Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Gas Price Rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Problem is this will never end .. today its OIL tomorrow, I fear it will be that ethanol fuel mix. I read somewhere that they are selling that for about $2.50 a gallon. Clearly a much cheaper fuel, yet they still want to profit, so unfortunately that factor in the equation will never go away. The only way to beat the system is grass roots I'm afraid. Use an energy supply they can't regulate. So bust out the bike, or develop an efficient pedal powered light weight body vehicle that can carry a couple of people.

Otherwise, as it has been said before, use your toys more efficiently. Because as long there is money, someone will want more of it.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

^^^ Good point! It's a neverending story.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to look at how the past couple years have put a strain on gasoline. Think about the SUV boom, all of a sudden Americans are buying a whole ____ load more of gasoline. When I see the 100lb woman driving the 6000lb Suburban I think to myself (WTF!!!). Americans need to downsize their commuting vehicles. I see motorcycles and mopeds and the like becoming more and more common. I pay $6 to get me a 130 miles of commuting and I wasn't being gentle with the right hand either. Back to my point, people are driving way more of a vehicle than they need to. Carpooling offers a solution because that lady with the suburban can actually use the extra 6 seats her vehicle has. I have a feeling that the American and SUV boom in general contributed to the cost of gas today. Think about how less crowded the roads would be if most people would trade in their gas guzzlers for somethign smaller. I know everyone can't ride a motorcycle but for those who can, why not? Figure you sell your SUV for $20k but a new bike for $4k that leaves you with $16k for gas, insurance and other related expenses. Sorry for the mess of idea but I didn't feel like wasting time on organizing my arguement when I have already found the solution. Pce
Old 04-22-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only way gas is going to lower is if consumption drops below 3%. Also now you have half the population of china competeing with the american driver for the same barrel of oil...... its basic supply and demand, we demand more for the same supply that is being produced, the gasoline supply pie is being divided up more and more.

Also Bush and his pipe dream of messing around in the middle east is not helping, it has destabilized the area. and now with all the talk of Iran being a target, (and it does not matter if it is or isnt it is the talk PERIOD) that is making things worse, investors are concerned thus making things worse.
and it has been said before, there is nothing we can do, other then demand less.....
Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about bring back regulations by the state, stupid deregulation was stupid! i remember it a few years back that its a good thing!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For lowest gas prices in your area this might help:

www.gasbuddy.com

If you think you are burning too much, compare and log fuel usage at:

www.brianbauer.org
Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Has anyone here mentioned that the oil companies last year made record profits?

Also I travel to the UK frequently, and what a lot of people are doing over there now are propane conversions, a sort of a hybrid. My uncle has a jeep grand cherokee over there, he converted to propane, so the vehicle runs on both gas and propane, and his mpg was i think more than 25% improved.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The reason i think that we are getting it with gas is because we continue to bend over and take it. All we need to do as a country is show restrain when it comes to gas useage. I belive if we could carpool more use our bikes it would start to go down. I also belive the goverment is right by pass new regualations making the suvs have at least 25mpg. By rasising the standards in mpg i think that could also help. Another point we need to look at it the way our goverment uses the mpg configeration on new cars. This method is over 30 years old we need to divise a new system of figuring this out. Some cars bost that they have over 30mpg with the old system of figuring it out but in all actuality its below that around 23-25 mpg