Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Help me....Please (Lap Top Decission)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Help me....Please (Lap Top Decission)

I'll be going off to College soon to UC Riverside, and i'm in a little bit of a Lap Top Dilema. I don't know what to get...if anyone here is fond of Computers and what not please tell me weather or not this is a good lap top, thanks.

And if not please refer me to a better one. I need a lap to that can satisfy all my college needs and entertainment needs. I can already predict that I'll be cooked up inside for the first year since I won't know a darng person over their in Riverside, anyway one that can at least play any RPGER out their with settings set at Extreme or w/e. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

(And Also I'm planning on paying by payments...because I have no credit so my dad is going co sign with me so that I can start to get good credit like him)

Heres my first choice.....

Area 51 m7700

Heres the link

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-EXTREME

Specs:
Intel® Pentium® 4 670 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.8GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7800 GTX

17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD Clearview Display with Built-in Camera

3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB / 2 x 1024MB

200GB (100GB x 2) 7200 RPM ATA100

8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

Alienware® m7700 Mini PCI TV Tuner

Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS PCMCIA

Total: 4,861.01 or 146 dollars a month.

YAY OR NAY??!?!?

P.S. Whats the difference between AMD and INTEL!?!?!?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhmm just another thing you should consider, is people stealing laptops. It does happen. Both intel and AMD make processor, just different companies. I personally prefer AMD over intel. But whatever you choose just make sure that its a laptop mobile processor. NOT A DESKTOP processor stuck into a laptop. This will drain your battery like crazy.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned
SL Member

So you don't think its overkill, do you? That would really suck if some one would steal it, but I'm very protective over my property. And why do you perfer AMD over INTEL?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Poison
So you don't think its overkill, do you? That would really suck if some one would steal it, but I'm very protective over my property. And why do you perfer AMD over INTEL?
AMD is generally cheaper and gives just as big of an oomph and or more than intel. Oh, unless you are living by yourself, your **** will get messed with. Doesn't matter how protective you are, if someone see's something they like they will steal it. It happens a lot. If you want something with decent capabilities in all areas, good battery life, go check out compaq or dell. I personally hate compaq but I am thinking about buying one, because for a very very reasonable laptop its only 1044. It comes with a really long as battery life, 64 bit processor, video card (not integrated graphics) and wireless and other such novelties such as a decent out of box warranty and big name brand. NOt saying alienware is not a big name brand. they have amazing computers, but i don't think you want to be spending that much money on your laptop to only have it stolen or have it broken through use and abuse. But whatever you choose, good luck to you.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Banned
SL Member

Check this out:

Biometric Key...Only the right fingerprint will unlock your lap top...is that cool or what lol.

But would this lap top play any of those high fly games out their right now like DOOM 3 Set on Extreme or w/e?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check this out:

Biometric Key...Only the right fingerprint will unlock your lap top...is that cool or what lol.

But would this lap top play any of those high fly games out their right now like DOOM 3 Set on Extreme or w/e?
biometric whatever will not matter when you are no longer in posession of your laptop. This compaq laptop will not be able to play doom 3 set on extreme. But it will play it at a still decent lower setting. You might consider a desktop.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by bubblemyster
AMD is generally cheaper and gives just as big of an oomph and or more than intel. Oh, unless you are living by yourself, your **** will get messed with. Doesn't matter how protective you are, if someone see's something they like they will steal it. It happens a lot. If you want something with decent capabilities in all areas, good battery life, go check out compaq or dell. I personally hate compaq but I am thinking about buying one, because for a very very reasonable laptop its only 1044. It comes with a really long as battery life, 64 bit processor, video card (not integrated graphics) and wireless and other such novelties such as a decent out of box warranty and big name brand. NOt saying alienware is not a big name brand. they have amazing computers, but i don't think you want to be spending that much money on your laptop to only have it stolen or have it broken through use and abuse. But whatever you choose, good luck to you.
You've been very helpfull sir! I would to stay away from Compaqs, never seen a decent one in my life lol. I've only had one thing stolen in my life; that being my mountain bike that I left outside. I learned from then on to always look over my gear. Heck I even have a lock on my closet....why? I just don't know lol. Alienware does sell backpacks and what not that you can carry your lap top in which are pretty sturdy from attack.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You've been very helpfull sir! I would to stay away from Compaqs, never seen a decent one in my life lol. I've only had one thing stolen in my life; that being my mountain bike that I left outside. I learned from then on to always look over my gear. Heck I even have a lock on my closet....why? I just don't know lol. Alienware does sell backpacks and what not that you can carry your lap top in which are pretty sturdy from attack.
well it seems you are dead set on this computer, so good luck to you.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Banned
SL Member

