Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: Do the door people at Wal-Mart stop you on your way out?
Yes
37.50%
No
45.83%
Sometimes
16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Do the door people at Wal-Mart stop you on your way out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i get stoppped all the time
Old 02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Madzozs, it's part of "paying it forward" (as opposed to paying back), where if one does a favor for someone else, instead of expecting them to pay you back, you tell them the next time they can do a favor for someone else, do it, and tell them to do the same. I learned that first from a book by Robert Anson Heinlein, but had it reinforced by a couple that took my wife and I in during a snow storm in 1969, and have followed it since. They insisted that we not give them ANYTHING, but the next time we saw someone in need of help, to help them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward

Do I challenge line-jumpers? Yup! Loudly.

Tom

(Yes, I'm a Heinleiner - maybe it's just early imprinting from reading his books as a kid.)
Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
I'm in Washington State and they don't do that at the Lynnwood, Marysville or Mt. Vernon Walmart.

Yes, I have been stopped and I have seen people stopped. The protocol on it has always been if you have items on the bottom of your shopping cart, high ticket items or items that aren't in bags. I have never seen any profiling.
Yeah, go to the Renton location, you'll see how it works, especially on a busy weekday evening or saturday(that location is usually always packed, with at least one or 2 people at the door). I've not been to the marysville, or mt. vernon one, but you have to go where large amounts of non-whites actually live. The lynnwood one is a lot less crowded than the renton one, and i don't think there's even a door person at the exit there.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

There's also the movie with Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt, and Hailey Joel Osmond rightfully named "Pay it Forward."
Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Madzozs, it's part of "paying it forward" (as opposed to paying back), where if one does a favor for someone else, instead of expecting them to pay you back, you tell them the next time they can do a favor for someone else, do it, and tell them to do the same. I learned that first from a book by Robert Anson Heinlein, but had it reinforced by a couple that took my wife and I in during a snow storm in 1969, and have followed it since. They insisted that we not give them ANYTHING, but the next time we saw someone in need of help, to help them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward

Do I challenge line-jumpers? Yup! Loudly.

Tom

(Yes, I'm a Heinleiner - maybe it's just early imprinting from reading his books as a kid.)
Yeah I reread what I wrote and the wording was kinda poor on my part. I was trying to describe the commercial without remembering what it was for.

Also, to the question about calling linecutters out. You bet your ___ I do. I don't care where I am or who I'm with. Courtesy shouldn't take a back seat to ego. The best part about it is that most people will be upset about it, but won't say anything unless someone else starts it off. I don't have a problem starting things off. I try polite first, then see where it goes.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheheh... Yeah, I may challenge a bit more strongly at first, though I am polite. Thing is, I probably even more often offer to let someone with just a few items, or with some need to get through quickly, go ahead of me if I have a lot of stuff, or if for whatever reason I will take up extra time.

(At the same time you can't imagine how annoyed I get with the folks who wait until after everything is rung up and the total presented before they FINALLY start looking for their checkbook. That check should already be made out and signed by the time they get the total, and only waiting for the amount to be written down.)

Heh. I just remembered a gal I used to work with... http://www.tijil.org/blog/?p=15

Tom
Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Mt. Vernon probably has the most diversity of any other WA city (Tomas probably will pull some numbers, lol).

If this is really happening, I'm shocked someone hasn't done something about it already. Call KIRO/KING/KOMO and have them do an investigation.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

now that you mention it, I saw someone get stopped valentines night.
One wasn't white, the other could have just had a very deep tan, as she was rather hot
They were both carrying out large stuffed animals, and checked out at the register nearest the door. Still stopped them. Was funny, but then it wasn't. She was totally hot though :D
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Mt. Vernon probably has the most diversity of any other WA city (Tomas probably will pull some numbers, lol).

If this is really happening, I'm shocked someone hasn't done something about it already. Call KIRO/KING/KOMO and have them do an investigation.
Renton has a higher % of non-whites (wikipedia.org is a great place for that kinda info)

either way though, renton is PACKED most all the time, and alot more people go there then little mount vernon (plus, think of where it's geographically located too, people from kent to bellevue to seattle to burien all go there).
Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A new Mall-Wart went in not all that far from me (no, I haven't been there, why do you ask? ). The Fred Meyer store about a half mile away from the Mall-Wart has seen a tremendous jump in shoplifting since the Mall-Wart opened. While there is no obvious direct connection between the two things, the change is very obvious and not just a statistical fluctuation.

Has the Mall-Wart attracted a different clientèle to the 'hood? I dunno, but the number of ripped-open, rifled packages being left is the Fred Meyer has jumped tremendously over what they had experienced over the previous five years.

Tom
Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(At the same time you can't imagine how annoyed I get with the folks who wait until after everything is rung up and the total presented before they FINALLY start looking for their checkbook. That check should already be made out and signed by the time they get the total, and only waiting for the amount to be written down.)
What is anyone in this day and age doing paying with a dang check? It's retail folks, pull out the plastic, and save the checks for bill time.

BTW, this is the exact reason I hate shopping during the day, m-f. Those housewives love their checkbooks.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I stand corrected about Mt. Vernon (gotta add Burlington to that too). I think the numbers has to of risen tremendously in the last 7 years though.

scionofPCFL, not everybody can get a debit card.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

who can't? all you need is to go down to wamu with 2 pieces of photo ID.

driver's license and hunting license, or fishing license, or concealed handgun permit.

=debit card
Old 02-17-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I am 6' 1" Indian kid, I have been stopped evrytime I have gone to a walmart, I am always checked whenever there is security, I deal with it, because it doesnt hurt me, but it's a poor stigmatism of america and the world
Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Ok... So I have to tell you all something. I used to be a "secret shopper" for Whale-Mart (a.k.a. Associate 10. I was able to apprehend about 60 people during the 6 months that I worked there. The thing is, not one of them were because a door greeter caught someone. Plus, if you are stealing something and the door goes off, just keep walking. They cannot touch you. They can't do anything. Just keep walking, get in your car and leave. Most of them will stop at the doors, but occasionally you'll get the guy that follows you out and writes your license plate # down. Don't worry about it! Unless the "secret shopper" saw you take something off the shelf, conceal it, and then walk out the door with it (never losing sight of you the entire time), they can't stop you. It's Wal-Mart policy. So, even if you're not stealing something, just act like you didn't hear anything and keep walking. Just ignore the lame old fogeys at the doors.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just pretend they don't exist.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by Jehoo