Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

fed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I agree with Tom. nicely said... and nice quote.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

eh yes it's true but 23 years with a person is no joke

(eating, sleeping in the same room, being each other's buddies while switching continents every 3 years) is no joke....

she just moved out of the house so I guess we will get used to being "alone" soon enough
Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Originally Posted by etli
Maybe stop asking for your mom's or twin's approval?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just putting it out there.

My mom usually criticized lots of things I did. I compensated by thinking up incredibly detailed explanations of my decision-making process. Which is probably why I'm an engineer now. I'm guessing that won't work on your Mom or twin.

Maybe you could do a little "turning of the tables". Since your mom likes jewelry, you could point out she could have invested the money. Now, she's sitting on non-liquid assets that just depreciate, or at the least, don't really increase in value. Show her the long term price of gold relative to inflation (in the long term). Maybe give her a little guilt trip on the possibility of blood diamonds.

For your sister, if she's just doing the general criticism of tuners - "why not buy a better car", "why spend all that money on something that depreciates" - don't look for approval. You could point out that your mods were bought with your diposable income. Maybe show her your budget (Unless of course, you're buying mods when you should be paying rent, buying food, or re-paying loans).
When did I say I need their approval? I clearly stated the car is mine the money is mine. What I am seeking is their moral support.

My mom doesn't buy jewelry she buys creams which I can't build a valid point against because she looks 20 yrs younger than she is lol.

And my twin knows my bak account she knows I have more than enough to cover all my bases, she doesn't like me doing it because it takes away my time that I could spend with her.
How exactly are you defining "moral support" vs. "approval"? Can you have one without the other? What do you want them to do or say or how do you want them to do or say it?

Is it like; for example; a dad whose daughter is going to be a stripper? Naturally, he REALLY doesn't approve, but he tells her it's ok with him that she does it although he doesn't think it's a good idea?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Maybe stop asking for your mom's or twin's approval?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just putting it out there.

My mom usually criticized lots of things I did. I compensated by thinking up incredibly detailed explanations of my decision-making process. Which is probably why I'm an engineer now. I'm guessing that won't work on your Mom or twin.

Maybe you could do a little "turning of the tables". Since your mom likes jewelry, you could point out she could have invested the money. Now, she's sitting on non-liquid assets that just depreciate, or at the least, don't really increase in value. Show her the long term price of gold relative to inflation (in the long term). Maybe give her a little guilt trip on the possibility of blood diamonds.

For your sister, if she's just doing the general criticism of tuners - "why not buy a better car", "why spend all that money on something that depreciates" - don't look for approval. You could point out that your mods were bought with your diposable income. Maybe show her your budget (Unless of course, you're buying mods when you should be paying rent, buying food, or re-paying loans).
When did I say I need their approval? I clearly stated the car is mine the money is mine. What I am seeking is their moral support.

My mom doesn't buy jewelry she buys creams which I can't build a valid point against because she looks 20 yrs younger than she is lol.

And my twin knows my bak account she knows I have more than enough to cover all my bases, she doesn't like me doing it because it takes away my time that I could spend with her.
How exactly are you defining "moral support" vs. "approval"? Can you have one without the other? What do you want them to do or say or how do you want them to do or say it?

Is it like; for example; a dad whose daughter is going to be a stripper? Naturally, he REALLY doesn't approve, but he tells her it's ok with him that she does it although he doesn't think it's a good idea?

Maybe stop asking for your mom's or twin's approval? = ask them permission to do it

moral support = moral support
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

From Wikipedia -

"Moral support is a way of giving support to a person or cause, or to one side in a conflict, without making any contribution beyond the emotional or psychological value of the encouragement."

So you want them to support and encourage your modding although they haven't (in the past) given their approval (or permission)?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

that's what I'd like:

"Moral support is a way of giving support to a person or cause, or to one side in a conflict, without making any contribution beyond the emotional or psychological value of the encouragement."

NOT permission to do it (i.e. "yes Claudia you can buy the exhaust")
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I know it's been said throughout this thread, but, I'll rehash.

C, sometimes people just don't understand the interests and hobbies that people have. It can be hard to "get" the whole addicted to your Scion thing. I have it, but some of my friends give me a hard time for spending so much time on SL and the like, but it's what you love to do.

It's unfortunate that your family doesn't offer the support that you were hoping for. Quite honestly, jewelery seems like more of a frivolous buy than car stuff, but that's just me.

I will say that I fkn love those wheels... they make me wish that I had a tC (well maybe not ) but maybe at least 5 lugs.
You made a really nice choice (I see you went Italian, I can't say I'm surprised)

So I guess what I'm saying, bottom line, is since you're making the money going into your car, what you do with it is really only your business. I guess if it was me, I would try to stop looking for feedback from people who you know won't feel as strongly as you do.

I wish you luck with your family, and make sure you get those wheels mounted. They're foxy as hell.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

follow in the steps of our great president. Just ignore everyone and do what YOU want! Sweet rims FTW!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, yeah, exceptionally nice wheels, kiddo. I like those a LOT better than most I've seen, and the boldness of the design should set off the tC rather nicely.

Tom
Old 04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
I will say that I fkn love those wheels... they make me wish that I had a tC (well maybe not ) but maybe at least 5 lugs.
You made a really nice choice (I see you went Italian, I can't say I'm surprised)

I wish you luck with your family, and make sure you get those wheels mounted. They're foxy as hell.
Thank you for the kind words =)
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Oh, yeah, exceptionally nice wheels, kiddo. I like those a LOT better than most I've seen, and the boldness of the design should set off the tC rather nicely.

Tom
yeah that's what I was shooting for, bold and unique =)
Old 04-05-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Momz quote "It's just a car" .....Blahhhhhh.....

Hell No its Not "just a car"....You your blood, Sweat and Tears into your car and its like your Child!....You just wanna make it look the Best it can!!!

I get slack from my Bro sometimes too....

I continue to spend money and Mod my Hotnezz...hehehehe
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Drama becuase of new rims

I feel your pain. My familily members fraked out when I bought a scion. They insist that I got to their freind that sells brand new Hyndias Yeah right

They can call it whatever they want (frigerator). It's your car. Should be proud of it (unless you own a Hyndia).

BTW nice rims.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to go a tad off topic. But any pics of the rims on the car?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ Not on the car yet
Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

not yet still have to buy the tires
i'll post pics up here and a new thread once they are on =)
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hola C, Hey chica you can move to Florida and Ill take care of ya and you can spend all my money on your car and then your momma dukes cant hate LOL.

@}~~'~~,~~>>>
Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thanks for the rose!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are always going to be people who do not understand why we do what we do. My gf is like your mother and twin sister, always rolls her eyes when I tell her about my new mods, or how much I spend on what... I eventually learned to shut her out and dont mind what she says

Honestly she does the same thing, every week she spends a few hours and god knows how much getting either her nails, or toes, or facial done... I just don't get why there are some that think what we do is so stupid when they themselves do the same.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont brag to my family. I know they dont care about what it does or how it looks. I know they care more about the money I spend. Half the time they dont notice, so no questions are asked and no feelings are hurt. After a while all the parts add up and stand out. By then its too late for them to say anything.

Quick Reply: fed up