guards are usually bad and the background check limits most of the people who would work for that amount. Inmates break anything in their cell to make weapons, and there usually isn't money to repair them. Obviously prisons don't work.
If my ex gf will talk to me, i will ask what prison her uncle works at. He's a doctor there and there hasnt been a single recorded death in the prison in the past 25+ years.

From my understanding, this is how things operate at this max security prison.

- inmates spend 23.5 hours a day inside their cells, alone, with .5 hours outside in a fenced in area.
- they eat all of their meals in their cells, using a rubber spork. From what jeff said, it had the strength of an eraser on a pencil, but was a bit thicker. It wouldnt break while eating, but if you tried to stab someone youd have trouble poking out an eye lol.
- each cell has a "safety trade box" that works kinda like at the bank, where you put your stuff in a drawer and then slide it from one side to the other.
- cameras everywhere, no outside items allowed, remote operated, never more than 5 inmates in once place.

Think of hannibal lectors cell and that what you have got minus all of the luxury items. The place is a true prison in every sense of the word, not a place to go hangout and kill time. Its harsh, but you literally are cut off from the world and most other inmates for your entire stay.

Quick Reply: Death Penalty