Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Goth Music Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xIxAMxHOLLYWOODx
i saw everyone debating on how hardcore they were a mile away! hahaha! i love it, anyway i would delete the word goth from the OP, cause it doesnt seem like hes looking to be GOTH in the sense of the word. I'm sure hes just looking to get into a rock style and music and referred to it as goth.
Exactly, that's why I listed the bands I did. I knew some idiot would come along and go, "LOL U HVE THE WORST TASTE EVR."

It's for the kids man, for the kids.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Emo... yes... not very educated on that. From what I see, it seems ridiculous but I don't exactly know if that's the truth or my age talking.

Somehow I was noticing on YouTube that a lot of Emo boys like to kiss each other (don't ask how I got there, lol). Very odd and I don't know if that's true, lol.

xIxAMxHOLLYWOODx, I will put a little somethin' something' on the OP.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdorkx
You just told me you listened to fbtmof and norma jean....thats pretty crappy music. And my bands ARE the best, music is something i know alot about, which is more than i can say about you...even HAVING worked at a record store, you told her those were 'gothy punky bands'? come on mannnnnn and get a haircut while you're at it.
You're serious aren't you?

I'll get a haircut when you learn proper grammar, stop acting like a kid, (really you're almost 30) and realise that the world doesn't revolve around you.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

emo or emotional has been blown out of proportion! just like goth was back in the day. emo is often associated with guys with longer hair (beatles style haircut) and a lot of music about how girls hurt them. atleast thats how it started...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of people depict emo nowadays as stuff like Taking Back Sunday and Brand New. Most people don't know how far back it goes though, and that it always wasn't about wearing girl jeans and eyeliner.

Talking about the good stuff like Drive Like Jehu and Maximillian Colby.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by iheartzombies
A lot of people depict emo nowadays as stuff like Taking Back Sunday and Brand New. Most people don't know how far back it goes though, and that it always wasn't about wearing girl jeans and eyeliner.
I think those are the ones that look really stupid... I mean come on... Bunch of dudes walking around in TIGHT pants, eye liner, and you hardly ever see one girl with them... Makes you wonder whats really up there... And then the fact people see them kissing eachother on the internet... Yeah, a little wierd...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SicktC06
I think those are the ones that look really stupid... I mean come on... Bunch of dudes walking around in TIGHT pants, eye liner, and you hardly ever see one girl with them... Makes you wonder whats really up there... And then the fact people see them kissing eachother on the internet... Yeah, a little wierd...
Yes, I agree.

Even where I live I'm starting to see this everyday in town. It's sad, but it's just a fad, and I'm hoping it will go as quick as it came. I'm willing to bet walking up to them and asking what they listen to will provide some funny answers.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, yeah I suppose if you maybe clarified a bit further as to what you were looking for him music-wise, we could narrow down the field a bit. Liking to wear black is quite a broad spectrum (even supermodel types wear all black at times). That doesn't necessarily mean they like one specific type of music over another. But anywhoo, I'd stick to the classics then. If you and your husband have mp3's just make a library on the computer and toss it on random and let him pick out what he likes. Hell, even throw on an internet radio and see what he likes there. (winamp has a pretty good diversity for music stations: http://www.shoutcast.com/)

Forgive me if any of my text seems harsh or ill sounding, it's hard to show emotion and/or sarcasm properly when typing.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey xdork maybe if you quit posting stupid crap then you will quit gettin owned by zombies.

no stupid crap=no ownage.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey xdork maybe if you quit posting stupid crap then you will quit gettin owned by zombies.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

You know, this struck up a pretty meaningful conversation here... Good opinions and Bad opinions, still, good topic though.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jenna, I saw you mention the Cure. Make him listen to every song they have ever written and make him love it.

Then if he digs it all, throw in some Morrissey like you mentioned you listened to back in the day. That isn't something his friends will know about, but it's hopefully a way to expose a whole bunch of kids to that awesomeness.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i really dont know how ppl listen to that Goth stuff, it just seriously disturbs me, and anyone around me. and then to dress like that? all black with the makeup and chains and shi*t, not too cool. kinda 1995 if you ask me.

i know im criticsing, but i listen to most types of music, except heavy rap ____ and goth, death, speed, metal shi*t.

gimme TBS, FOB, Brand New, Quantice never crashed, atreyu anyday..along with the likes of mainstream rnb, like ne-yo and stuff liek dat...so anything really.....but the way i dress? Pretty much preppy emo....although I DO wear mans friggin pants and I DONT wear makeup, lmao
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talking about the good stuff like Drive Like Jehu and Maximillian Colby.
Alright, props for THAT music...yeah, emo started back in 1983 or so with the band 'rites of spring', though some say it even started before that with husker-du, but that's debateble
Old 01-09-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz

Sorry, i dont recal getting 'owned' by anybody..sorry to dissapoint you...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xdorkx
Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz

Sorry, i dont recal getting 'owned' by anybody..sorry to dissapoint you...
SSShhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Madzozs
Jenna, I saw you mention the Cure. Make him listen to every song they have ever written and make him love it.
I would love that. If he loved The Cure, I'd even help him rat up his Robert Smith hair.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats weird that when you read the posts your eyes just skip over zombies posts....might need see doc bout that
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

xdork relax... people have different tastes in music. It's really okay to have different opinions. "My bands ARE the best" really? That's a pretty arrogant statement. The whole topic of the thread was to find music for Jenna's son, not to discuss what sucks and doesn't suck, or what goth is or isn't.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
xdork relax... people have different tastes in music. It's really okay to have different opinions. "My bands ARE the best" really? That's a pretty arrogant statement. The whole topic of the thread was to find music for Jenna's son, not to discuss what sucks and doesn't suck, or what goth is or isn't.
I agree, lol. When was the last time anyone ran into an 11 year old and thought he had the best taste in music, evah, lol. The kid is just starting out and many people on this thread realized what kind of music would be good for him.

Quick Reply: Goth Music Advice