Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Electrical Exhaust Sounds where to find it

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Electrical Exhaust Sounds where to find it

Along time ago someone posted about an electric gadget that hooked onto a vacume line and then was basically hooked into the cars sound system. It had a little box that you could choose the type of car sounds you wanted your car to sound like and it simulated that sound through your car speakers. I dont know what its called but i remember it was on here like a year or two ago.

Any ideas
Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/52...scription.html

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The present invention is an apparatus for the enhancement of engine and exhaust sounds and for simulating the sounds of different types of engines, for use in an operating vehicle, having an analog signal output to the loud speakers of the vehicle, or to self-contained auxiliary speakers.

The apparatus of the invention comprises in a first illustrative embodiment thereof, an engine signal analyzer, to which is applied one or more signal inputs from the operating vehicle engine. Thus, the analyzer receives detected electrical signals from sensors placed in or on, for example, the tachometer or distributor indicative of engine RPM, from a detector indicating throttle position, from the coil, from the gear box and from the engine crankcase and manifolds. The analyzer interprets inputs from the sensors and generates controlling signals for a synthesis subsystem. An example of such interpretation is the conversion of a series of ignition coil pulses into a voltage level or digital value representing engine RPM. Another example is the amplification and digitization of vacuum sensor signals. Because this analysis is dependent on the design of the engine, there must be some method for adjusting or programming the analysis subsystem to take into account such factors as the number of cylinders, maximum RPM, maximum intake vacuum, etc. of the vehicle in which the devices is installed. The analyzer chip can consist of either analog or, preferably, digital electronic devices, or some hybrid of the two. It is similar in function and design to the engine analysis section of an electronic fuel injection controller. A digital engine analysis subsystem, for example, can comprise a preprogrammed microcontroller such as an MC68HC11 microchip and a set of active analog filters. In either case, actual engine parameters can be set by movable switches or jumper wires and simple potentiometer adjustments at the time of installation. If the engine is under load, such as when the vehicle is climbing a hill, the RPM may be less than an allowable maximum, but the throttle position may be at the maximum, and, in conjunction with the gear box, will indicate the load condition. Conversely, if the vehicle is going down hill, the RPM may rise while the throttle position and the gear box detectors produce signals indicating a reduced load. The analyzer utilizes all of the inputs to produce an output of one or more pulse trains indicative of such operating conditions.

The digital output signal of the first analyzer is applied to a digital synthesizer which likewise has applied thereto a control signal from a personality module which has been programmed to produce the engine sounds of, for example, a Bugatti. The synthesizer produces a digital signal output representing the engine and exhaust sounds of a Bugatti under the various operating conditions as determined by the first and second analyzers. The digital signal outputs of the synthesizer are applied to digital-to-analog converters to produce audio signal outputs which are, in turn, applied to audio amplifiers whose output, in turn, are applied to loudspeakers. For realism, the engine audio signal may be applied to the front speakers of the vehicle sound system and the exhaust audio signal may be applied to the rear speakers of the vehicle.

This is what i am looking for andi know they were produced at one time but i cant find the website for them
Old 12-17-2006, 08:33 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

http://www.vroombox.com/ ?

honestly... i can't imagine anyone buying that POS.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn it if it wasnt for the insane price i was going to get one for the box and one for my friend on his birthday. but thats way too much for a joke present.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:43 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

oh!! a joke present...

thank goodness.... i thought someone actually... ...

wait.. you wanted one too?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:48 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that looks like a joke site