Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Goth Music Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, HIL is a little too hard for 11 y/o in my opinion, but check them out too if you'd like! esp their song "I Am Hollywood"
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

There's no way we could give me the particular songs and not just the band? I don't think I'll be downloading all of every band's albums, lol.

I appreciate all the help, and the thoughtfulness on what would be appropriate, given his age.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

specific songs is gonna be tough, i'll try and make a list and get back to you...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah if you're getting them from limewire, type in the band name and download the songs with the most downloads, those are the most popular.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, thats what i was gonna say
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Yes, Limewire. I didn't know it showed how many it has been downloaded. Guess I don't pay attention, lol. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iheartzombies
I think it's cool he wants to explore different cliques.

Some good bands for him are: AFI, HIM, Evanescence, Korn, Disturbed, The Used, Fallout Boy, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, TOOL, Mudvayne, Stone Sour, Slipknot.

There are a lot more, and this is considering you want him listening to the more laid back, punkish goth stuff. I'm pretty sure you don't want him listening to the screaming and gurgling sounding music.

I used to work at a record store also, and I would recommend getting the clean versions of some of these artist songs since he's only 11.

If you DO want a list of the screaming, I can sure help out :D
Man, i think you've got the worst taste in music of anybody on this board, WOW!

Anyways, that stuff is NOT at all goth.....not one bit, though i must give you props on 'tool', with the exception of tool that stuff is just ____ty nu-metal, fake emo and metal-core, how the ____ is ANY of that even REMOTELY goth? Oh thats right...it's NOT!

I'm not "goth" myself, but i've got several friends who aer, and i've been to some goth clubs etc, anyways, have him check these bands out so he can see if he likes the music. Theres nothing wrong with being "goth", it's been around for a while, and it does NOT mean that the person has to become a drugged out freak or anything..

Here are some REAL goth bands and bands that goths listen to:

Check out: bauhaus, The Sisters Of Mercy, Tones on Tail, Joy Division,
Christian Death, Eva-O, Love and Rockets, Peter Murphy, The Stooges, 45 Grave, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, and the Cocteau Twins to start, if you want more suggestions let me know.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by xdorkx
Christian Death, Love and Rockets, Peter Murphy, The Stooges, 45 Grave, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, and the Cocteau Twins
I was really into The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths and the Cocteau Twins back when I was all gothy, lol. Those and similar go on the MP3 player first.

I don't know if many of the songs I listened to back then were gothy as much as they were just alternative. Heck, I'm not sure what the difference between the two are. I'll also add some, what I'm sure isn't considered goth, XTC, Cake, Jane's Addiction, Tori Amos and such. And Nirvana... someone said here that that was old school... wow. I'm getting quite old, lol. I'll be sure to put Nirvana on. I can do old school non-mainstream whatevers.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some good bands for him are: AFI, HIM, Evanescence, Korn, Disturbed, The Used, Fallout Boy, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, TOOL, Mudvayne, Stone Sour, Slipknot.

There are a lot more, and this is considering you want him listening to the more laid back, punkish goth stuff. I'm pretty sure you don't want him listening to the screaming and gurgling sounding music.

I used to work at a record store also, and I would recommend getting the clean versions of some of these artist songs since he's only 11.

Anyways, that stuff is NOT at all goth.....not one bit, though i must give you props on 'tool', with the exception of tool that stuff is just ____ty nu-metal, fake emo and metal-core, how the flip is ANY of that even REMOTELY goth? Oh thats right...it's NOT!

I'm not "goth" myself, but i've got several friends who aer, and i've been to some goth clubs etc, anyways, have him check these bands out so he can see if he likes the music. Theres nothing wrong with being "goth", it's been around for a while, and it does NOT mean that the person has to become a drugged out freak or anything..

Christian Death, Eva-O, Love and Rockets, Peter Murphy, The Stooges, 45 Grave, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, and the Cocteau Twins to start, if you want more suggestions let me know.

Are you even reading the thread man? What an idiot. I'm not recommending REAL goth music, an 11 year old kid doesn't want to hear that.

I don't even listen to any of the bands I posted. I was only listing artist I thought her son would like.

My favorite bands are Job For A Cowboy,Fear Before The March Of Flames,Norma Jean,Heavy Heavy Low Low, and usually any Grindcore I can get my hands on.

Do your homework before coming into a thread and being a total f*ckwad.

P.S. I hate TOOL with a passion, and it's funny you say you like them so much, gives me an idea of how much of a chotchbag you are.

edit: Wait a minute, I know you. You post or posted over at notpopular.com, and everyone hated you. Jeez. Mr. Bon Jovi Tatted up JEFF.

Tell me, do you still wear the Golf Hats?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, someone should not try to be any style. If they like a specific way of dressing or music, they can get stuff for it. But pigeon-holing yourself into one clique isn't healthy. I say give them a broad range of music and let them determine if they like it or not. Don't get stuck into the labels and you'll be fine.

If they want to fit in with the "goth" crowd, listening to mainstream music isn't the way to do it. They'll just be labeled a poser and will get picked on by both the normals and the people they admire. "Goth" music has many different veins. Some are like classic rock, some are just "dark," some are electronic, 80's and others as such. Most "goths" I've encountered are into Metal (heavy, death, or black), Industrial, and EBM. I would recommend stuff like London After Midnight, Diva Destruction, Birthday Massacre, Combichrist, Cruxshadows, Faith and the Muse, KMFDM (although I wouldn't really call it goth), Switchblade Symphony, Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ, and some classics like Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Bauhaus, etc. Check out who does remixes of these bands and you can find massive networks of other great bands.

