Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Hot Pockets

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SVicksTC Posted: 3/11/08 11:07PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot Pockets and Easy Mac...I shower in that ish at school haha.... By far the two best and easiest things to make
Ohhhhhh Easy Mac...Mmmmmmm Its easy, fast and oh so good
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I never liked Easy Mac... it's well worth the extra 10 minutes to make the good stuff.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cheap frozen burritos (like ressers or whatever), I lived off these for like a year in college. Break them in half so they cook all the way through and throw some salsa on top.

Hot Pockets-meatballs and fajita are ok once in a while but like missbenilda-just got overdone on them a few years ago so it has to be a rare moment when I forgot what they taste like that I can stomach them

Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pies-still eat these sometimes too
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id sooner lick the bottom of my shoe before consuming a hotpocket.

5 of the ingredients are known to cause cancer.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Flour Unbleached Enriched [ Wheat Flour, Barley Malted Flour, Niacin, Iron Reduced, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Egg(s) Scrambled [ Egg(s) Whole, Milk Skim, Soybean(s) Oil, Food Starch Modified, Salt, Pepper(s) Extract Liquid, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Butter Natural and Artificial Flavor {Butter Oil Clarified,Butter Oil Lipolyzed,Flavor Artificial,Annatto}, Citric Acid], Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated and, Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated [ with Lecithin, Flavor Artificial, Beta Carotene], Cheese Mozzarella [ Milk Pasteurized, Milk Non-Fat, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto ()), Milk Non-Fat, Flavor], Bacon [ Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrate (Nitrite), May contain : Potassium Chloride, Dextrose, Smoke Flavor, Sodium Phosphate], Margarine [ Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Cottonseed Oil Liquid (and/or), Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Water, Soy Lecithin, Vegetable Mono and Diglycerides, Flavor Artificial, Vitamin A Palmitate, May contain : Sugar, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Color(s) Artificial {Beta Carotene,Annatto,Turmeric}], Seasoning [ Whey, Cheese Cheddar {Milk,Cheese Culture,Salt,Enzymes}, Salt, Buttermilk {Milk,Culture}, Cheese Cheddar Enzyme Modified {Milk,Cheese Culture,Salt,Enzymes}, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Yellow 5, Yellow 6], Contains less than 2% of Food Starch Modified, Yeast, Sugar, Salt, Dough Conditioner(s) [ Calcium Sulphate (Sulfate), Salt, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Garlic Powder, Tri Calcium Phosphate, Enzymes], Yeast Food [ Monocalcium Phosphate, Corn Starch, Salt, Ammonium Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Wheat Starch, Azodicarbonamide, Tri Calcium Phosphate], Whey Dried, Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But at work, Easy Mac is Oh so convenient .....as a matter of fact...I don't think I've had real mac n cheese in so long, I can't remember how much better it tasted than easy mac......
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
INGREDIENTS: ...Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated and, Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated [ with Lecithin, Flavor Artificial, Beta Carotene], ... Margarine [ Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Cottonseed Oil Liquid (and/or), Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated
That was the worst part for me and why I don't eat them. Hydrogenated oil is the absolute worst form of fat on the planet, doesn't even exist naturally and simultaneously lowers good cholesterol levels while raising bad ones. The only reasons they are used is to lower production costs and extend shelf life. Oh, and most restaurants have voluntarily stopped or been banned from using them.

What will they run as the jingle in Mexico? "Caliente Pockets"

BTW, Spaghettio's are good for you.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Really?? Spaghettio's are good for you???
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by IntegreS_350
Spaghettio's own but if I eat too much I get that feeling like I'm about to puke...that nasty feeling in the back of my throat.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come on man.....you really believe that?

They are not the worst food out there, but FAR from good. A lot of that has to do with the fact it contains HFCS.

^ a b Diabetes fears over corn syrup in soda. New Scientist (04 September 2007). Retrieved on 2007-11-17.
^ Theresa Waldron Sugary Sodas High in Diabetes-Linked Compound
^ Bantle, John P.; Susan K. Raatz, William Thomas and Angeliki Georgopoulos (November 2000). "Effects of dietary fructose on plasma lipids in healthy subjects". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 72 (5): 1128-1134. 
^ Whey Protein and Fructose, an Unhealthy Combination. Enerex Botanicals. Retrieved on 2007-1-17.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Tomato(es) Puree [ Water, Tomato(es) Paste], Enriched Macaroni Product, with Calcium and, Vitamin D [ Wheat Flour, Calcium Phosphate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D], Corn Syrup High Fructose, Contains less than 2% of Salt, Cheese Cheddar Enzyme Modified [ Cheese Cheddar {Milk,Cheese Culture,Salt,Enzymes}, Water, Disodium Phosphate], Carrot(s) Juice Concentrate, Vegetable Oil [ Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Canola Oil (and/or), Soybean(s) Oil], Butter Enzyme Modified, Citric Acid, Oleoresin Paprika, Ascorbic Acid, Flavor, Milk Non-Fat Dry, Malic Acid, Succinic Acid
Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love chef boyardee
Old 03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its simple really...if it comes pre-packaged or is fast food, it is not good for you 95% of the time.

Eat what you like but dont kid yourself by thinking most food is good for you. Truth is quite the opposite.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, for a canned food, it's pretty healthy.

