Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

The GT4 Challenge Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The GT4 Challenge Thread

okay, some of us started this on CSTC, its kinda cool, and real simple.

Each week (beginning on Mondays) there is a different challenge, ie. a specific course to be driven with limitations on HP, Drivetrain, Class (production, tuner, JGTC, full race car, etc..), and potentially tires. We could get creative and throw in more restriction classes still (eg. Nissan Only, NA only, etc..).

For example: This week the challenge is
Autumn Ring
FWD Production cars only
400 HP limit; open tires...and thats is basically.

Best lap time wins the challenge for the week (and maybe gets to pick next challenge?) Players are on the honor system as far as reporting their actual times and adhering to Challenge restrictions. Some players at CSTC have uploaded pics, but its not realistic that everyone will be able to, and it would clog up the thread too much anyway.

The challenge will be fun for those GT4 enthusiasts (like me who have a who garage full of cars at their disposal. Winning will be based on choosing the right car (handling, braking, accle, etc..) for the course, and having it properly tuned in all ways yet adhering to the HP restriction. So far, we've had some very close times from a variety of players.

I think a good rule of thumb would be to only post if you have a top time (or close). Though there will inevitably some convo back and forth ("what setup are you using with that skyline" etc..) so its all good.

When you post, post with the course (just to make sure we're all on the same page, no pun intended), your car, mods (ie. turbo or NA stage__, tires, other relevant mods, nitrous setting, etc..), and your best lap time. That way, other people can "copy" your setup and try to beat your time, thus proving who really is the better "driver", as opposed to who has the better car.

Best way to go about it is to run practice (no other cars, duh) laps at whatever course it is. Plan your N20 usage to last about at least a few laps, so you can get up to speed and get to know the course a bit. Tune your tranny setting to maximize your gearing for the course. Your lap speeds should get progressively quicker.

I've thought about the possibility of CPU AI effects like traction control and the assists and stuff might give unfair advantages, but i've found that if you alter the under/oversteer or TCS settings too much (actually i turn off under/oversteer assist) you can negatively affect performance. eg. if you're trying to drift a course, but the TCS limits your throttle when it detects wheelspin, you'll slow down thru the corners. at the same time, if you turn TCS off and your car is overpowered, you may spin tires a lot and not go anywhere.... so i figure to just leave it alone and we'll see if it becomes an issue.

So there it is. Not too hard right? We've had good initial success on CSTC, I know with at least 3x more people on here (and should be 3x more GT4 players too, no?), it could get really interesting.

Good luck to all. LET THE GAMES BEGIN! (sticky please??)

-patty
Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

so that's this weeks challenge?

there was something like this a while back actually.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I say something on the Ring...Fastest time with a certain car/tires.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Autumn Ring
FWD Production cars only
400 HP limit; open tires...and thats is basically.

the bar: 03 SRT4 Stg 2 Turbo w/racing intercooler, standard exhaust, no chip- 384HP on Racing SS
--------1:19.722 Lap
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ DC5 Honda ITR
Original Turbo kit, sports exhaust, no chip-395hp
Racing Super Softs; nitrous =70
--------1:19.36
bested myself by 3 tenths! hooray!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for exposure
Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds like a nice challenge. I havent played GT4 in a while Il have to do this tonight.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a good excuse to play. and if your already playing anyway...why not make it a little more fun?

ideally, after a while, everyone will have one or two sweet cars that they are known for, which will set the stage for rivalries and stuff.

good luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I think that the limit should be based on power to weight ratio instead of power alone...all someone would have to do is find a rediculously light car and bump it to 400 hp... if you set a power/weight ratio cap, it will level the field considerably, narrowing the variables down to skill :D
Old 02-22-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeetC
I think that the limit should be based on power to weight ratio instead of power alone...all someone would have to do is find a rediculously light car and bump it to 400 hp... if you set a power/weight ratio cap, it will level the field considerably, narrowing the variables down to skill :D
we're trying to have as few restrictions as possible to keep it interesting.

If everyone wants to use a ridiculously light car w/ 400hp they can (its easier said than done to find this "perfect car"), in one of our first challenges, we figured out pretty quick that the Louts Motorsport Elise would be one of the top qualifiers, and a few different people turned in good times with their respective cars.

however, the likelihood that you'll find a car with EXACTLY 400hp are not great. so say you have an Elise w/ 350hp. I may challenge you with a 400HP RX7. You may have a more favorable power:weight ratio, but my HP advantage may come into play, depending on the course.

basically, a power:weight ratio restriction is too nit-picky. you're basically retricting weight and power, which depending on the limitations, it may limit you to only a few cars to choose from.

Certainly, having A "power:weight ratio restricted race" would be a cool idea. But not for a week-to-week standard.

The car with the best power:weight doesn't always win. Drivetrain, wheelbase, ride height, suspension setup, tires, nitrous setting, and pure driving skill all are factors as well.

