Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Flipping the bird while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Flipping the bird while driving?

Here's the deal. I just flicked somebody off while driving. Have you guys ever flicked somebody off while driving or what are your feelings on it? My roomate who was riding with me got really mad at me for doing it and we had a serious arguement. I tried explaining to him that it happens everyday in big cities and its not a big deal. Would he rather have me flick somebody off or have an accident. It was the other drivers fault for the record. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would he rather have me flick somebody off or have an accident.
I don't follow the logic. How exactly does flipping someone off prevent you from getting into an accident?

It was the other drivers fault for the record.
That's great and all, but it still doesn't prevent said faultfull driver from following you home and on the way calling in a posse of his boys to whip the ever living crud out of you and your buddy. Or worse, hodling a 12 gauge out of the window and blasting away. As you say, it happens everyday in big cities, but that is a big deal.

Personally, I find it a silly thing to do that does nothing but invite trouble into your life.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thank you for your response. You're right, my logic is flawed there, it still wouldn't prevent an accident.

I was just shocked that my roommate took such a strong stance on something I thought was relatively insignificant.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i just got flipped off by a lady in a ford about 45 minutes ago when i was going to our other new car lot down the road. She pulled out in the middle of the road , only looking 1 way. I was about to T-bone her , but luckily i wasnt going that fast and slammed on the brakes in time. she just stopped in the middle of the road and flipped me off.

i just waved back to her and she sped off. Flipping someone off can get you killed...it happens around here.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I usually wave and smile when someone flips me the bird too.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have always given people the thumbs up, when they do something really stupid. Irony and saracasm work better imo. makes them think more.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw, there could be some regional differences here. In the NE, it might just be so common for yall that it only expresses a mild irritation with the current situation. Like a "dang this sucks and you suck for making it suck" type of thing. However, in the south, it's a definte fight starter, and every now and again leads to a Hatfield and McCoy type of blood fued.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
btw, there could be some regional differences here. In the NE, it might just be so common for yall that it only expresses a mild irritation with the current situation. Like a "dang this sucks and you suck for making it suck" type of thing. However, in the south, it's a definte fight starter, and every now and again leads to a Hatfield and McCoy type of blood fued.
from texas myself. know exactly what you mean. people will get out of the car and open your door to whoop your ___ if they can.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Interesting point scionofPCFL.

I was told "you shouldn't do it because it's rude"

Well, its not the first time people are going to experience rudeness in there lives. Do you want to know what I think is rude? Not paying attention to basic traffic laws and putting other drivers in danger. That was my basic take on it.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is people who don't use their turn signal, and i seemingly cut them off, because i don't know what they're doing and then they look mad at me or flip me off. i use turn signals religiously.

i had a woman yell out at me abuot it, I said "don't you know how to use your turn signal?" "She said, what are you a cop?"

she didn't understand turn signals aren't just for cops.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I've found that you're way, way better just letting things go. If someone cuts me off, so be it. It isn't worth getting into an altercation over it.

I was driving once and this guy behind me had his brights on. Unbeknownst to me, one of my passengers in the back seat flipped him off. The guy went to pass me on the left, I figured I'd let him pass, so I pulled over to give him space. He stopped the car next to mine and started giving me a hard time... saying stuff like "I'm gonna F you up." I honestly had no idea why he was so pi$$ed, so I was like "Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about." Then he said "you'd better check your boy in the back seat before you get your fkn head split open" I told him I'm sorry and I'm not responsible for his actions... then he left.

He had his girl in the car with him, but I can only imagine if he was alone or had some other guys in the car with him, it might've been a lot nastier. So yea, it's just not worth it.

Oh, and now, whenever that guy rides in my car, he has to keep his hands in his lap.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

when i was in vegas earlier this month, i saw 2 cars honking the hell out of each other and flippin each other off to an extent where the finger of one of the drivers were sticking out the passengers side of their car...and they were driving! it was interesting cuz i never seen that before lol
just thought id share
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticac
I was told "you shouldn't do it because it's rude"

Well, its not the first time people are going to experience rudeness in there lives. Do you want to know what I think is rude? Not paying attention to basic traffic laws and putting other drivers in danger. That was my basic take on it.
I couldn't care less about being rude to someone else being rude. In fact, I like it when someone else is being rude, becuase it allows me to get all my frustrations out on them ;-)

And this aint no bull: My brother and uncle (my oldest bro and my dad's youngest bro were close to the same age) were out driving around. Some folks cut them off, so my bro and uncle flip them off. There's jawing back and forth, and the dudes (there are 3 of them) follow my bro and uncle home (both of which are about 16 at the time). Bro and uncle come rushing in to tell my dad what's up, my dad meets them out in the back yard and whips the crap out of all three of them. I was only 6 or so, but I remember the dudes yelling that they were going to get somebody and that we'd be sorry. Well my dad perches himself on the roof till 4 in the morning with a shot gun, but nobody came. The next day, we go out to eat and come back home around 8pm and our house is ransacked. And I still remember looking at my bed with the matress turned over and thinking, "they were looking for me."

True story, 100%.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

that sucks. but its funny that ur dad was sitting on the roof with a shotgun lol
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow. I'm sorry to hear that experience you had. I was stubborn to realize that many people may take it further than they should. Ahh what the world is coming to...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Default Re: Flipping the bird while driving?

Originally Posted by nauticac
flicked somebody off
Flicked? What, your boogies?

To me, being flipped off means "eff you". I don't think, ever in my life, I have heard someone say "eff you" while shopping or walking down the street. I don't feel that just because you're in the comforts of your own car, that it makes it okay to flip people off.

I will give dirty looks or raise my hands up in a confused gesture with a ____y look on my face but NOT flip a person off.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

When I drove bigger cars, i would just swerve into the "offenders" lane. Now that I drive the box I usually just stick with flipping them off... but I've been called an a-hole on more than one occasion. ;)
Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

been there done it had it happen.

best one was driving a dodge dakota during a TSD rally and a s2000 flipped me off for driving like a jackass... and then driving to a car show i passed an oly lady at 105ish.

i can say though i gave a guy the good old number 1 because he almost took off my front end he stopped like he wanna gonna kick my ___ i just took off into traffic and boogied accross town, the next day he tried to pull out in front of me then went the other way..i wish he would have turned and fallowed me i would have just turned into the state petrol office that was 100yards down the road..
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by backseatchris
i just got flipped off by a lady in a ford about 45 minutes ago when i was going to our other new car lot down the road. She pulled out in the middle of the road , only looking 1 way. I was about to T-bone her , but luckily i wasnt going that fast and slammed on the brakes in time. she just stopped in the middle of the road and flipped me off.

i just waved back to her and she sped off. Flipping someone off can get you killed...it happens around here.
Don't you love when people f up and get mad at you like you should wait/get out of their way.

I trying to make a left turn into a Wendy's and some lady was trying to pull a left out of that same enterance but she couldn't wait for me and pulled out into traffic but had to stop in the middle to let me in. She ofcourse calls me the a$$ hole when she should have just waited like a good little lady. I just smile as I narrowly pass by.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just full throttle it when someone ____es me off. I know they hear my exhaust, cuz one time I scared some old lady when she made a really slow turn. I revved and she jumped. I felt bad after that...

Flipping someone off, I wouldn't recommend it. First it makes you look like an a-hole, and also can turn out bad if the other person has anger issues. I've done it once, but people are still going to drive like idiots no matter what.

I sometimes want to get a stack of DMV books, and throw one at someone's car, but then that'd be littering...maybe if their window was rolled down I could chuck it in there and yell "READ IT YOU IDIOT!"

Quick Reply: Flipping the bird while driving?