Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Goth Music Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Default Goth Music Advice

*edited to clarify something. "Goth" is used for lack of better terminology.*

Okay, warning. This is about my 11 year old child. Please withhold any mean spirited comments about him. Not only is he just 11, but he's also my son, kwim?

So my son up and told me the other day that he wants to be goth. My oldest baby is growing up and is thinking about things other than toys and video games... I have mixed feelings of being excited that he's growing up and sad that he's growing up.

Anyhow, I know old school goth, at least before Nirvana came and sort of shook up the alternative scene and I grew out of it. I should say that I was as goth as I could of been, since I was attending a private Christian school, lol. I told him I can show him how to be goth... and that there was nothing cooler than having your mother teach you your style, lol! I foresee myself embarrassing him in front of his future gothy friends with that! (if he even sticks to this, lol)

So, he wants me to load goth (I take goth as meaning alternative... right?) music in his MP3 player, lol. He is just now discovering music and I only know the older bands, which will go on the play list, for sure. I know there is newer alternative music and such but haven't the faintest on what they are. Like, I can guess "My Chemical Romance" but I'm not sure and am not sure of their hits.

So, here's what I need. I need a list of music that I should download for my soon-to-be gothic son. Go ahead and mention old alternative, new alternative, whatever.

What I don't want is to be explained the differences of this and that type of Goth or the proper ways one becomes one.... we're talking about an 11 year old (who is just now testing the waters of style and music) I don't want to be told about how letting him do this is bad... I'm only supporting him with finding the music he thinks he wants to listen to and maybe let him have some more black articles of clothing, lol. And most importantly, don't make fun of him. He's such a great kid!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's cool he wants to explore different cliques.

Some good bands for him are: AFI, HIM, Evanescence, Korn, Disturbed, The Used, Fallout Boy, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, TOOL, Mudvayne, Stone Sour, Slipknot.

There are a lot more, and this is considering you want him listening to the more laid back, punkish goth stuff. I'm pretty sure you don't want him listening to the screaming and gurgling sounding music.

I used to work at a record store also, and I would recommend getting the clean versions of some of these artist songs since he's only 11.

If you DO want a list of the screaming, I can sure help out :D
Old 01-08-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

iheartzombies, yes the laid back stuff is probably best at 11 years old, lol. Thanks a bunch for the band suggestions... I'll be downloading them in the next few days.

Probably means I'll have to listen to them too at some point. I think I'd rather stick to "Kid's Stuff" on Sirius but no, he's too cool and too old to listen to Laurie Berkner and The Wiggles now. *sniff*
Old 01-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Iheatrzombies... Fallout Boy is goth? I don't really follow goth, but man, if Fallout Boy is goth, then I have been completely misled.

For the rest of the bands you listed, they are some good choices, with the exception of Slipknot. They are way too hardcore (screaming and such) for an eleven year old.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was listing more of the main steam stuff. I know he said he wants to be "Goth" but by todays music and standards Goth isn't the same. I figured just because he said goth doesn't mean he can't have a little variety.

I see tons of Gothic kids every day with falloutboy bracelets and the such. In fact I bet by goth he might even mean Emo.

If I was listing real Goth bands no one would have any idea what I was talking about.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think before you start pointing him in any direction, you should find out exactly what he is looking for.

I know the kids that are "goth" in the school I work at(6th to 8th grade) have no clue what goth is. Apparently all it means now is a pair of black pants, and a black shirt every few days.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

iheartzombies...you are mixing genres...AFI, HIM, Korn, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, TOOL, and Mudvayne are Metal...Stone Sour is more melodic metal..and Slipknot is California Speed Metal.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you forgot about "voltaire"
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Madzozs
I think before you start pointing him in any direction, you should find out exactly what he is looking for.

I know the kids that are "goth" in the school I work at(6th to 8th grade) have no clue what goth is. Apparently all it means now is a pair of black pants, and a black shirt every few days.
That is exactly what he's looking to do. Wear black and listen to "cool goth music". He's only 11 and knows nothing more than that. Next year at school, he might know a bit better as he'll be in middle school as a 6th grader. He doesn't get a lot of exposure to goth or anything else in elementary school.

As far as pointing him in any direction, music wise, I plan on uploading the older alternative and the newer stuff. Hopefully he can appreciate the old stuff, along with the newer.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well, like iheart said, he's only mentioning 'top 40 goth' 'melodic metal'??? GMAFB!

i have a strong feeling that 'being goth' is alot more about feeling alienated from the mainstream cliques than it has to do with the music.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Yes, Melodic Metal...Metal that can be understood by most people...because let's face it not everyone can understand the lyrics to Metal...well...or Rap for that matter.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Originally Posted by Madzozs

That is exactly what he's looking to do. Wear black and listen to "cool goth music". He's only 11 and knows nothing more than that. Next year at school, he might know a bit better as he'll be in middle school as a 6th grader. He doesn't get a lot of exposure to goth or anything else in elementary school.

