Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Goodbye tC hello STi

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Goodbye tC hello STi

Well, I don't know why but it seems like everytime I get deployed here to the desert, I start thinking of buying a new car. Last year when I was here, I ended saving up my money and bought a tC when I got back. And over the past 7 months that I've owned my car I found myself spending quite a bit of money and accumulating a small amount of debt in order to make my car look nicer or perfom better. And to top it off, lately I had been thinking of buying the new turbonetics turbo kit for my car when I got back to the states.

Now don't get me wrong I've come to quite enjoy my tC, even love it, but as each dollar that I've spent and each credit card that I've maxed out starts to finally sink in, I've come to realize one thing. No matter how much debt I get, it is after all just a tC. Sure a turbo tC would be a very beautiful thing. And up until yesterday, that was what I was planning on doing. But for some reason, maybe it's the desert air, I've started to consider just trading in my car and getting an EVO 8 or a WRX/STI.
I know I'll probably get bashed for whatever reason, but out of the $30,000 price range the only 2 cars that I seem to be able to justify spending that much on are either an EVO or a WRX. A 350Z or G35 would be nice, but as far as price goes if i'm gonna spend that much I'd better get a turbo car.

I know Subaru has better reliability and over better quality, but I like the EVO's styling more. On a small side note, WRX's are extremely played out here in Washington. I live on an airforce base and there alone are probably 20 different WRX's. I don't normally see too many EVO's around here which I like. That was one of the things that originally attracted me to the tC.

Now that I take a step back and see what my car has become after the debt has accumulated, I've decided to just stop wasting my time and get a car that I'll be happy with(for a little while at least). When I say happy I mean it's got a turbo which is good in my book and visually I like it. On the reliability side, we'll see.

Well, just wanted to share my story with you guys. And no matter what happens, it's been awesome talking to you guys and learning many new things about tC's. If I go through with it. Look for quite a yard sale from me of a few parts. That dealership's not getting my aftermarket stuff. I'll probably be selling my Grillecraft grills, my Injen CAI, my TWM stage 2 ss, GReddy shift ****, and what the hell, probably my little TRD Grill emblem. So anyway, peace out. I'll still be on the forum, for a couple more months, until I sell my stuff. Later
Old 02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're accumulating debt and you want to switch to an EVO?

It sounds to me like you just need to stop spending for a little bit and THEN decide on a new car. If all is well for you than why not, the EVO is nice and quick.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The debt's not as bad as it sounds. Maybe a couple grand. Just tired of spending so much to make my car "quicker" when I can just buy a quick car, and probably should've done so to begin with. Also, I'm gonna be going to Germany in August for 4 months and to make a long story short I'll be coming back with somewhere around 8 grand.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes
Old 02-12-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey bro, deployments suck. i know. but if your dropping parts, pm me. i may pick something up
Old 02-12-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by qrymson
hey bro, deployments suck. i know. but if your dropping parts, pm me. i may pick something up
Definitely man, once I get back(should be middle of March) I'll let you know.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yep I know how the overseas tours go, when My hubby got back his present was his tC I would just sit on it and stop spending and if you still feel the same way in March just trade it in for the EVO. Your money, you buy whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I'm not gonna buy more parts for it while I'm here in the desert, that's for sure. Hopefully I'll get a good trade in amount for it. Had it 7 months and only have 4400 miles.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

id sell it private party, you will get more for it...........
also if your thinking of getting an EVO, I say go for it. EVO's are awesome cars.............

good luck with the descion!
Old 02-12-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I could get more private party I would, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I checked on edmunds.com and they had a pretty good trade in value of almost 17,000 for it. That would be awesome, cause I only have like 12,000 left to pay on it, so I'd be getting almost 5grand profit. And I'm sure they'd end up marking it up for sale at like 21,000.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you for your service btw and don't get your evo loving "a" killed.
i'd say buy what makes you happy. i like the evo over the sti, just me, opinion kind of thing i'd assume.
the evo may also be next for me if i don't buy a couple year old audi s4. i am partial to the audi s4 but i also rue having to buy an older one (can't afford new pricing just yet).

gl
Old 02-12-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do like the sti, but I like the evo's styling more than the sti. And after driving the tC I think it would be a nice upgrade.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by InjentC23
I do like the sti, but I like the evo's styling more than the sti. And after driving the tC I think it would be a nice upgrade.
clearly, hence the price difference. also, there will be a lot more room for "upgrading" an already "deep pocket engineered" turbo engine as well. i'm on the same page actually.

the nagging problem for me is it's a mitsubishi product.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it is mitsubishi, but I say this now, but we'll see; I don't plan on doing much to it once I get it. Now a warranty on a $30,000 car is definitely something i'm gonna be using to the full extent.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got 15.5 k for my tC on trade, which is more than I could have sold it for private party. Plus, when you trade the car, you only pay sales tax on the difference, instead of the entire price of the car.

Good luck, I traded mine for a WRX and I love it. Although I didn't want a $30k car payment, so I bought a used one. But hey. if you can afford it...go for it.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by niksmr2
I got 15.5 k for my tC on trade, which is more than I could have sold it for private party.
good god.. i follow the links to the 240 project and finally get to page 6 to see the bay painted?...jeez, a lot of work to paint an engine bay....dang cliffhanger bs. where are the photos of the finished 240?

(jk with the indignant thing.)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by niksmr2
Plus, when you trade the car, you only pay sales tax on the difference, instead of the entire price of the car.
Not true. Varies by state. I know for a fact Texas participates and California won't allow it at all. They'll take taxes out on you as much as they can get.

OP- do wht you feel you need to do. If you're jsut putting money into something that doesn't make you tingle anymore than move onto what you want.

I just got rid of my xA for a Jetta and I'm not really regretting it much. It's a little higher performing, higher safety rating, curtain air bags, more buttons to play with... all instead of having to upgrade my xA that I had.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the way they're marking up Evo's, I'll probably try to get one used through the dealer. At the most I'll get one with 10,000 miles. Something that still has a warranty on it. And yeah, the tC doesn't really make me "tingle" anymore.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I've been doing some research on the Evo as far as reliability and what not and wow, not too sure I wanna put up with a lot of the crap I've been reading about. Nice looking car, but for that price range I should probably just get an STI or at least a Wrx sedan. As far as I've been researching, very good reliability. I had mentioned in the first post about there being quite a few wrx's runnin around where I live, but oh well. If the car performs great and has good reliability to bat, I figure I can be played out as well.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ isnt there a new skyline coming out? Maybe you should wait for that

Quick Reply: Goodbye tC hello STi