Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Global Warming: Aint no stoppin' it now....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Global Warming: Aint no stoppin' it now....

Not so gloom and doom.

The gases that are warming the Earth have built up over hundreds of years. They do not disappear or dissipate easily. Even if the world adopted the most far-reaching plans to combat climate change, most scientists agree that the concentration of greenhouse gases will continue to rise for the next few decades. In other words, global warming is already baked into Earth's future.

Between them, these two countries {India and China} are currently building 650 coal-fired power plants. The combined CO2 emissions of these new plants is five times the total savings of the Kyoto accords—that is, if the Kyoto targets were being adhered to by Western countries, which they are not. Even under the most optimistic scenarios the industrialized world will continue to burn substantial amounts of coal and oil.
Readers Digest: Learn to adapt to a hotter, drier, and more ocenaic future.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Even if everyone bought a hybrid this year, the rock has built enough momentum to where it's going to roll down to the bottom of the mountain, no stopping it now.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

You mean more Humidity here in Houston.....Oooo Yay...Cause I would love to have mosquitos year round
Old 02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Not one person on this Earth knows for sure. It's all speculation. We will not know for sure until something is done and we do "adopt the most far-reaching plans to combat climate change." So, let's not do what the "scientists" want us to do...give up and CONSUME more. You have to realize who these "scientists" are paid by.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By 2100 we'll see something? Good I'll be dead by then. lol Let them worry about it. Maybe we can convice all these "new" industrial countries to use nuclear power instead. Then NASA can have a 100% reliable space program and we can just launch all the waste into the sun!!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone read popular science?
the best plan i've read, is take just one oil tanker full of powdered iron, and dump it around antartica, where the water is rich in nutrients, but anemic.
We would have a monster bloom of phytoplankton which would consume huge amounts of CO2, and effectively end any global warming.
The problem is, adding that amount of phytoplankton into the ocean would cause a massive ripple effect on our ocean's ecosystem(aka, the food circle) and how bad it alters it is unknown.

a test of just 2000 pounds of powder iron was done about 4 years ago, and it proved very successful.

So we can cheaply and easily combat global warming, but the consequences of it may be worse for the ecosystem and all the countries that live by fishing.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsa3mm
Not one person on this Earth knows for sure. It's all speculation. We will not know for sure until something is done and we do "adopt the most far-reaching plans to combat climate change." So, let's not do what the "scientists" want us to do...give up and CONSUME more. You have to realize who these "scientists" are paid by.
Not saying give up, but to be real about the situation. Do you have any idea what the "most far reaching plans" would include? It would mean to shut down completely all power generation on the planet for starters. All of it. Is it worth it? 100 years ago people had 15 kids with the hope that 7 would make it to adulthood, and the average life expectancy was 47.

What hes saying is that with the limited amount of resources we have, we had better dedicate them to living in this more enviromentally hostile world. It's far cheaper, and will be pay dividends much quicker to start now with new codes with building at sea level, dealing with more powerful storms, and learning to farm and cultivate food in a world that is a few degrees warmer. (keep in mind that the ice age was only 5 degrees cooler than current temps).
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
By 2100 we'll see something? Good I'll be dead by then. lol Let them worry about it.
There's an idea, let's have our offspring deal with it. After all our ancestors gave us our addiction to oil. Ignorance is bliss right?

I'm still not too convinced on the whole global warming thing. Even if it is happening, I don't think there is anything we can do to counteract it. Everyone forgot that twenty years ago people thought we were headed straight for an ice age. I remember being taught this in elementary school.

Not AT ALL a Michael Moore fan, but he said it right in "Bowling for Columbine". We are a scared society and anytime anything is off pace in any way, we freak out and assume the worse is around the corner. Need an example? Remember in the mid to late 90's when they predicted Africanized Bees would take over the southwest? What ever happened to those things? I swear, the way they grilled that into my mind as a child at school (here in the South West), I thought the bees would kill me, my family and everyone I loved before I graduated from HS.