As far as pointing him in any direction, music wise, I plan on uploading the older alternative and the newer stuff. Hopefully he can appreciate the old stuff, along with the newer.
Basically, the only advice I have for you now, is let him choose the clothes he may want to wear, and make him watch "Nightmare Before Christmas". He'll be set with pre-teen goth kiddies for years.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People are thinking he MUST listen to ONLY goth music.

No, he's just a kid. Just because he wants to be Gothic doesn't mean he wants to listen to real Gothic music.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you would like my advice...as a person who used to be in the "gothic" scene...

Since he is only 11, he probably doesn't understand what "goth" is. A true goth is sullen, morose and lonely...hence the darkness surrounding the "goth" culture. He is confused and is linking kids wearing black, with piercings, and being as outlandish as possible as goth. These are just kids spreading their wings and trying to push their parents to the limits...and experimenting. Goth is dark...period. If I were you, I would do some searches online to see that the "goth" lifestyle is really about and you can make the determination on whether or not "goth" is for him or not...most likely you will say no!!!

I would concentrate on leading him towards as much positive energy and interaction as possible. He can still listen to whatever he wants, or what you deem acceptable, but he doesn't have to be a "goth" per se. He's young and impressionable and it's your responsibility as his parent to ensure he is exposed to things that will bring happiness into his life...not sadness. But I digress...

However, if you want some real "goth" music...search Christian Death and Rozz Williams. Rozz was a pioneer in goth and unfortunately took his life a few years back...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

my 2cents, just monitor him... he's 11... my son is 13, went through the goth and emo stage, now he's into some other crap... just remember to listen to the music he wants first, or at least look up the lyrics... i refused alot of music to my kids, and i still do... not because of the way it sounds, but the message it sends... you'll be alright...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

ecxb242, I think it takes a lot more than just a decision to become sullen, morose and lonely. And of all the kids I see that are "goth", myself included, were not like that.

As an 11 year old, and I said this already, he only thinks of it as wearing black and listening to a certain genre of music. He calls it goth. I know that it's not "true goth". If there is a better word for it... and sounds as cool as goth, then let me know.

Lets use an anology...

I rather not him be into rap and dress like Snoop Dog and be all "Yo, I be chill'n" and stuff. But if he did, I don't think that means he would go out and join a gang, smoke weed and have himself some _____es... like you see and hear the rap stars go on and on about. The culture isn't what he'd be after (I hope). just the music and style of it.

Anyhow, back to just some Gothic song suggestions like I wanted, lol.

YES, Nightmare Before Christmas... my husband and I were talking about that.

So... any more music suggestions? Band and Song would be awesome. I think starting out with the most popular of certain bands would be the best.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by zereaux
my 2cents, just monitor him... he's 11... my son is 13, went through the goth and emo stage, now he's into some other crap... just remember to listen to the music he wants first, or at least look up the lyrics... i refused alot of music to my kids, and i still do... not because of the way it sounds, but the message it sends... you'll be alright...
Good advice. Not looking forward to listening to the new stuff though. I am, however, going to make a bunch of Cure CDs for the car. I was obsessed with them for years and would love to listen to that with him.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say start him on some classic rock. if he's really interested in music. Black sabbath, Led Zep., Ac/Dc, Pink Floyd, Dio... all that stuff. But for more popular bands right now, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Fenix TX (kind of older), New Found Glory, Finch, Plus 44, Taking Back Sunday, Angels and Airwaves, Rufio (also a bit older), Saosin, Smashing Pumpkins, Gym Class Heroes, Linkin Park, Rancid, The Starting Line, H2O, Rage Against the Machine, Head Automatica, Rise Against (fast and hard but very positive messages in their songs), Thursday, Thrice, The Ataris, Midtown, Yellowcard.

I'm assuming he's refering to this style as goth for lack of a better word. Goth as we all knew it is kind of dead. It seems like your son is looking for ways to just express himself, and music is one of the best ways. All these bands I listed are a good starting point, some are harder than others and some are a little slower and softer. It's a pretty rounded list I think. A lot of it is what is popular now, but also what was popular in the past few years.

I know my parents started me on the oldies when I was young. (50's, 60's, and 70's) and from there i kind of explored for myself. My dad kept restrictions on what i could listen to for the most part (cursing etc..) but once i turned 18 i was free to choose what i wanted. Especially now with ease of downloading, kids can get a hold of music a lot easier than we could when we were young. But with what was popular when YOU were in your "goth" stage can also be popular now for him. Make him the cool kid thats into the "vintage" alternative (nirvana, bush, live etc..)

I think a lot of people misconcieve goth though, its not as bad as the media likes to portray it. And I also think kids think they are "goth" when they really arent. Goth in its simplest form is personified to me by Marolyn Manson, but thats just my $0.02

the art of expression is they key to individuality.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I'm surprised you didn't mention He Is Legend.

Quick Reply: Goth Music Advice