Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Final nail in the HD-DVD coffin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Final nail in the HD-DVD coffin?

It's not looking good for HD-DVD. Oh well...I like Blu-Ray better anyhow.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what really annoys me is that the HD-DVD is a better technology, and that blu-ray is just the current dvd technology with more space..... still uses the same codec scheme, so its easier for blu-ray players and computers, etc... too bad that HD-DVD is going the way of betamax (and note this, both betamax and HD-DVD are BETTER quality than their competition)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Good, I jumped on the Blu-ray wagon.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll wait till the war is over with now what will replace the blueray dvd's down the line in the future???
Old 02-15-2008, 05:38 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by equinox2355
what really annoys me is that the HD-DVD is a better technology, and that blu-ray is just the current dvd technology with more space..... still uses the same codec scheme, so its easier for blu-ray players and computers, etc... too bad that HD-DVD is going the way of betamax (and note this, both betamax and HD-DVD are BETTER quality than their competition)
QFT.. *sigh*..
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I see this as a potential win/win situation. If we can finally get everyone on the same page, there will be a more consentrated effort to improve and tweak the technology that supports the format. Not to mention a better selection of movies.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

but right now there really isn't much need for tweaking, if HD-DVD has already been shown to provide better quality..
why waste money and effort to support and improve the other format?

just like many people mentioned, just like mike mentioned, just like cnn mentioned..
it's just like beta vs VHS way back then.. (and beta was well far superior)

but just like the wars back then... i really wasn't surprised people leaned towards Sony...
Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not convinced that HD-DVD is "better" than Blu-Ray. In terms of picture quality (which is what I care about the most) Blu-Ray looks freaking amazing.

Besides, my point was that it doesn't really matter which one wins. I just want to see one win and one dissapear. Once we settle on one format, there will be all kinds of improvements (no more 5 minute load times ) and a better selection of movies. Plus the prices will eventually come way down. I mean come on...$400 for a single disc player? That's pathetic. It reminds me of the first microwaves for $400 or the first top-load VCRs for $500. We'll soon see nice BR players for $150.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
Originally Posted by equinox2355
QFT.. *sigh*..
x1000. I'm sad to see things go in favor of Sony and BD.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

blu-ray is just easier to say......I dont know when to stop saying letters with HDDVDHD aw...f8ck!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by matt_a
I'm not convinced that HD-DVD is "better" than Blu-Ray. In terms of picture quality (which is what I care about the most) Blu-Ray looks freaking amazing.
have you compared them side-by-side? have you read reviews elsewhere online, if not?

blu-ray is only winning because of the different movie studios choosing to side with Sony.. along with most consumers.

Sony is pulling off the media war again using all their resources to push their format... from the betamax vs VHS history repeating itself again..

to how the Playstation pushed DVD sales in the past... and now the PS3 doing the exact same... providing an affordable media player that supports Sony's format.

but honestly.. as much as I'm siding with HD-DVD... I don't own any media player with HD or blu-ray support.

from the beginning, I knew that Blu-ray was gonna push HD-DVDs out... cause of one reason.. it's SONY.

but here ya go... comments from a reputable review site, CNET
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-13817_7...5.html?tag=nav

Originally Posted by CNET
CNET is recommending that you refrain from buying any Blu-ray or HD DVD player--or movies--in the immediate future.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
have you compared them side-by-side?
Honestly...no. I have seen both, but not side-by-side. I don't own either one yet. Like I said before, I just want to see one clear winner. I think we'll all benifit from it instead of the industry trying to support both.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thought I'd clear up a few things. First, Sony was the company who made Betamax, VHS was pushed by JVC, so equating VHS winning the last format war to Blu-ray winning this one isn't quite accurate. Second, the HD-DVD rendering software was iHD, developed by Microsoft; Blu Ray uses Java. If you think HD-DVD would free the manufacturer from licensing issues, think again. We see how well Microsoft does in the MP3 market, licensing PlayForSure, then not using it for their own Zune player, rendering those who licesnsed PlayForSure incompatible with Microsoft's own product!

As for the technical comparisson, the blue ray hardware seems more expensive at the moment, but the price is dropping. Blue Ray can pack about 6x content compared to a DVD, HD-DVD can store about 3 1/4 vs. DVD.

I hate Sony's past performance, from forcing people to usew their own proprietary BS flash memory sticks, the mini-CD, no support for MP3 for the longest time, PS3 arrogance, rootkits, etc, but I'm no fan of Microsoft either. I'm just hoping something is standardized soon, but don't really care at the moment since I don't own an HD TV. Until the sets become more prevalent, I don't see this replacing DVD's. It's also kind of sad to think that the PS3 is the cheapest Blu Ray player you can buy (~300 eBay, 400 Wallymart), at least you can then play Grand Turismo 5 Prologue with it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a ps3 and an hdtv. the transition from dvd to bluray was amazing for me. before i had the hdtv, i just thought my friends with ps3s were exagerating. until i saw the clarity with my own eyes. as for hd-dvd, ive never seen it first hand so i can't really say much about video quality. however, walking through best buy i see the movies that are available on both formats and i think hd-dvd has so many more better movies. (excluding the newer movies which are coming out on both formats). but my friend also told me that since bluray is winning the format war that we might get backing from more movie companies.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The only reason BD is going to win, is because Sony forced it by putting in the PS3. If you compare actual HD-DVD standalone players vs Blu-Ray standalone players, the numbers are near identical. Quality is the exact same on both formats, I've seen them side by side and there is no difference. The worst part about all this, is that so many people are jumping on the BD bandwagon because they think it's the next big thing. BD will never replace DVD. BD is just a temporary upgrade until Digital Distribution comes out. The fact that BD doesn't have enough space available for a full length 1440P movie, is enough proof that BD is worthless. They might be able to squeez it onto a 4 layer disc, but that would be that ALL PS3's sold (which accounts for about 85% of BD players sold) are completely obsolete, because they cannot read 4-layered discs.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by vettereddie
I hate Sony's past performance, from forcing people to usew their own proprietary BS flash memory sticks, the mini-CD, no support for MP3 for the longest time, PS3 arrogance, rootkits, etc, but I'm no fan of Microsoft either. I'm just hoping something is standardized soon, but don't really care at the moment since I don't own an HD TV. Until the sets become more prevalent, I don't see this replacing DVD's. It's also kind of sad to think that the PS3 is the cheapest Blu Ray player you can buy (~300 eBay, 400 Wallymart), at least you can then play Grand Turismo 5 Prologue with it.
yea.. sorry for being unclear.. just caught up in the moment of Sony's ways of pushing proprietary formats that i will agree with you there..

bleh... well.. Sony did the thing with the PS2 and DVDs.. being an affordable DVD player at the time..

and yeah.. wild to imagine back then DVD players cost as much as current stand-alone HD-DVD and Blu-ray players now.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so Carbon, HDDVD can fit 1440p movies on their discs?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThisDudePaul
so Carbon, HDDVD can fit 1440p movies on their discs?
Quote me where I said that.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you didnt. i'm just asking. because you said bluray couldnt fit it on their discs so i assumed hddvd could. and you said that's enough proof that bluray is worthless. so if hddvd cant fit it either, doesnt that make them worthless also?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThisDudePaul
you didnt. i'm just asking. because you said bluray couldnt fit it on their discs so i assumed hddvd could. and you said that's enough proof that bluray is worthless. so if hddvd cant fit it either, doesnt that make them worthless also?
Yes, like I said, it's a temporary upgrade, not a replacement.

Quick Reply: Final nail in the HD-DVD coffin?