Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Death Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
I think that if there is unrefutable proof that you killed someone in cold blood, you should be executed. No 20 year death row, just execute them. If someone killed your mom/dad/brother/sister/wife/husband, Im sure you would change your mind Chris.
Death penalty is too easy for them. I'd rather subject them to solitude and Yoko Ono CD's for the rest of their natural life.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... I could be wrong being that I am atheist but doesn't the new testament feature a "turn the other cheek" attitude? Interesting...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use to work at a used clothing place a while ago. there was a whacked out crazy guy who would come in, buy some fashion magazines and a young girl's pair of underwear for $.29 nearly everyday.

not doing anything wrong on the surface, but i'd say he needed to be put down like a dog. i just imagine a guy like that, would become a pedo if the opprotunity arose.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ewww... fashion magazines!?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While we are on the subject, the bible also says: But if a fatal accident should occur, then you must give soul for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, branding for branding, wound for wound, blow for blow.

Exodus 21:23-25

But like you said, Matthew 5:39 is just as appropiate.

Thats why we let God sort em out.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by citizen01
Wow... I could be wrong being that I am atheist but doesn't the new testament feature a "turn the other cheek" attitude? Interesting...
It also says something about eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. And yes, I realize two things: a) we'd all end up blind and toothless if we followed it to a tee, and b) ya mean the Bible is contradicting itself? Noooo, really?

I'm with Dave, that guy just plain needs to be taken off this planet.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eye for an eye is "old testament". So unless you guys are Jewish... Nice try.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, Uh, I read the entire bible. Not just Old testament. See, real christians read the whole thing. Not just bits and pieces of what you want.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whether you read it or not is irrelevant because it is my understanding that "real christians" (dam arrogant of you) have scrapped the old testament for the new. That being the case "eye for an eye" is no longer the "Christian" way.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once again, you consider all christian religions to be guilty of the same thing eh? Didn't we touch on that the other day?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If we're quoting scripture to back up an arguement, we can quote from the scriptural resource we choose. That's sort of why it's usually a fairly decent idea to keep scripture out of arguments that don't pertain to the afterlife, you can always find one source to contradict another.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL... both of the above are correct. krusty, pm incoming.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by seattledave
i use to work at a used clothing place a while ago. there was a whacked out crazy guy who would come in, buy some fashion magazines and a young girl's pair of underwear for $.29 nearly everyday.

not doing anything wrong on the surface, but i'd say he needed to be put down like a dog. i just imagine a guy like that, would become a pedo if the opprotunity arose.
you mean he would become a child molestor?

Cant really blame someone for being a pedophile, its a psychological disorder. Theres a ton of pedophiles who hate being attracted to little kids, but dont really have a choice in the matter. Its the pedophiles that become child molestors that are pretty bad people. I hate child molestors, but i sympathize with pedophiles. Sorry, just something ive always been very picky about.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by backseatchris
Originally Posted by seattledave

you mean he would become a child molestor?

Cant really blame someone for being a pedophile, its a psychological disorder. Theres a ton of pedophiles who hate being attracted to little kids, but dont really have a choice in the matter. Its the pedophiles that become child molestors that are pretty bad people. I hate child molestors, but i sympathize with pedophiles. Sorry, just something ive always been very picky about.
well that's fine, a pedo is someone who just thinks about molesting children, and a child molestor actually does it.

still, something has to be done with those pepole, because someone sitting there CONSTANTLY thinking about molesting children(i say constantly, because, as a guy, if you were attracted to someone, but couldn't have them, but had to see them everyday, you'd be constantly thinking abuot them, especially if you never were satisfied, right? i think about sex pretty constantly myself still and i get some, u?) they're just an open opprotunity from doing it. and we've both heard how it's uncurable, right? How long do these people hold out from molesting? As long as their sanity is with them? Seem like their sanity is gone already.

it's like someone who thinks about murdering people everyday, but who can never be cured of the thoughts and wanting to do it. Do we really need those people around? How close are they to crossing that line? I'm an atheist, but i'm not a pacifist when it comes to protecting our offspring, and the future of the species.

i feel like i gotta throw out that spock line, "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few"
Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teamben158
Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
In principal, I agree with it, in practice that's another story.

If the evidence is overwhelming, hellz yeah.

If your public defender falls asleep during trial, well that's another story.
+1. It's not a lot, but it has happened where after the person is executed, new evidence comes up to prove them innocent. If it is without a doubt, I'm all for it, but with the legal system in the USA, it worries me sometimes.
I don't know if you meant to criticize our legal system but "the innocent till proven guilty" theme has saved thousands of innocent people that may have been put to death on false terms in other countries. I don't really know what more we could do.
I did mean to critize our legal system with that statement, but it's two sided. While our legal system is agruably the best in the world, it still isn't perfect. Just look at how often people get off for something by hiring a high power lawyer (OJ?).

It is impossible to have a "perfect" legal system. I was trying to imply that if our legal system was "perfect," then I'd be all for the death penalty, but it's not.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the US Dept of Justice data :
Of the 7,061 people under sentence of death between 1977 and 2003, 12% were executed, 4% died by causes other than execution, and 36% received other dispositions.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since when is it ok to act on "how we feel" if it affects the lives of others. It's ok to kill somone cause they killed someone?

For those of you with kids... If your child got suspended for sheating on a test and his argument for cheating was "my friend did it first" you would tell him that it does not matter and cheating is wrong. This is no different.
That is a horrible example, we're not talking about following the leader, we're talking about executing someone for their horrible crimes.

Do I support the death penalty? Absolutely, if the crime fits the bill and it is proven without doubt that they did the crime, they should be sentenced. If there is doubt that the person did what he was punished for then continue to fight for that evidence that may get an innocent man off.

As far as economics go, it makes more sense to have the death penalty for inmates with no chance of parole and have committed horrible crimes. It's either that or the prisons continue to get more and more crouded and costs much more money for the taxpayers.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a horrible example, we're not talking about following the leader, we're talking about executing someone for their horrible crimes.
I am saying murder is wrong, and it seems you agree. Well we tell kids all the time that two wrongs don't make a right. I'm just showing what damned hypocrites we are as a society.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRealBen
Do I support the death penalty? Absolutely, if the crime fits the bill and it is proven without doubt that they did the crime, they should be sentenced. If there is doubt that the person did what he was punished for then continue to fight for that evidence that may get an innocent man off.
no crime is "without a doubt" that doesn't have video tape evidence and the murderer admiting that he did it. Should we reserve the death penalty for those extreme cases?

people even admitting to crimes, doesn't prove they did it. They can claim duress or mistreatment, or they were covering for someone else.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did mean to critize our legal system with that statement, but it's two sided. While our legal system is agruably the best in the world, it still isn't perfect. Just look at how often people get off for something by hiring a high power lawyer (OJ?).

It is impossible to have a "perfect" legal system. I was trying to imply that if our legal system was "perfect," then I'd be all for the death penalty, but it's not.
You're right, it's not perfect, and no system is perfect, but ours is absolutely the best on the planet. The idea of our system is that it is better that 10 guilty "get off" to avoid 1 innocent person get convicted. That's why it's tilted in the favor of the accused, and I'm ok with that.

Quick Reply: Death Penalty