I'm not saying that we should't realize what is going on around us, but when something goes wrong, even a little bit, we as a society flip out and assume Hell is around the corner for all!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
anyone read popular science?
the best plan i've read, is take just one oil tanker full of powdered iron, and dump it around antartica, where the water is rich in nutrients, but anemic.
We would have a monster bloom of phytoplankton which would consume huge amounts of CO2, and effectively end any global warming.
The problem is, adding that amount of phytoplankton into the ocean would cause a massive ripple effect on our ocean's ecosystem(aka, the food circle) and how bad it alters it is unknown.

a test of just 2000 pounds of powder iron was done about 4 years ago, and it proved very successful.

So we can cheaply and easily combat global warming, but the consequences of it may be worse for the ecosystem and all the countries that live by fishing.
interesting idea. the oceans are dying and fish stocks have been plummeting, so this could be good.

But then, a herd of 150 ton blue whales could really mess up a cruise, ya know?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Its a conspiracy maaaaan
Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Scientists also had facts saying that there is global cooling back in the 1980's.
Anyone read popular science back then?
Africanized bees, Bird flu, SARs ...Anyones else what to name a few? It's a new year time for some new boogie man.

DOOM. DOOOOOOOM.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Scare tactics = control
Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scientists also had facts saying that there is global cooling back in the 1980's.
Actually, that was the 70's, and from everything I've read, we've learned a lot in the last 30 years, and our weather models have been aided quite a bit by computing power.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

1970's.... doom.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
Its a conspiracy maaaaan
Your buddies agree:

(And the more family-friendly version)
Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who actually reads about science here?

africanized bees are still coming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee

and yes we'll still get an ice age. just because we have "global warming" doesn't mean it isn't happening. See when the earth gets warmer, eventually the core will get warmer, when the core gets warmer, more volcanoes go off, shooting soot and ash into the atmosphere, blocking out suns rays causing cooling. It won't be evident til a lot more volcanoes go off. (anyone who thinks a single volcano doesn't do squat, anyone know how far ash from mt. st. helens reached? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1...ens_ashmap.png ).

Did you know that a water of near boiling water freezes faster than water at 70degrees?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THE END IS NEAR!!! and are you prepared?

not me thats for sure
Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually did a few studies on it here in the university, and is planning to do a few more. All I can say is that the same people that is running around saying global warming is gonna kill us all also wanted to band wind power because it confuses lizards and kills birds. Protested on solar power because it turns birds into KFC, and wanted to put out geothermal because it cools down hot springs. Hydroelectric dams are pretty much banned from building because it kills salmons.

70% of the power generated in the US is from coal and oil as of this moment. It is not impossible to power the entire country of america with solar power. Fill half the state of New Mexico with solar panels will do. It will probably cost the same amount of money as the amount spent on the war on Iraq. But noooo, american spend money on hummers and explorers while institutions that are doing researches are constantly getting fundings cut. I work under an engineering department where professors drive old cars and us graduate students gets paid just enough to pay rent. I am "fully funded" by the school while my family still has to give me money to prevent me from getting starved to death.

And frosty is right, global warming isn't the only thing that's gonna kill us. There are epidemics, weapons, and humm, stuff we are growing that would kill us more effectively.

sorry for the whining.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yall do what you want, I'm buying a house in the mountains, and I'm hiring a bunch of Afghanis to add on to it!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bet I am more likely to be killed by a car accident than global warming. But I must quote Colbert "Tip of the hat to you 11ft of snow in NY" About all I got of it prob more to it but damn funny. I heard once that if the state of Texas was turned into a wind farm it could power the whole country. Hmm, wonder if anyoen has stocks in wind farm equip. Maybe sell and oilrig to jumpstart that project. <_< >_>

Quick Reply: Global Warming: Aint no stoppin' it now....