Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

fed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no she is very strong and independent
she doesn't need anyone and doesn't need nor care for anyone's approval
I should learn from her and set my foot down
Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
no she is very strong and independent
she doesn't need anyone and doesn't need nor care for anyone's approval
I should learn from her and set my foot down

Strong and independant are a far cry from caring and happy.....

Yes, you should learn a little from her, but be careful not to become cold and hateful.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think I will have to set all of them at the table: uncle, mom, twin and older sister and tell them that this is my hobby and this is what I will do and if they do not want to support me then they can leave me alone
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I catch flak for spending time/money on my car as well. You know what I do when the old lady or my mom gives me grief? I go to the car wash or for a drive. It always makes me feel better.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
I catch flak for spending time/money on my car as well. You know what I do when the old lady or my mom gives me grief? I go to the car wash or for a drive. It always makes me feel better.
I do too
for a drive blast the music and smoke cigarettes

but it's a temp. relief that will just happen in a week's time
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
yeah man... going for a drive is the best... always helps...

even if it is temporary...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Maybe stop asking for your mom's or twin's approval?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just putting it out there.

My mom usually criticized lots of things I did. I compensated by thinking up incredibly detailed explanations of my decision-making process. Which is probably why I'm an engineer now. I'm guessing that won't work on your Mom or twin.

Maybe you could do a little "turning of the tables". Since your mom likes jewelry, you could point out she could have invested the money. Now, she's sitting on non-liquid assets that just depreciate, or at the least, don't really increase in value. Show her the long term price of gold relative to inflation (in the long term). Maybe give her a little guilt trip on the possibility of blood diamonds.

For your sister, if she's just doing the general criticism of tuners - "why not buy a better car", "why spend all that money on something that depreciates" - don't look for approval. You could point out that your mods were bought with your diposable income. Maybe show her your budget (Unless of course, you're buying mods when you should be paying rent, buying food, or re-paying loans).
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I will have to set all of them at the table: uncle, mom, twin and older sister and tell them that this is my hobby and this is what I will do and if they do not want to support me then they can leave me alone
that sounds like a plan... as long as they will be open minded and listen... sounds like your twin might be a hard sell...

did you ever think of taking them to a car show? or at least showing them a "tuner" magazine with pics of nice cars or footage from car show? or at least pics of other tCs and what can be done to them? maybe theyll get the idea...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
Maybe stop asking for your mom's or twin's approval?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just putting it out there.

My mom usually criticized lots of things I did. I compensated by thinking up incredibly detailed explanations of my decision-making process. Which is probably why I'm an engineer now. I'm guessing that won't work on your Mom or twin.

Maybe you could do a little "turning of the tables". Since your mom likes jewelry, you could point out she could have invested the money. Now, she's sitting on non-liquid assets that just depreciate, or at the least, don't really increase in value. Show her the long term price of gold relative to inflation (in the long term). Maybe give her a little guilt trip on the possibility of blood diamonds.

For your sister, if she's just doing the general criticism of tuners - "why not buy a better car", "why spend all that money on something that depreciates" - don't look for approval. You could point out that your mods were bought with your diposable income. Maybe show her your budget (Unless of course, you're buying mods when you should be paying rent, buying food, or re-paying loans).
When did I say I need their approval? I clearly stated the car is mine the money is mine. What I am seeking is their moral support.

My mom doesn't buy jewelry she buys creams which I can't build a valid point against because she looks 20 yrs younger than she is lol.

And my twin knows my bak account she knows I have more than enough to cover all my bases, she doesn't like me doing it because it takes away my time that I could spend with her.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I am sure that this has been said, but I am too lazy to read all three pages of what have already been said. I read the first post and that was enough for me.

First, your possesions are your possessions. If they are what make you happy, and what you treasure most, then do what YOU want to with it. Not what others want. It's always good to ask for opinions from time to time, but in the end, it's really up to you.
I am sure that your mom feels the same about her diamond necklace or whatever the hell she has. It might look good on her when she goes out, but what does it say to others? What does a car say to others. IMO, I would straight up take the chick with the car... that put her time and efforts into something, over a girl with the diamonds... who put her time into shopping for the vanity.

