Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

ding dong the witch is dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ever see those pictures of Catholic priests blessing ***** and their weapons, while Catholic priests in the Allied Nations were doing the same thing? So God is blessing both sides?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
Originally Posted by xdorkx
Originally Posted by oldmanatee
In 1993, Graham said before a record-breaking crowd in Columbus, Ohio "Is AIDS a judgment of God? I could not say for sure, but I think so." After seeing letters criticizing that comment, Graham later said "I remember saying it, and I immediately regretted it and almost went back and clarified the statement," and "To say God has judged people with AIDS would be very wrong and very cruel."

it's like saying one thing, then wink-wink, i didn't mean it.

I do this all the time myself, saying things like a god doesn't exist, but after receiving complaints I say "i didn't mean it, that's horrible".
OK, thanks for the time frame...I would have bet it was much earlier, but again, he is a man with the right to have his opinion. Nowhere does he call for killing people with AIDS.

I can understand how someone that refuses to believe in God wants nothing more than for a follower of God to fail. Here is a newsflash...we all will.
he's entitled to his opinion, but as soon as he preaches his opinions as truth to millions of people, then there is a problem obviously. When anyone is in a postion to have millions of people blindly follow him, then shouldn't that mans teachings be correct and not hateful?

i don't want anyone to fail. I just want people to stop preaching made up things, preying upon children and the weak and giving them false hopes in exchange for 10% of their income.

But christians supposedly hold themselves up to a higher standard than the rest of the world(as viewed by them). So were is it?
It seems as though there is 1 christian in the entire world. "Me" as answered by every christian. Everyone else who doesn't do and believe just as that one guy does isn't. Was hitler a christian? He said he was, and we don't know what jesus/god thinks, so then as far as every christian is concerned, he should be. Unless you start to judge him, a very unchristian thing to do, right?(again, these are YOUR rules, not mine)
Today it seems the most often quoted Bible verse is Matthew 7:1, “Judge not, that ye be not judged." Some use it without realizing its true meaning and others, Christian and non Christians, use it to avoid accountability. Hypocrites for example would use it to avoid being challenged in their wrong doing. What does this verse really mean? Does this verse teach that we cannot judge others?

We see Jesus just a few verse later in Matthew 7:6 calling people “Pigs" and “dogs" and in verse 15 “wolves in sheep’s clothing." In verse 16 He tells us how to recognize the false prophets, “you will recognize them by their fruits." Jesus would not be telling us how to recognize false prophets if he did not expect us to judge them as being true prophets or false prophets.

Therefore, the answer to your question is that Christians are to judge others. If judging others is unchristian as some charge, we would be unable to have the various levels of government, we would be unable to be a good parent, we would certainly make a poor employer, none of us would be able to sit on a jury and the list goes on.

Jesus does condemn a critical and judgmental spirit, one with a sense of moral superiority. He commanded us to examine ourselves first for the problems that we so easily see in others (you ever heard the te. It is when we examine ourselves that we can better see the problem and get help for our own problem first. Christians are not only commanded to judge but to judge righteously and not just by appearance. John 7:24, “Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

If somebody claims to be a Christian, then goes out and kills 12 million jews...i'd have to say that NO they are not a Christian, because their actions do not show the love of God.....so regarding what God/Jesus think of hitler, they think he was a sinner who was unforgiven, and now he's in hell for it.

If a person is doing wrong and I tell them they are doing wrong I am not judging that person but I am judging that persons behavior. God will judge the intent or motivation of man

I hope that clears things up a bit and sorry its' so long, i just re-read it, took just over a minute, so not TOO bad of a read. :-)
you believe jesus=god and god is the judger, so having jesus judge is fine is what i've come to understand with the new testament. i think the bible wants you to be able to judge/tell false-prophets, but not judge someone based upon how you believe.

But who's a false prophet in the eyes of a christian?
Some christian I talk to say god would never hate gays, and would accept them into heaven, if they accept jesus and live their life right.