I didn't really check it out until I found this blurb from the best lazy cookbook I ever read, A Man, A Can, A Plan:

What seems like a terrible thing to do to pasta is a great thing to do to your body. Each can of SpaghettiOs has 10 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and just 5 grams of fat. And that isn't tomato sauce; (I'm still the uncrowned king of English professor wannabes!) it's tomato puree--one of the richest sources of lycopene, a phytochemical that may help reduce your prostate-cancer risk by up to 40 percent, boost your immune system, and protect against atherosclerosis
It's written by the editors of Men's Health Magazine.

Yes, there is corn syrup, but only 20 grams per can, compared to around 50g per soda, and a fair amount of protein (from soy mainly). Probably the only real bad part is the sodium at 74% daily value per can.

I've read up on high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) vs. cane sugar, and it's still up for debate. Chemically, cane sugar, sucrose, is processed into fructose and glucose, the components of HFCS. it has been linked to obesity, but that is a correlation and not causation. Obese people have a diet with a lot of corn syrup, but are obese because of the super high calorie content of the food, not the sugar type. Diebetics are another case, but need a restricted diet anyway. Believe me, I hear stuff all the time about what to eat, my wife is a nutritionist. It's fun to bug her though when she wants to get KFC.

Nutritional Facts
Serving Size 1 cup
Servings Per Container 2

Calories

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*

Total Fat 8.0 g 12.0% %
Saturated Fat 3.5 g 18.0% %
Trans Fat 0.5 g % %
Cholesterol 15.0 mg 5.0% %
Sodium 890.0 mg 37.0% %
Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g 11.0% %
Dietary Fiber 4.0 g 16.0% %
Sugars 10.0 g % %
Protein 11.0 g 13.0% %
Vitamin A 10.0% %
Vitamin C 10.0% %
Calcium 15.0% %
Iron 20.0% %
Vitamin D 10.0% %
Thiamin 10.0% %
Riboflavin 10.0% %
Niacin 15.0% %
Folic Acid 15.0% %

Pope Pockets anyone?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now this has just turned into a nutritonal fight which i would rather not know what is in it and just munch on it then to know and anaylze it, takes all the fun out..... And the cancer thing what now a days does not cause cancer i mean everyday i hear something else on the news....
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow interesting facts there vettereddie, but I must agree with SVicksTC in that analyzing food takes the fun out of it
Everything in moderation & exercise is all there is for me to know Two easy macs a week aren't going to hurt hehe
Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion_dT
hot pockets that is
HA...check your sig.....It was a Hot Pocket that beat me!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Well, for a canned food, it's pretty healthy.
Well, for a canned food, its better than most canned foods. Most of the kinds have over 40% of your daily intake of salt per serving, which means 80% per can.

Healthy? No way.

I didn't really check it out until I found this blurb from the best lazy cookbook I ever read, A Man, A Can, A Plan:

What seems like a terrible thing to do to pasta is a great thing to do to your body. Each can of SpaghettiOs has 10 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and just 5 grams of fat. And that isn't tomato sauce; (I'm still the uncrowned king of English professor wannabes!) it's tomato puree--one of the richest sources of lycopene, a phytochemical that may help reduce your prostate-cancer risk by up to 40 percent, boost your immune system, and protect against atherosclerosis
It's written by the editors of Men's Health Magazine.
A better ( and healthier) source of lycopene is watermelon. What particular kind of spagettios is the article refering to?

Yes, there is corn syrup, but only 20 grams per can, compared to around 50g per soda, and a fair amount of protein (from soy mainly). Probably the only real bad part is the sodium at 74% daily value per can.

I've read up on high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) vs. cane sugar, and it's still up for debate. Chemically, cane sugar, sucrose, is processed into fructose and glucose, the components of HFCS. it has been linked to obesity, but that is a correlation and not causation. Obese people have a diet with a lot of corn syrup, but are obese because of the super high calorie content of the food, not the sugar type. Diebetics are another case, but need a restricted diet anyway. Believe me, I hear stuff all the time about what to eat, my wife is a nutritionist. It's fun to bug her though when she wants to get KFC.
Depends on who you read I guess. Study after study after study links HFCS to not only obesity but a slowing of the bodys metabolism.

From my own personal experience, cutting HFCS out of my diet has lead to quicker fat loss. I was never a big "added sugar" guy, so HFCS was my major source of sugars. I was surprised on what a huge difference it made when I cut it , and this is without changing my workout and cardio programs.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Going over all the ingredients of every product you buy is just ridiculous...90% of are going to die of cancer regardless of what you eat, so why bother?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow interesting facts there vettereddie, but I must agree with SVicksTC in that analyzing food takes the fun out of it
Ignorance is bliss.

Just wait until you hit 30 and your metabolism changes.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry to thread jack, I'll keep it clean (as much as I can for a Hot Pockets discussion). If you feel depressed, drink more water. I here there's Prosac in it.

Anyone tried the breakfast hot pockets? They scare me more than the $0.50 breakfast burritos in the freezer at Wal-Mart. Also, for some reason the 7-11 hot dogs are really good. There is a new store near where I live, and they seem to actually have fresh ones. 1/4 lb big bite with chili and cheese, onions and sauerkraut for under 2 bucks, just awesome.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Ignorance is bliss.

Just wait until you hit 30 and your metabolism changes.
So let it, I shouldn't have to live my life in fear of something that's going to happen 8 years from now.

Quick Reply: Hot Pockets