Second, you are grown up... and while it's always good to keep a strong relationship with your parents and your siblings, you are not always going to agree. That's just part of life. You can't make everyone happy C (Well, everyone other than the TJ crew... especially Sap).

Third, if you can take care of your bills, and put the things that you NEED in life before the things that you WANT, then I think you are already ahead of half the game. Do what you want... you reward yourself!

You go girl
::::does cabbage patch:::::
Go C, it's your birthday... go C!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

again, she doesn't buy jewelry she told me to buy them (just as to say to buy other things instead of car parts)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yeah yeah, I know... Hence the
Originally Posted by Amoxapine
... or whatever the hell she has.
You get my point. It's up to you. It makes you you... just like sick said... it's part of your personality... and though I may face serious reprocessions for saying it - I think it's damn sexy!

Oh, and BTW... I would choose the girl with the car over the girl with cream any day. To me, cream is even more vain. (Please don't say that I am calling your mom vain... I don't even know her). But sick made a good point before - "we want to see a girl for THEMSELVES. Not a girl with a mask."
Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

again you are wrong.

but whatever
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again you are wrong.

but whatever
i think he is saying that it takes explaining along the lines of jewelry doesnt matter or hold value for you and the only equivalent for you is car(parts) and such...

and on a completely unrelated note... Amox was saying that in his opinion(not that anyone cares j/k) a girl with a car fetish is better than a jewelry fetish... and he might get in trouble for saying that your hobby is sexy to him( and ill gladly back him up on that one)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by DragonR
again you are wrong.

but whatever
and on a completely unrelated note... Amox was saying that in his opinion(not that anyone cares j/k) a girl with a car fetish is better than a jewelry fetish... and he might get in trouble for saying that your hobby is sexy to him( and ill gladly back him up on that one)
x222222222222222222222222222222 then multiply that by 4, divided by 3, x1000.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Unless I am mistaken, this would be your car so do what makes YOU happy. If you are happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I get some of the same crap from friends and family, mainly because I end up spending money on the car when I need it for things more important.

I fully understand the feeling of being proud of what you have done and then getting shot down when you are feeling up about it. My mom does it to me all the time. Definitely a drag.

So the moral to this is keep doing what makes you happy...it's your money spend it how you wish.

Those who don't like it are just jealous that they don't have a car as cool as ours. What fun is it having a "plain Jane" car that you can't make be an image of you.

Good luck with the p's, they'll get over it...and you'll still be smiling.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

again you are wrong.

but whatever
i think he is saying that it takes explaining along the lines of jewelry doesnt matter or hold value for you and the only equivalent for you is car(parts) and such...

Yes, exactly. Whatever you mom does or has is prolly up to her... it's what makes her happy. You should do the same. Thanks for the clarification Dragon.

And thanks for the support on the sexiness comment you two :D
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dCvingtC
I fully understand the feeling of being proud of what you have done and then getting shot down when you are feeling up about it. My mom does it to me all the time. Definitely a drag.
EXACTLY.

Originally Posted by dCvingtC
Good luck with the p's, they'll get over it...and you'll still be smiling.
Hope so =)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

again you are wrong.

but whatever

Yes, exactly. Whatever you mom does or has is prolly up to her... it's what makes her happy. You should do the same. Thanks for the clarification Dragon.

And thanks for the support on the sexiness comment you two :D
You came off as implying my mom is selfish and self centred and superficial.

Thnks for the better words dragon
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

No, I was not trying to imply that. That's why I said:
Please don't say that I am calling your mom vain... I don't even know her
I don't know your mom, so I would not call her names or say untrue things about her. I am sorry that it came off that way. I am sure your mom is a very sweet lady. I mean, look at you. :D
They do say - "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

Quick Reply: fed up