Other(most) christians I talk to say gays are always sinning, and being indenial of your sin, and not repenting for buttsex keeps gays out of christianity and they are going to hell.

Now say there is a preacher who advocates for ___ sex and ___ marriage and says they are going to heaven if they accept jesus as their saviour. Is he a false prophet according to you?

Now say there is a preacher who believes being ___ is a sin, and that god put aids on this planet to help wipe out gays. Is he a false prophet according to you?
A false prophet in the eyes of GOD is anybody who speaks in Gods name falsely....God hates sin, period...God hates when I speed on the freeway because i'm breaking the law, God hates when a man is with another man, sin is sin, you need to REPENT from said sin and turn from that lifestyle in order to be forgiven. If a ___ man accepts jesus, but never turns from his ___ life style he is still living in sin and not forgiven....i'd have to say he never truly accepted Christ into his life because he's still living in his sinful lifestyle....on that note, some preachers are crazy.

Moving on, to answer your question, if a preacher says being ___ is a sin and God put aids on this planet to help wipe out gays, is he a false prophet? Who knows, maybe, maybe not...i won't know why Aids is here until i meet God face to face. Personally, I don't agree with that....but God hasn't told me otherwise. Now, if that same preacher said "In 2 days, God is going to kill all gays", and it doesn't happen...that absolutely he's a false prophet. The idea that aids is here to wipe out Gays is just an opinion shared by some and not based on scripture or fact.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown
Ever see those pictures of Catholic priests blessing ***** and their weapons, while Catholic priests in the Allied Nations were doing the same thing? So God is blessing both sides?
Are you a Christian or not? You seem to be playing both sides here and i'm confused....the post before this you were talking about how the bible says being ___ is a sin and you believe that...other posts you're playing devils advocate?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am a christian, but Im trying to get people to see the hypocracy in most modern religion. I want dave/cititzen to realize that just because you call yourself a christian, and brainwash half the country to believe in what you do, does not make you a true christian. A true Christian would not say the rediculous crap that he has said. A true christian would not get involved in Politics of a Human Government like him.

I believe in God and the Bible. I dont believe in the Trinity. Thats a pagan teaching that was indoctraneted into "Christianity". Jesus is Gods Son. He is not the same as God.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

/\/\/\ Cool ok, very true very true...most of the country claims to be a christian, yet they only go to church on easter and/or christmas.....and regarding the trinity, Jesus claimed to be God on many occasions,in fact the book of john (1:1) Says in the beginning was the Word (jesus), the word was WITh God, and the word WAS God...that says it right there even, would you like me to quote exactly where christ says he's God as well? :-) Then again, thats for another discusion, open up a trinity post if you want to discuss that........i've been studying this stuff since you were 6, i should be able to hold my own :-P (not a knock on your age, just messin with ya, hehe)
Old 05-17-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh, this is starting to look like the atheist/theist thread all over again...
Originally Posted by Tomas
Here's a little game for y'all to play...

http://nom-de-grr.livejournal.com/51142.html

Enjoy!

Tom
Hahahaha Oh man, that's f@ckin' awesome...

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom.
Wow, I dunno about you, but this sounds like the vast majority of the population of the world, including christians. (not to mention church collection seems a bit like extortion to me...) And let's not forget Exodus 22:18... Meh, I'm supposedly going to hell for so many things as is... (shrugs)
Old 05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is actually the ENTIRE world, NOBODY is without sin...BUT with Christ's forgiveness you CAN go to heaven, and be found 'not guilty' on judgement day
Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, well a lot of people want to go to heaven, but does anyone know what it's supposed to be like there? From what I've heard so far it don't sound like too much fun. I think I'll just chill here on Earth instead. We've got cookies.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do people believe in Hell? Show me one scripture where it says that if you sin, you burn in Hell. If theres a hell, that means that God and Satan are in cahoots right? Satan is taking care of his dirty work right?

xdorkx, Gotta go home on my lunch break, grab my bible, I will either reply here or pm you ok?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not positive but I believe the church actually adopted the concept of hell from oldskool buddists or hindus back in the day. There was also no concept of Satan (as the supreme source of evil) until over a thousand years after the church was even founded. (The original story of jesus being tempted was by a demon or "devil." A generic term, not Satan as a specific entity.) I'll try to find some sources for this and edit the post.