Check this out:

biometric whatever will not matter when you are no longer in posession of your laptop. This compaq laptop will not be able to play doom 3 set on extreme. But it will play it at a still decent lower setting. You might consider a desktop.

Your right about that, but thats why they have this baby lol

Quote:

With nearly 1,000 notebook computers being stolen everyday you have to protect your Alienware notebook computer and its valuable data with this affordable security product - the DEFCON CL. The Targus DEFCON Combo Lock (CL) is 6.5 feet of cut-resistant, galvanized steel cable that loops around any secure object and easily attaches to your notebook's lock slot. The DEFCON CL features a user-settable combination lock with up to 10,000 possible settings and the included security base plate is perfect for your home or office.

Inexpensive Protection
Unfortunately, notebook theft is common - but you can help avoid it with this simple to use device.

Customizable
Easily set your own 4-number combination from up to 10,000 alternatives.

Compact
Coils up to take with you anywhere, because you'll need it everywhere.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Banned
SL Member

I need a lap top to take notes in class lol, some teachers fly through notes like theirs no tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need a lap top to take notes in class lol, some teachers fly through notes like theirs no tomorrow.
You could always just ask them to slow down.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Banned
SL Member

You could always just ask them to slow down.
You try that in a class of 40+ lol.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My opinion...

If you need a laptop for taking notes in class, you'll want something with GREAT batterylife and very portable. Pentium Mobile processors are the best way to go for battery life, power, and portability. You may also want to consider a tablet PC (I use an IBM X41 tablet) if want to be able to write your notes and then convert them into type.

If the primary purpose of the computer will be playing games and internet, get a desktop. In which case I highly recommend Dell's business class (Optiplexes) machines, Sony, or Alienware (ABS Computing makes decent machines, but pricey). I am a huge fan of AMD's in this case...value + power = : ) I use an AMD Athlon at home for gaming and it's great.

If you want something that takes up less desktop space, but will perform similar to a desktop, the Alienware machine you like is just that...a desktop replacement. Its battery won't last very long and it will be cumbersome to carry from class to class...especially w/ a 17" screen! Not to mention the massive power supply that notebook has that you'd need to carry around to keep the battery full. Also keep in mind that almost NO laptop will ever have the same performance potential as a desktop...this means games, video rendering, etc...will not be as good or as fast, GERNERALLY, as a comprable desktop.

You can find a happy medium...a fast Pentium MOBILE processor in a laptop w/ a dedicated (not integrated) video card and loads of RAM with a 15" screen. You could even get a smaller screen and use a docking station w/ a larger screen in your room! This would provide you with good portability, batterylife, and enough power to play games, although they wouldn't be as good as if you were using a gaming desktop. Also keep in mind that if a laptop doesn't have a very large hard drive, it's easy and inexpensive to add an external harddrive to allow for more storage.

Toshiba, IBM, Sony, even Gateway would be places I would highly recommend for the above described machine. IBM also offers built-in bio-metric security features (my X41 won't even get past bios w/ out my finger print) and cable locking systems.

One other thing...AVOID CELERON MOBILE PROCESSORS (drain the battery fast), HP's, AND COMPAQ's AT ALL COSTS!!