Obviously, a good starting point for any challenge is to find a car with the best power:weight ratio that adheres to the power restriction, but that doesn't mean you will automatically win. Someone else may choose the same car and outdrive you, or someone may have a slightly heavier car, but is just a better driver on that course.

Once we get rolling, you'll see why its better to restrict EITHER power OR power:weight in a given race, not both concurrently.

Try it: Autumn Ring FWD 400hp Production/Tuner Cars Only, Open tires
or
Apricot Hill Open Drivetrain, 400hp, Production/tuner only, open tires.

its much more fun to play, than to sit around talking about it all day.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im so addicted to GT4, its my favorite game. Ill try this tonight and see if I can get a decent time.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Apricot Hill (all on soft tires)

Evo VIII Tom Makinen Ed. 388HP -----1.22.96

'88 S13 1800cc (CA18det) 394HP----1.22.53

Opera S2000 388HP------------------1.19.557

I think some guy said he ran 1.11s with an amuse s2000 no nitrous...i have NO idea how, even on supersofts, i still can't see that with only 400hp.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump.

you call the course and class limitations.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

How about a 7:28.xx on the Nurburgring...with a Kawasaki ZX6R :D Tourist Trophy baby!!

OK seriously though, how about fastest time on Grand valley Speedway with a STOCK S2000 on comfort tires.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about a 7:28.xx on the Nurburgring...with a Kawasaki ZX6R :D Tourist Trophy baby!!

OK seriously though, how about fastest time on Grand valley Speedway with a STOCK S2000 on comfort tires.
how about:

Grand Valley Speedway
Production Cars ONLY, 400hp Limit
Open tires

why would u want to race with a stock car? do u not have enough money to mod? stock cars w/ crappy tires are no fun to drive. lol... give it a try. build an s2k up to <400hp and get some racing supersofts, then throw down a few practice laps at GVS.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I have plenty of money to mod...I have 300-plus cars in my garage, most of them fully modded. I usually have 20 or 30 million credits to spend. I chose to race with stock cars to eliminate the variables that mods introduce into an equation. I race on comfort tires because they approximate the real-world performance of summer performance DOT tires. I race to improve my skill as much as possible...fast lap times are just a side effect of that. If I win or lose is of no consequence to me; I want to win or lose to a better, more skilled driver, not a better car or better tires.

That being said, my average lap at GVS in a fully tuned S2000 on SS tires is 1:34.xx; my fastest is 1:31.007.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That being said, my average lap at GVS in a fully tuned S2000 on SS tires is 1:34.xx; my fastest is 1:31.007.
whats your HP at on the S2K, so I can try to find something similar.

btw, if we both raced the EXACT same car on the same course and you had a faster time, it wouldn't mean that you are a better driver (in the game), it would only mean that you drive THAT car better on THAT course.

what you are alluding to is basically like me saying, "well if I had a 900hp supra i would be able to drive to a 9 second quarter mile too"

thats why it makes no sense to say everyone has to use the same car so we can determine the best driver.

if you set the proper limits (drivetrain, power, tires, and course) there should be a variety of cars that will perform very well on that course. Part of the challenge of this thread is to Pick a car that you can tune to compliment the courses specs while still adhering to the limitations.

anyway, i'll give GVS a shot with some silvias, and s2k's and maybe evo/sti's later today...
Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by StealthScion
whats your HP at on the S2K, so I can try to find something similar.

btw, if we both raced the EXACT same car on the same course and you had a faster time, it wouldn't mean that you are a better driver (in the game), it would only mean that you drive THAT car better on THAT course.

what you are alluding to is basically like me saying, "well if I had a 900hp supra i would be able to drive to a 9 second quarter mile too"

thats why it makes no sense to say everyone has to use the same car so we can determine the best driver.

if you set the proper limits (drivetrain, power, tires, and course) there should be a variety of cars that will perform very well on that course. Part of the challenge of this thread is to Pick a car that you can tune to compliment the courses specs while still adhering to the limitations.

anyway, i'll give GVS a shot with some silvias, and s2k's and maybe evo/sti's later today...
Points well taken. I still respectfully disagree, but I definitely respect your point of view. I can't wait for those times
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol...what HP level are u at with your S2K??

lol, because i just ran GVS w/ a 382hp and 395hp MR2-GTS and RX-7 Bathhurst type R, respectively and my best lap times were 1:47.xxx

and when i bumped up the HP to 600 with an original turbo kit, best time was still 1:43.xxx.

which leads me to believe that a) you s2k has WAY more HP than my cars
b) you are racing Grand Valley East section
c)you made up your times

because i don't think theres any doubt that a 16 second differential is possible between 2 equally powered cars on the same course and same tires.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do any of you have Forza on Xbox and Xbox Live? I used to drive in online tournaments on www.gamertag.com , and won a lot of them. That was extremely fun.

Quick Reply: The GT4 Challenge Thread