Satan - the root of this word is s-t-n, meaing to snitch (tell on somebody) or to prosecute. In the Jewish perception Satan is not and could not be an adversary of god, because no one can compare with the might of god. and thus the satan is an underling of his, whose job is to test people, prosecute them to god's court, and tell on them. In fact originally the satan is not even a certain angel, but a position that is filled by various angels in different situations (an example is Numbers 22, 22: "...and the angel of the Lord stood in the way for an adversary against him.", in the Hebrew original the sentence goes: "...and the angel of the Lord stood in the way as a satan to him" thus indicating that any angel could be 'satan' when the need arose).
Satan (Greek: Satan or Satanas) as used in the New Testament is a word of Hebrew origin. It means the accuser, the adversary, the opponent, the prosecution (in a legal case). In the Greek New Testament the Hebrew word Satan is often translated into the Greek word diabolos, which most commonly is translated into English as Devil. Diabolos means the accuser, slanderer, calumniator, backbiter, enemy, one who separates.
Still trying to find sources for the church adding satan to the bible... I know I read it somewhere. Might have been a book though, and searching through my library could take a while... (sigh)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From Should You Believe in the Trinity:

A PROTESTANT publication states: "The word Trinity is not found in the Bible . . . It did not find a place formally in the theology of the church till the 4th century." (The Illustrated Bible Dictionary) And a Catholic authority says that the Trinity "is not . . . directly and immediately [the] word of God."—New Catholic Encyclopedia.

The Catholic Encyclopedia also comments: "In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together. The word [tri'as] (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A. D. 180. . . . Shortly afterwards it appears in its Latin form of trinitas in Tertullian."

"Primitive Christianity did not have an explicit doctrine of the Trinity such as was subsequently elaborated in the creeds."—The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology.

"The early Christians, however, did not at first think of applying the [Trinity] idea to their own faith. They paid their devotions to God the Father and to Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and they recognised the . . . Holy Spirit; but there was no thought of these three being an actual Trinity, co-equal and united in One."—The Paganism in Our Christianity.

"The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. . . . Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."—New Catholic Encyclopedia.

Many who accept the Trinity view it that same way. Monsignor Eugene Clark says: "God is one, and God is three. Since there is nothing like this in creation, we cannot understand it, but only accept it." Cardinal John O'Connor states: "We know that it is a very profound mystery, which we don't begin to understand." And Pope John Paul II speaks of "the inscrutable mystery of God the Trinity."

However, contending that since the Trinity is such a confusing mystery, it must have come from divine revelation creates another major problem. Why? Because divine revelation itself does not allow for such a view of God: "God is not a God of confusion."—1 Corinthians 14:33, Revised Standard Version (RS).
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory." (Isaiah 42: "I am Yahweh your God . . . You shall have no gods except me." (Italics ours.)—Exodus 20:2, 3, JB.

"You, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth."—Psalm 83:18.

JESUS called God "the only true God." (John 17:3) Never did he refer to God as a deity of plural persons. That is why nowhere in the Bible is anyone but Jehovah called Almighty. Otherwise, it voids the meaning of the word "almighty." Neither Jesus nor the holy spirit is ever called that, for Jehovah alone is supreme. At Genesis 17:1 he declares: "I am God Almighty." And Exodus 18:11 says: "Jehovah is greater than all the other gods."