Personally for an 11 y/o I'd stick to the classics and let them find their way. Also debatable in its label amongst the clique, but everyone loves Nine Inch Nails (at least the early stuff) and Nirvana (not goth, but every person I've ever encountered has loved Nirvana).
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyways, that stuff is NOT at all goth.....not one bit, though i must give you props on 'tool', with the exception of tool that stuff is just ____ty nu-metal, fake emo and metal-core, how the flip is ANY of that even REMOTELY goth? Oh thats right...it's NOT!

Are you even reading the thread man? What an idiot. I'm not recommending REAL goth music, an 11 year old kid doesn't want to hear that.

I don't even listen to any of the bands I posted. I was only listing artist I thought her son would like.

My favorite bands are Job For A Cowboy,Fear Before The March Of Flames,Norma Jean,Heavy Heavy Low Low, and usually any Grindcore I can get my hands on.

Do your homework before coming into a thread and being a total f*ckwad.

P.S. I hate TOOL with a passion, and it's funny you say you like them so much, gives me an idea of how much of a chotchbag you are.

edit: Wait a minute, I know you. You post or posted over at notpopular.com, and everyone hated you. Jeez.
Yeah, you listen to fbtmf, and norma jean...enough said. So before you try to tell me what great bands you listen to, maybe you should actually listen to some great bands first.... just my 2 cents. Nuff said.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, Mr. Jeff, now you don't make any sense.

You said I had the worst taste in music, and you didn't even know what I listened to. Besides, you shouldn't belittle every type of music just because you don't like it. You're acting like your bands are the best, and it's not true. Act your age man.

Things haven't changed from notpop, you're still an idiot. Go fight with hazenjay.

Sorry for the derail Jenna. :D
Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Okay, I'd like to take a minute to clarify something. In fact, I'm half tempted to change the OP and the title of this thread and eliminate the word goth from it.

My son is 11 and him even uttering the word goth and somewhat knowing what it meant in regards to it being a genre and style or whatever, was shocking. I don't think he fully understands the Wikipedia meaning of the word, nor do I. I looked, I got confused.

Goth is the best he could and I could describe it. The kid wants to wear black, the kid wants to listen to the music associated with the style of dress. He hasn't determined that he'll like the music yet, nor will I insist he does.

If he doesn't like the music, I think he's intelligent enough to move on to a different genre. He's really been into things like Dragons and mythical things for a few years now and well, if wearing black tickles his fancy, I guess that's okay by me. I'll pick and choose my battles with him. His self expression isn't high on my list of things I want to be dictating him about, to a point.

I feel that at 11, he doesn't need to worry about listening to what other's feel is the correct goth music or being portrayed as a "poser", Skeorx13. If he does choose that sort of stuff, he'll learn and progress to what HE feels is right for him. I hope that he choses what he wants based off of what he wants and not by the "normals" or whoever, kwim?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.voltaire.net/
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Eh, not much of a problem with me. I knew it would happen at some point, lol. When I was typing about how I didn't want a lecture on what the right way to be goth (or something like that) in the OP, I thought about everybody else debating about it amongst themelves.

IMO, there just ain't no right or wrong type of music to listen to. If you look up Goth, there is like 10 different types of Goth out there. If I can get "close enough" and "considered by some" music suggestions that are kid friendly, I'm all ears. He can choose between them as to what he likes and go from there.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I also want to add that since Christmas, he's been addicted to the MP3 player I got him. The music I loaded on it initially is all the Spongebob songs, Fairly Odd Parents, KidsBop, Avatar and Alvin and the Chipmunk songs I could find.

He is just getting older and although he does like those songs, he is recognizing that it's time for him to move on. He hasn't shown any interest in the music my husband (rap/hip-hop) that my husband listens too or mine (everything under the sun) except for some of The Cure.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just don't let your kid be all emo
Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
just don't let your kid be all emo
I second that...................... I think thats the stupidist thing I've ever seen in my life... Don't let your kid wear makeup either... to me, thats just wierd. My Own Opinion, I'd smack the crap out of my kid if he wanted to do that to himself!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i saw everyone debating on how hardcore they were a mile away! hahaha! i love it, anyway i would delete the word goth from the OP, cause it doesnt seem like hes looking to be GOTH in the sense of the word. I'm sure hes just looking to get into a rock style and music and referred to it as goth.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, Mr. Jeff, now you don't make any sense.

You said I had the worst taste in music, and you didn't even know what I listened to. Besides, you shouldn't belittle every type of music just because you don't like it. You're acting like your bands are the best, and it's not true. Act your age man.

Things haven't changed from notpop, you're still an idiot. Go fight with hazenjay.

You just told me you listened to fbtmof and norma jean....thats pretty crappy music. And my bands ARE the best, music is something i know alot about, which is more than i can say about you...even HAVING worked at a record store, you told her those were 'gothy punky bands'? come on mannnnnn and get a haircut while you're at it.

Quick Reply: Goth Music Advice