Jesus, in his prehuman existence, was "the first-born of all creation." (Colossians 1:15, NJB) He was "the beginning of God's creation." (Revelation 3:14, RS, Catholic edition). "Beginning" [Greek, ar·khe'] cannot rightly be interpreted to mean that Jesus was the 'beginner' of God's creation. In his Bible writings, John uses various forms of the Greek word ar·khe' more than 20 times, and these always have the common meaning of "beginning." Yes, Jesus was created by God as the beginning of God's invisible creations.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right. And then Zeus hooked up with Alcmene to make Hercules... Oh, no wait, sorry I got my myths mixed up. It can all be so confusing at times
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was in catholic school I just viewed the trinity as the mind (god in heaven), body (jesus on earth), and soul or power (holy spirit) of God.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by citizen01
Right. And then Zeus hooked up with Alcmene to make Hercules... Oh, no wait, sorry I got my myths mixed up. It can all be so confusing at times
Haha, man Zeus was a pimp and a bit of a freak... Come to mention it, the greeks were kinky as hell... All the ladies wanting to get boned by animals and getting golden showers and other kinky **** (all Zeus in disguise of course)...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL... yeah to the best of my knowledge he had kids with 39 different women some of which were gods and some which were mortal. A real role model if you ask me.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do people believe in Hell? Show me one scripture where it says that if you sin, you burn in Hell. If theres a hell, that means that God and Satan are in cahoots right? Satan is taking care of his dirty work right?

xdorkx, Gotta go home on my lunch break, grab my bible, I will either reply here or pm you ok?
Just message me in here, might as well let all enjoy. :-)
Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure, i got plenty of quotes. :-)

Hell, *ahem*, clearning his throat

The bible talks about hell in MANY ways, these are JUST from the new Test, though the OT speaks of it as well

Unquenchable Fire
Matt. 3:12 "And His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Fiery Hell
Matt. 5:22, "whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell." See also, Matt. 5:29,30.

Fiery Hell
Matt. 18:8-9, "And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal fire. 9"And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out, and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than having two eyes, to be cast into the fiery hell."

Eternal Fire
Matt. 25:41, "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.

Eternal Punishment
Matt. 25:46, "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
The word 'eternal' in both places is "aionios" which means 1)without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be; 2)without beginning; 3)without end, never to cease, everlasting. The word 'punishment' is the word kolasis and it means "to punish, with the implication of resulting severe suffering - 'to punish, punishment.'"(5)

Eternal Fire
Jude 7, "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire."

Lake of Fire
Rev. 20:15, "And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

Hell is a real place. It is not mere unconsciousness. It is not temporal. It is eternal torment. Perhaps that is why Jesus spoke more of hell than heaven and spent so much time warning people not to go there. After all, if people just stopped existing, why warn them? If it was temporal, they'd get out in a while. But if it were eternal and conscious, then the warning is strong....

Jesus said, "And if your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out, and throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. "And if your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off, and throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to go into hell," (Matt. 5:29-30).
Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory." (Isaiah 42: "I am Yahweh your God . . . You shall have no gods except me." (Italics ours.)—Exodus 20:2, 3, JB.

"You, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth."—Psalm 83:18.

JESUS called God "the only true God." (John 17:3) Never did he refer to God as a deity of plural persons. That is why nowhere in the Bible is anyone but Jehovah called Almighty. Otherwise, it voids the meaning of the word "almighty." Neither Jesus nor the holy spirit is ever called that, for Jehovah alone is supreme. At Genesis 17:1 he declares: "I am God Almighty." And Exodus 18:11 says: "Jehovah is greater than all the other gods."

Jesus, in his prehuman existence, was "the first-born of all creation." (Colossians 1:15, NJB) He was "the beginning of God's creation." (Revelation 3:14, RS, Catholic edition). "Beginning" [Greek, ar·khe'] cannot rightly be interpreted to mean that Jesus was the 'beginner' of God's creation. In his Bible writings, John uses various forms of the Greek word ar·khe' more than 20 times, and these always have the common meaning of "beginning." Yes, Jesus was created by God as the beginning of God's invisible creations.
Here are some "fun" questiosn i always like to ask people about this, when in this discussion. Yes, this is a copy paste, no i did not write these myself. :-)

If Jesus is not God, then explain...

1. Why Thomas calls Jesus God in John 20:28? (Note, Thomas addresses Jesus specifically.)
2. Why does God call Jesus God in Heb. 1:8?
3. Why does John the apostle state that Jesus was the Word which was God that became flesh (John 1:1,14)?
4. Why is the phrase "Call upon the name of the LORD" (Hebrew, YHWH, i.e., Psalm 116:4) used only of God on the OT, and translated into the Greek in the LXX as "Call upon the name of the LORD (greek, KURIOS)," applied to Jesus in the NT (1 Cor. 1:2) if Jesus is not God in flesh?
5. Why does the apostle John say that Jesus was , "...calling God His own Father, making Himself equal to God," (John 5:1?
6. What did Jesus say that caused the Pharisees to claim that Jesus was making Himself out to be God.
7. How was it possible for Jesus to know all things (John 21:17)?
8. How can Jesus know all men (John 16:30)?
9. How can Jesus be everywhere (Matt. 28:20)?
10. How can Jesus, the Christ, dwell in you (Col. 1:27)?
11. How can Jesus be the exact representation of the Nature of God (Heb. 1:3)?
12. How can Jesus be eternal (Micah 5:1-2)?
13. How can Jesus be the one who gives eternal life (John 10:27-2?
14. How can He be our only Lord and Master (Jude 4)?
15. How can Jesus be called the Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6) if there is only one God
in existence (Isaiah 44:6-8; 45:5)?
16. How can Jesus be called the Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6) and "God" also be called the Mighty God in Isaiah 10:21?
17. How was Jesus able to raise Himself from the dead (John 2:19-21)?
18. How can Jesus create all things (Col. 1:16-17), yet it is God who created all things by Himself (Isaiah 44:24)?
19. How can Jesus search the hearts and minds of the people (Rev. 2:23)?
20. Why was Jesus worshiped (Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; 28:9; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6) when He says to worship God only (Matt. 4:10)? (same Greek word for worship is used in each place.)
21. In the OT God was seen (Exodus 6:2-3; 24:9-11; Num. 12:6-9; Acts 7:2), yet no man can see God (Exodus 33:20; John 1:1. It was not the Father that was seen in the OT (John 6:46). Who, then were they seeing? See John 8:58.
22. Then why did Jesus claim the divine name, "I AM", for Himself in John 8:58? see Exodus 3:14.
23. Then why did Jesus say you must honor him even as you honor the Father (John 5:23)?
24. Then why is it that both the Father and the Son give life (John 5:21)?
25. Then why did Jesus bear witness of Himself (John 8:18; 14:6)?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the King James Bible:

John 20:31
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Matthew 14:33
Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. (Note Son of God, not God)

Those astrologers who worshipped Jesus, were just that astrologers, and the bible specifically condems astrology.
Almost all translations of the bible remove Gods name and replace it with Lord.

Matthew 5:22
However, I say to YOU that everyone who continues wrathful with his brother will be accountable to the court of justice; but whoever addresses his brother with an unspeakable word of contempt will be accountable to the Supreme Court; whereas whoever says, ‘You despicable fool!’ will be liable to the fiery Ge·hen´na. (Most translations replace the word Ge-Hen'na with Hell. The word Ge-Hen'na was a reference to a burning dump outside a city, I cant remember which one, I can find out later, that corpses were thrown in. It meant eternal destruction, not torture in Hell)

By the way to pretty much sum up most of that, Obeisance is not the same as Worship. Again, when translators incorrectly replace words with other words, like hell and worship, that can change the meaning a lot. Obeisance is a sign of respect, not worship. In a lot of Asian countries, people bow as a form of respect, they aren't worhipping that person.

o·bei·sance
–noun
1. a movement of the body expressing deep respect or deferential courtesy, as before a superior; a bow, curtsy, or other similar gesture.
2. deference or homage: The nobles gave obeisance to the new king.

In numerous scriptures, Jesus prayed to God, so he was praying to himself?

Quick Reply: ding dong the witch is dead